PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my glasses?

outback
04-12-2010, 10:48 AM
When I buy new glasses I always take along an old set of frames and have lenses made made for reading or close work. No need to always lift my head back to see through the bi-focals. These reading glasses last me for years before the frames break and I start over with another old set of frames.

My last pair of reading glasses are barely 8 weeks old and I noticed they became pitted overnight. I wondered what I could have done to them. My oldest pair of reading glasses are still not pitted after hours of surface grinding. Just fine scratches from cleaning.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/jglass/Glassespittied.jpg

These new glasses seem to get worse over time. The lenses are plastic (cheaper). I'm wondering if they are defective. I looked at the pits with my centeringscope and could see the pits are craters and do not appear to be caused by impacts from chips or grit. Worse yet, there are pits on the inside of the lenses as well. Outside is worse.

Anyone have some ideas.

Larger pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/jglass/Glassespittied2.jpg

Outback

Alistair Hosie
04-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Have you been welding with them on ?Some people just for a quick weld close their eyes for a few seconds it looks like some small spatter burns.Alistair

Your Old Dog
04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
That's what happened to my shop window when I moved my grinder in front of it. You sure you didn't have them laying on the workbench behind the grinder?

rockrat
04-12-2010, 11:42 AM
For what ever reason, I get eyestrain easier from scratched and pitted optics than most people that wear glasses. I wish it were not so but se la vie.

I am OCD about a specific procedure for cleaning my eyeglasses. In the past it has always given me a year at least of clear optics. Honestly it gives me almost two years at which time I get scolded by the doctor for missing a yearly appointment. Why go if I can still see. :)

A recent set didn't get me 6 months before they looked similar to yours, and I took them back. After a bit of complaining, comparing my previous lenses (which I keep) and looking in my file to show them when I had been in for a checkup they reluctantly made me a new pair. They told me that I really should get the scratch resistant lenses. I asked them to refer back to my file where they found that I had paid for scratch resistant lenses when I bought them last time. These new ones have lasted about a year and look bad now. I have used the same big name store in the past but I may not again.

I think that they have switched materials or suppliers. There was a comment made by the doctor that led me to believe that something was different. They told me that I was cleaning the lenses wrong. When I explained that I clean my glasses the same way I would clean any type of optic lens, which led to my amateur astronomy hobby being brought up. Thats when the doc perked up and a new set of eye-ware was ordered.

Now my safety specific glasses look great and I bought them when they ordered my second free pair of street glasses. I wonder if I can specifically order my street ware with safety lenses in them.

I cant say for sure but something is different. In this new world of cost reduction and higher profit margins there is something that has changed, exactly what I don't know, but if some one can tell us for sure please do.

I have decided that my next pair will will be scratch resistant and I will be watching them closely for issues. I also plan to buy them close to the house because I bet I'll be making a few trips to the store.

Good luck.
rock~

Circlip
04-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Looks like impact damage, have you been subject to a solar wind??

Regards Ian

Spin Doctor
04-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Looks like impact damage, have you been subject to a solar wind??

Regards Ian

leftovers from Shoemaker-Levy 9? One thing I always did with a safety glasses scrip is to have them ground to halfway between my normal and bi-focal scrips. As I could not wear either for doing machine work.

rmancini
04-12-2010, 12:21 PM
For what ever reason, I get eyestrain easier from scratched and pitted optics than most people that wear glasses. I wish it were not so but se la vie.

I am OCD about a specific procedure for cleaning my eyeglasses. In the past it has always given me a year at least of clear optics. Honestly it gives me almost two years at which time I get scolded by the doctor for missing a yearly appointment. Why go if I can still see. :)

rock~

Rockrat- What is your procedure for cleaning your glasses? I seem to do more harm than good when I clean mine.
Rich

rockrat
04-12-2010, 02:40 PM
See post #6.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=35334

rock~

millwrong
04-12-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm with Circlip. Have you been anywhere near Cern?

JCD
04-12-2010, 05:13 PM
I tried plastic lenses, after a short time they looked worse the photo.
That was an expensive lesson. After that I have always had my lenses made from glass. They will last until I need another proscription.

RancherBill
04-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Just a first thought.

The lenses might have some wonder coating on them. You have been using some chemical that is eating away the wonder coating. Something in the oils your are using, for example ATF which will take off paint, is eating the lens.

ADGO_Racing
04-12-2010, 10:00 PM
I have used Lenscrafters for years. They are more expensive....However they have an extra scratch resistant coating. I currently have a pair that are about five years old. Over the past year I have finally started to get a couple scratches on them...Skittering across the asphalt at the track has finally caught up with them. As well as shop hazards. I will be going back shortly to get new ones.

