PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove R8 alignment pin in quill?

Jim Stabe
04-11-2010, 05:51 PM
I have a Kondia mill which is of the Bridgeport style and the pin that fits into the groove on R8 collets and tooling is all mushed over making it difficult to align the new collet or tool when changing. I know many machinists remove the pin because it is a pain and the taper is more than enough to hold the collet against rotation. So how do I get it out? I don't have a manual for the machine so I can't look at the exploded view to figure out how it is held in place.

Any help would be appreciated.

quadrod
04-11-2010, 06:26 PM
On my Excello 602 mill the pin threads in from the side, i had to disassemble the quill and spindle to get to the pin. The later ones has an access hole, or so the manual states, that is not on my mill.

macona
04-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Extend the quill down a couple inches. On the rear of the quill is a small set screw. Remove it. The nose of the spindle will now unscrew. Now you have access to the alignment screw. Usually its one screw on top of another that locks it in place.

I keep mine in. When I had an R8 I have had a collet spin on me and tighten itself big time.

aribert
04-14-2010, 12:51 PM
I (really) damaged the R8 pin in my step belt B'port about a decade ago. Others on another forum suggested grinding it flush and using a pencil die grinder, I got up in there and ground it slightly underflush. I have not had any issues since my mill has been pin free, but my mill is for personal use.