PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a lathe

Tony Ennis
04-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Today was The Blessed Event. I made my first chip on the old busted up Craftsman. Now instead of being a wreck, the lathe is "barely functional" which is a huge improvement.

The VFD is very nice. With the help of a friend I've built a box of external controls. I prototyped the controls last week and we got them hooked up today.

I put the old lantern toolpost on the lathe, selected a random cutter that seemed sharp enough, played "how long will it take Tony to dial in his 4-jaw chuck for the first time", and then mauled a part from an old VCR.

Next steps are to get the QCTP nut milled so I can retire the lantern and to improve the carriage traversal gear housing I made. At that point, I think the lathe will be "mostly functional."

biometrics
04-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Congrats Tony... I have a "near new" Craftsman 12" X 36 I got for a bargain... that I have yet to reassemble after disassembly for transport, but am looking forward to making my first chips in more than 20 years when I do.

gambler
04-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Today was The Blessed Event. I made my first chip on the old busted up Craftsman. Now instead of being a wreck, the lathe is "barely functional" which is a huge improvement.

The VFD is very nice. With the help of a friend I've built a box of external controls. I prototyped the controls last week and we got them hooked up today.

I put the old lantern toolpost on the lathe, selected a random cutter that seemed sharp enough, played "how long will it take Tony to dial in his 4-jaw chuck for the first time", and then mauled a part from an old VCR.

Next steps are to get the QCTP nut milled so I can retire the lantern and to improve the carriage traversal gear housing I made. At that point, I think the lathe will be "mostly functional."

congrats. I know how you feel. I milled the parts for my qctp in the lathe, you might be able to do the same(if you don't have a mill).:)

Peter.
04-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Congrats, enjoy your new lathe Tony ;)

chip's
04-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Again, congrats on your progress. I know how much fun it can be to make parts on your machine for your machine. I don't think you can get much better than that!