A side note, I spent the money for the flexible frames, I have not had a single problem with them. I have sat on them, been hit in the face with a wrench or two, fallen asleep wearing my glasses a good number of times, even steped on them a time or two...Never had to bend them back, never a problem with fit!

Mcostello
04-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Guy at work bought the latest miracle coating. Keeps glasses in case in shirt pocket. Uses only occasionally, noticed after about 3 months the ear pieces had worn through the coating on both lenses. Miracle coating right!

darryl
04-13-2010, 01:41 AM
'wonder coating' and 'miracle coating'- you guys on drugs or what- this is the age of cheap, fraud, and scam. I wonder if there is any coating- or most likely there probably is if there is supposed to be, but it's nothing like what it should be. Or the plastic lens material is not formulated and manufactured properly. Maybe it's too brittle, or the chemistry has been cheapened.

I would say it's pretty hard to cheapen glass, but that would be wrong. I'm sure there would be a way, and that aspect will be taken advantage of by the manufacturer.

Of course, there COULD actually be another reason why those glasses have gone like that.

lazlo
04-13-2010, 01:53 AM
'wonder coating' and 'miracle coating'- you guys on drugs or what- this is the age of cheap, fraud, and scam.

True, but you can buy most of the top-line safety glasses in normal and hard-coat. My current favorite is the Crews Z-series wrap-arounds, and the hardcoat really does seem considerably more scratch resistant.

gmatov
04-13-2010, 03:07 AM
So, anyhow, I was needing to get new glasses. Bought new lenses for a grandson who got superglue on his, somehow, Lenscrafters was about 150 to JUST replace the lenses, older guy there told me to go to an optometrist who was cheaper.

He made me new lenses for 60 bucks, and when I told him that I wanted them scratch coated, he told me that ALL polycarbonate lenses WERE scratch AND UV, from the factory. Their price was 64 for plastic, 78 for polycarbonate, bifocals.

Went to an Opthalmologist a couple weeks ago. Got checked, took my scrip, still waiting for them to call me to come get my new glasses, went to the Optician, and have had these new glasses for near a week, for half the cost of the OD's cost, BUT, the OD did the eye test.

Glass lenses, first pair I got of post work prescription glasses, I demanded glass. Plastic scratches. BIG mistake. Bifocals. Heavy as hell. Fell off my face, onto my toe, rolled off and GENTLY struck the concrete, and both lenses were pocked with pits. Worthless after that.

Good luck with finding glasses. They try like hell to sell you designer frames. Might cost you a hundred or 2 more JUST for the thought that you look So much better in THOSE glasses than you do in cheaper frames.Fashion statement, don't you know?

Cheers,

George

Darryl,

It is possible to cheapen glass, but there are rules as to eye wear. I forget the numbers of the rule, but the effect is that the lenses must survive a drop of I think, a 5/8 inch steel ball from 4 feet. If they break, they are not allowed.

That is to say you can make cheap glass for a given application. Glass will always be molten silica, and I don't think you can cheapen that at all. You can treat it and temper it for a given purpose, but you will not make it less durable than plain float or window glass.

mf205i
04-13-2010, 03:17 AM
http://www.zennioptical.com/home.php
Mike

keelan
04-13-2010, 04:11 AM
See post #6.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=35334

rock~

rockrat,

Your technique should be part of the training for new glasses wearers. After fighting with scratched lenses for years, I finally followed my parents lead and started to get the dish soap out. I have enough junk floating around inside my eyes to contend with, I don't need scratches on my lenses too.

Your procedure is the exact same thing I do, with one exception: If you pass your lenses vertically through the running water at the end of the rinse cycle, all the water will bead up and run off, and you can skip the drying cycle. It usually takes a few passes to get the water to roll off just right, but then all that you touch with the drying cloth is the frames. Sometimes, I am lazy and just put the wet glasses back on my head.

John Stevenson
04-13-2010, 04:47 AM
I buy mine over the internet, 15 for non designer glasses, get two pairs and they last about 18 months if you rotate them, they are only for work anyway.

http://www.glasses2you.co.uk/acatalog/Prescription_glasses_for_men.html

laddy
04-13-2010, 09:48 AM
I agree with MF205i I ordered a pair of progressive lenses with frames. My last pair cost me over $500 From Zenni optical it cost me $41. I showed them to my opthamologist and he pulled out his pair from them and said he was delighted too.

lazlo
04-13-2010, 10:53 AM
rockrat,

Your technique should be part of the training for new glasses wearers.

+1. I was one of the "wipe your glasses on your shirt" guys, but I tried Rockrat's method, and it really works.