PDA

View Full Version : Edge finder questions

milsurpcollector
04-09-2010, 04:24 PM
I bought a B&S edge finder from Enco to use in my drill press.

It seems sort of sticky, it runs true rather than wiggles when I turn on the drill press.

I though that the way you use one is to move the work toward the edge finder until the edge finder centers itself.

Is it defective or am i doing something wrong?

dp
04-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Have a look at this. It explains it pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0od-cp_9dg

Carld
04-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Clean it with carb cleaner and blow dry it and lube the rubbing surface with a pure gun oil or electric motor oil or sewing machine oil.

Using it on a drill press seems to be over kill to me.

JoeLee
04-09-2010, 04:48 PM
I think you may find that your drill press spindle may have too much play in it to use an edge finder and have it be of any meaningful use, also the table where your work sits.

JL..........

Black_Moons
04-09-2010, 06:05 PM
No, you run it into the work till the point where the finder jumps over, a very abrupt and easy to see event thats not really open to interpetation like 'centered'
Typicaly, at around 1000rpms or so.

also insure your edge finder is not magnatised, as this will screw up its accuracy.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/edge/edgefind.html

mochinist
04-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Using it on a drill press seems to be over kill to me.I'm waiting for one of these clowns to suggest ditching the B&S edge finder and getting a Herman Schmidt :p

Spin Doctor
04-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Well, there drill presses and then there are drill presses. Otherwise known as Jig Bores. Really all they are is a glorified drill press. :rolleyes: But I have to admit I have never heard of anybody using an edge finder in a regular drill press.

milsurpcollector
04-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Okay okay guys I know the drill press is a pos especially my home depot floor model Rigid

I am using a x-y table on the top of my drill press. which i use to drill hole for rifle sights on rifle barrels.

currently i use a pin guage and then move to the center using a dial indicator.

I have had mixed results with this combination so I thought I would try the edge finder.

I might just buy a starrett they are only $20

3jaw
04-10-2010, 01:17 PM
It seems sort of sticky, it runs true rather than wiggles when I turn on the drill press.

You have to make it wiggle by "flicking" it with your finger. (That didn't come out right. :D)

Also, a good cleaning and oiling like Carld suggested wouldn't hurt.

dp
04-10-2010, 01:58 PM
You have to make it wiggle by "flicking" it with your finger. (That didn't come out right. :D)

Also, a good cleaning and oiling like Carld suggested wouldn't hurt.

When mine were new the crud they were shipped in was very viscous and they didn't work well. After a dip in the solvent tank and some light oil they work great (Starrett).

Bill Pace
04-10-2010, 04:39 PM
My Starret was also 'sticky' and didnt wanna 'wobble', so I would take thumb and forefinger and offset it a bit -- after a few times of this it limbered up and now works as should.

I'm also a bit surprised at using one on a DP - especially for gun work...