PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Scam

Rustybolt
04-10-2010, 11:57 AM
I've recieved this message in basically the same form from seven different people/ email addresses.

Hello, Thanks for the swift response... I'm okay with the condition and priceof the item and ready for its purchase. My form of payment will be bysending you Check via UPS with a second day air delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the movers fee will beincluded in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up companyto schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location aftercheck has been cashed as I have other properties to be moved alongsidethe item. And secondly , Kindly delete the posting as am definitely buying itfrom you and it would be sad for me to have the payment in the mailonly to be informed of the its sale.I will also wait for the check toclear before i have my mover come for pick up. Would have love to come over for viewing but I'm afraid that might notbe possible due to my work frame. If you have more pics please send soI can have a good look. Do get back to me with your full name andaddress (not p.o box) including your cell and land number so I canmake out payment.

They are always out of state and will put,"a little extra in for shipping"
Of course no check ever arrives.
Other than taking the ad off Craigslist I can't see what other motive they would have.

PTSideshow
04-10-2010, 12:23 PM
It's a new version of the pishing scam, around it ends up being quicker and better if they just transfer the money directly to you account. Or so the TV news goes. Doesn't seem to happen when there is a phone number in the adds according to police.
You can't sell something and not deal with the people one way or other.:D

vpt
04-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah I get that email every time I list something.

If it involves more than a guy coming paying cash and taking the item I don't reply.

KIMFAB
04-10-2010, 01:59 PM
I like to play with these people and waste their time. I have a $2500 check for an air conditioner that I was selling for $125.
The guy wanted it and was going to ship it to Florida? How obvious can you get?
Told him OK, it cost him several dollars for the Fedex envelope (they won't use the mail) and enclosed was a check for $2500.

Oops, his secretary made a mistake and could you send the change back to him? Of course keep $50 for your trouble.

This was the best one so far so it is hanging on the wall.

Normally I go for something like this from my Nigerian prince friend.
http://www.kimfab.com/pictures/money.jpg

RKW
04-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Funny, I have done the same thing and have the fake money orders from one. I really wish I could get them burned for these things but as far as I know it is not possible.

I traced IPs, emails, and area codes for one that was all over the US. I think there is a whole network of these folks who work together. The return address to the money order was to a vacant lot ...

I like to play with these people and waste their time. I have a $2500 check for an air conditioner that I was selling for $125.
The guy wanted it and was going to ship it to Florida? How obvious can you get?
Told him OK, it cost him several dollars for the Fedex envelope (they won't use the mail) and enclosed was a check for $2500.

Oops, his secretary made a mistake and could you send the change back to him? Of course keep $50 for your trouble.

This was the best one so far so it is hanging on the wall.

Normally I go for something like this from my Nigerian prince friend.

Rustybolt
04-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Yeah I get that email every time I list something.

If it involves more than a guy coming paying cash and taking the item I don't reply.

Actually I prefer cash. I always tell people who are interested to come and see the thing for themselves. Since most of what I sell can't be mailed I'm not worried about getting taken advantage of. I'd like to sell what I've got on hand because I have two more tool rooms coming in.

gda
04-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I know it's fun to screw with the scammers, but do you want to give these people your address?

gregl
04-10-2010, 06:00 PM
The way to avoid this nonsense is to not use the email feature of C/L. I list my phone only and state cash only. Never had a problem. Just sold two things this morning to the first callers.

Kibby
04-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I don't even answer CL replies with creepy, fabricated names. Delete and block sender.

I avoid lowlifes, scammers, and lowballers by several emails sent back and forth. If a potential buyer or seller is committed, he/she will continue prompt and verbose communication with you. You can just tell when someone is the real deal. My BS sensor is very finely calibrated.

The Artful Bodger
04-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Do you that if you get scammed on-line you will be compensated by the UN?

I did not know either but I have just received advice that my $250 000 'compensation' is on the way!:D

Frank Ford
04-10-2010, 07:01 PM

One of the guitar teachers in our shop actually fell for that scam, and is out three grand. The fraudulent check cleared, and was later called back by the bank as a complete phony, but he's already sent the change, and his check did clear before the other one bounced back. Wouldn't you know he's the one who always plays the angles to come out just a little ahead on every deal. . .

Your Old Dog
04-10-2010, 08:07 PM
I insist on cash for nearby transactions and US Postal Money Orders for ebay and such. I tell the buyer/seller why I use US Postal Money Orders and that's because if the Money Order is fraudlent the it becomes a federal crime of using US Post Office for fraud.

Most of you guys likely know that if you take a bank check for an expensive item, the little girl at your local bank may not know she just cashed a forged check for you. Weeks later when the bank catches the mistake they come after you. That's why you want US Postal Money Orders only. I won't do PayPal because with them the buyer is almost always right and they just take your money and you can easily be left holding the bag.

Jim Shaper
04-10-2010, 08:13 PM
I have a bit in all my CL listings stating that a valid phone number is required for a response along with the format of the email needing to not resemble spam.

Anything that fails those two criteria gets deleted before being opened.

