PDA

View Full Version : Reamers

loose nut
04-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I have been told that hand reamers should not be used as chucking (power) reamers. Most of the ones I have look identical except for a slight starting taper and the square end on the hand ones. Is there a reason to substantiate this.:confused:

Carld
04-11-2010, 05:44 PM
I don't know the difference but the only reamer I don't use with power is the adjustable reamers. On the other hand, I don't run a reamer fast and use a lot of oil, about 100 rpm.

Maybe someone with outstanding knowledge will pontificate on this subject until we are swimming in unbelievable understanding of the subject. ;)

J Tiers
04-11-2010, 06:01 PM
As far as I know, a hand reamer is long and has a slow taper on the nose, and a driving square a the back of the shank. The cut is all along the slow taper.

A machine reamer is short, and each flute has a beveled cutting edge on the front, and no taper... The cut is on the beveled edge.

Under power, maybe it is too easy to cram the hand reamer in too fast, dunno really why it shouldn't be done if you pay attention...

I can tell you that a machine reamer doesn't work well or easily by hand

juergenwt
04-12-2010, 12:21 AM
loose nut - hand reamers have a taper (used as a guide for starting) that packs up with chips if used as a power reamer.Machine reamers cut only in the front and do not pack up. Also easy to re-sharpen (front only) to maintain size.

Astronowanabe
04-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Does this mean that if you grind the the taper off a hand reamer it can be used as a machine reamer?

MuellerNick
04-12-2010, 02:47 AM
Does this mean that if you grind the the taper off a hand reamer it can be used as a machine reamer?

In theory, yes. In practice, no. Because you'd have to grind off the center that is essential for grinding the cutting edge.

Nick

loose nut
04-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys.