PDA

View Full Version : OT: Repair Sears Plastic Tool / Socket Case

davidfe
04-10-2010, 03:24 PM
I have a Sears Plastic Tool / Socket Case which is made of some
unknown plastic. I think it is made by the blow mold method.

The 'hinge' has finally failed. It had little dimples that friction fit to make the hinge between the top and bottom sections.

I have epoxy and Gorilla glue.

I am think that I will put a 3/16" rod where the dimple used to be.
I would glue the rod in place in one of the sections and let it ride free
in the other.

I'd need to create a 'bearing - maybe a soda straw - also glued in place.

This would create the alignment to permit the hinge to work.

I'd appreciate your suggestions / success stories and what would
be the best glue to use.

Maybe another method would also work.

Thanks.

David

AiR_GuNNeR
04-10-2010, 03:29 PM
maybe a piano hinge and some pop rivets if you can get washers on the other side?
Eric

darryl
04-10-2010, 03:49 PM
If you can drill through the existing hinge for a pin, go for it. I would probably tape the case together to keep the alignment, then drill slightly undersize for the pin, then separate the case halves and re-drill one set of holes slightly larger than the pin. Then just press in the pins and you're done. 3/16 seems to be overkill to me and would probably just mean too much plastic is drilled out, leaving a weak area which would break easily. Half that size would be plenty, especially if you use music wire which is easily available at a hobby shop. Or visit a metal shop and get a piece of stainless welding wire and use that as a hinge pin. 3/32 diameter is plenty, and will be stronger anyway than the plastic.

Probably if you drilled first with a 3/32 bit, the hole will close up slightly and the pin would be a press fit. Use the next larger drill bit size to open up the mating holes.

doctor demo
04-10-2010, 03:56 PM
I have a Sears Plastic Tool / Socket Case which is made of some
unknown plastic. I think it is made by the blow mold method.

The 'hinge' has finally failed.
[SIZE=3]David
Take it back to Sears and complain until they cave.
''Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your money back'' is or was one of their slogans.

Steve

Evan
04-10-2010, 04:04 PM
''Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your money back'' is or was one of their slogans.

I suspect that may change in the near future.

http://ixian.ca/pics7/craftsman.jpg

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19556

JCHannum
04-10-2010, 04:27 PM
The Craftsman guarantee applies to hand tools and certain other tools, but I doubt that it would extend to the case.

doctor demo
04-10-2010, 05:15 PM
The Craftsman guarantee applies to hand tools and certain other tools, but I doubt that it would extend to the case.
Yes I know, but aside from the Craftsman guarantee Sears guarantees satisfaction or Your money back. When I was contracting as an installer for them You would not believe what they would pay Me to do to keep their customers pleased, more often than not the problem could have been corrected easily without replacing anything but Sears insisted on a complete replacement.

A good department manager will do what they can to keep a customer happy, I have even had the catalog department tell Me to just keep the (wrong) part they shipped in error and send the right part expedited at no additional charge.

Steve

Too_Many_Tools
04-10-2010, 11:34 PM

The Sears guarantee does apply to toolboxes...and I would think to this case...if it says Craftsman.

TMT

J Tiers
04-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Glue almost never works with the plastic cases.....

Do sheet metal hinges and screw/bolt them in place.

Plastic is touted as "stronger then steel" (for equal weight) but the downfall is that it is often non-repairable.