PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Tackle Boxes In the HSM Shop

Too_Many_Tools
04-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Looking for the favorite fishing tackle boxes that HSMers like to use in their shops.

I have LOTS of little parts that tackle boxes would work well storing.

So what brands and models would you suggest?

Pictures and links would be great.

Thanks

TMT

darryl
04-10-2010, 05:02 PM
No pictures, but I found some sewing thread containers at a local eh- 'discount store' that work well for small parts. Many of the compartments have rounded bottoms, since that makes a good fit for spools of thread- but it also makes it easy to 'wipe' up a part out of the compartment. The containers I bought also interlock if you stack them, which makes it easy to store several in a pile without having them slide all around or fall over.

Dr Stan
04-10-2010, 06:03 PM
I also found some containers in the sewing dept of Wally World. The two halves are hinged and they have a carrying handle. Lots of small swing out containers that were intended for various kinds of notions.

Paul Alciatore
04-10-2010, 11:05 PM
I have a big green, fiberglass tackle box that I bought some years ago when I was working on the road. I have no idea of the brand name. It had to be checkable in airline baggage without anything getting scrambled. I used it for electronic parts: things like resistors, capacitors, transistors, screws, small nuts and bolts, etc..

It had triple high trays divided into individual compartments on the top that hinged out when it was opened and I added plastic covers using package strapping tape for hinges and clamps. These fit tight and nothing ever escaped. Below those trays it had an open area that I packed with plastic boxes, also from the fishing department, that also were divided into small compartments. No need for the tape as they snapped shut quite well. More small parts there.

The first time I packed it, my wife watched as I put hundreds of small parts into it. Then I closed it up and held it upside down and shook it violently. She thought it would be completely scrambled inside, but when I opened it every thing was in the same compartment that I had put it in. It survived many airline flights in the cargo hold without ever letting a single part out of it's compartment. I did wrap it with the package straping tape to keep it from opening when I checked it. Today it would probably set off every alarm in the airport. But so would the oscilloscope that I hand carried in the cabin. I doubt that it would even be allowed on board a plane today.

It is in my shop now as I have never unpacked it and I will try to take a couple of pictures later and post them. It is great for bringing small parts to a job site, but I don't think it's very good for general shop storage as it is a bit difficult to take out and open up every time you want a part. On a job site I just set it on a counter or floor somewhere and leave it open while I work. I much prefer plastic drawers, cardboard bins (with mini bins inside them), and my latest idea from the crafts department at W-M. It was made for beads so even the smallest part is safe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/SmallScrewStore.jpg

The inner containers have screw on lids and I made the labels from card stock, printed on my computer using a CAD program so I could get the sizes precise. This is a lot better than the fishing tackle box as everything is instantly visible and it is easy to get to what you want. It fits in about one inch of shelf space. And, like the tackle box, can be turned upside down and shaken with no ill effects.

There were also some plastic boxes with internal divisions there. I would bet a real crafts store would have a much better selection of such storage items and the price was really good.

J Tiers
04-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Tackle boxes always SOUND like a great idea....... But IMO they suck.

I'd suggest the flat plastic snap-lid boxes that have multiple compartments, usually they can be subdivided with slide-in dividers that come with the boxes....

That way, related stuff goes in one box, and if it overflows, you can get another box or two..... You don't need the wigidibbies if you are trying to find the right size whachamadoodle...... So you can have a box for wigidibbies of all sizes, and one for whachamadoodles....

With the tackle box, you get everything, and when it's full, its a pain to get another.

Plus, the tackle boxes are usually more expensive per compartment than the flat plastic boxes...... So why pay more for inconvenience?

Weston Bye
04-11-2010, 08:09 AM
The biggest drawback of tackle boxes or other tool boxes is that they open on top - just where I always set something. Even the Gerstners and Kennedys have a tops that open. That compartment, gets little access if you have the bad habit of setting something on top of the closed cover. Probably designed that way - your not supposed to place anything on top.

I like drawers or shelves with plastic compartment boxes, but even the compartment boxes require discipline; get it out, place it on the last remaining clear area on the workbench, open the lid, get the part or screw you need, close the lid, then put it away - before you set something on top of it.

RTPBurnsville
04-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Lately I have began to like those Plano plastic boxes with the adjustable compartments and the hinged lid. For years I used those small plastic drawers but I like the boxes being one can take them where they are needed easily. Buy a bunch of the same size and they will stack nicely in a drawer, shelf or where ever.

J Tiers
04-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Lately I have began to like those Plano plastic boxes with the adjustable compartments and the hinged lid. For years I used those small plastic drawers but I like the boxes being one can take them where they are needed easily. Buy a bunch of the same size and they will stack nicely in a drawer, shelf or where ever.

That's the ones........ They are very useful, and cheap. or they were, until the local big boxes stopped carrying them here.

You must have a good source back there in the "old country"..... even out in Burnsville.....

nheng
04-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Plano boxes, US made, from Wal-mart, Dick's and others.

And a system like the one I posted here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=39279

Den

Too_Many_Tools
04-11-2010, 02:11 PM
That's the ones........ They are very useful, and cheap. or they were, until the local big boxes stopped carrying them here.

You must have a good source back there in the "old country"..... even out in Burnsville.....

Do you have a link and pictures to the EXACT boxes that you are referring to?

Thanks

TMT

nheng
04-11-2010, 05:43 PM
RTPB, sorry I missed your original Plano comment. As you mentioned, it is a good idea to grab them when you can as Wal-mart seems to be picking up more of the Chinese made boxes. I think Cabela's also has Plano but the types vary.