Even responding to these scammers is providing them a valid email address for you so they can sell it to a list provider. CL's listing email is anonymous (or can be anyway), but when you send one back they've got yours.

Mcgyver
04-10-2010, 09:59 PM
The way to avoid this nonsense is to not use the email feature of C/L. I list my phone only and state cash only. Never had a problem. Just sold two things this morning to the first callers.

I'm the opposite...

use a throw away email, create a hotmail for selling....i'd rather have that out there than real data like a phone#.

99% of the time i won't phone; its internet marketing, respond in kind. For the initial rounds at least email is so much easier....i'll cruise classifieds at odd, hours, fire off a few reponses, a record is kept, i don't have to leave messages or expect calls back, easier to follow up, takes less time etc.

KIMFAB
04-11-2010, 02:30 AM
I have a bit in all my CL listings stating that a valid phone number is required for a response along with the format of the email needing to not resemble spam.

Anything that fails those two criteria gets deleted before being opened.

Even responding to these scammers is providing them a valid email address for you so they can sell it to a list provider. CL's listing email is anonymous (or can be anyway), but when you send one back they've got yours.
This is exactly what hotmail, yahoo and so forth are for.
My scam email is billmiller789@yahoo.com, You can paint it on the side of your truck and drive around town with it like that guy with the SS number.
When it gets full of spam I'll get another.

Lee in Texas
04-11-2010, 02:51 AM
This is exactly what hotmail, yahoo and so forth are for.
My scam email is billmiller789@yahoo.com, You can paint it on the side of your truck and drive around town with it like that guy with the SS number.
When it gets full of spam I'll get another.

Bill!

http://www.hipfamily.com/archives/mtpics/bbq.jpg

These are all over Austin. Maybe a larger area. I don't know. I think their food sucks.

Jim Shaper
04-11-2010, 03:43 AM
When it gets full of spam, you still end up having to weed through it... My time is worth a little prevention up front. It keeps things easy on the back side.

dr pepper
04-11-2010, 06:31 AM
I have sold the same air compressor pump on ebay three times, each time for 99p, the buyer then backs out on the 20 quid postage, I'll keep on doing it, you never know someone might take it in the end.
Beware of scams like this, this one is a identity theft job, and the wording is totally naff.

DATE: 2nd Feb., 2010.

Dear customer,

You have a Package that is registered with us for shipping. However, the
content is a Bank Draft worth is $800 000.00 USD (Eight Hundred Thousand US
Dollars).Reg .Number: P-01-402761625
Your package is registered with us for mailing by your colleague who is
currently undergoing survey project with J.Berger Construction Company. We are
sending you this email because your package is registered on a Special Order.
What you have to do now, is to contact our Delivery Department for immediate
dispatch of your package to your residential address. Note: As soon as our
Delivery Team confirms your information, it will take three (3) working days
(72Hrs) for your package to arrive at your designated destination.
For your information, Shipping charges as well as Insurance fees have been paid
by your colleague.
However, the only payment you are to make is $250 USD to the FedEx Delivery
Department being full payment for Customs Duty Certificate. Please Note: All
registered package with us have a time limitation and you are to meet up with
this payment to facilitate immediate attention toward the delivery of your
package. Note: Your colleague did not leave us with any further information.
We hope that you respond to us as soon as possible because if you fail to
respond until the expiry date of the foremost package, we may refer the package
to the British Commission for Welfare as the package do not have a return
address. Kindly contact the delivery department (FedEx Ship Manager) with the
details given below:
Contact Person: Mr. Richard Raynor
Email: fedex.101_@live.com
Tel: +2348071208793.
Kindly complete the below form. This is mandatory to reconfirm your Shipping
address for clarification.
FULL NAMES:
TELEPHONE:
POSTAL ADDRESS:
Zip/Postal code:
CITY:
STATE:
As soon as your details are received, our delivery team will give you the
necessary payment procedure for Customs Duty Certificate and Tariff. As soon as
they confirm your payment of $250 USD .they shall immediately dispatch your
package to the designated address with the attach Tracking Number. It usually
takes 72 Hours being an express delivery service.
Ensure to contact the delivery department with the email address and ensure to
fill the above form as well to enable successful reconfirmation.
Yours faithfully,
Mrs. Carlos saito
All rights reserved. 1996-2010 FedEx.

Like fedex would accept a parcel without a name and address on it.
Carlos or whatever his name is wants sorting out.

dave5605
04-11-2010, 01:42 PM
They scam you with postal money orders too. They really don't care if the feds get involved.

tdmidget
04-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Actually , ALL carriers will accept a shipment without a name, address, or anything else. It is called a "blind shipment".
Let's say you buy something from me and sell it to a third party. You don't want me to bypass you and cut you out of the deal next time so You have it picked up on a bill of lading showing Fed Ex as the consignee. You have already sent Fed Ex a letter telling them that this shipment is to be delivered to "XYZ Co " or who ever. The billing clerk or dock foreman signs the new bill, authorized by your letter, and it is delivered without the actual shipper ever knowing where it went. Well , unless the dock foreman or billing clerk is burning the candle at both ends and talking out of school. Then their careers are very short.