PDA

View Full Version : rotary convertor transplant from static ?

Alistair Hosie
04-13-2010, 04:01 PM
would adding this before any machines on a static convertor make it a rotary covertor?I have a static rotary convertor and it doesnt run as well as the rotarty I have.I have been told it will run much smoother if you add such a motor straight from the outlet side of the convertor prior to machines being used is this correct incidently the static I have is a 5.5kw or 7.5hp transwave I use it in the woodshop.Alistair

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VEM-Electric-Motor-3-Phase-4KW_W0QQitemZ150433249411QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI _Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET?hash=item230685 3883

Robin R
04-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Hi Alistair,
I added an idle motor to a static converter to make a rotary converter and it has been running my shop for the last nine years without a hitch. This is a comercial shop, so the converter is often running for 8 hrs at a stretch. One of my machines has a digital rise and fall, which means it must have some sort of computer and even that seems to work well. I would say the motor you linked to would be suitable for your application.

Alistair Hosie
04-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks buddy this motor looks like astraigght 400 volts not a dual voltage as needed with an invertor, will it still be ok ? and am I right in the way I describe it ?I.E. first thing out of the transwave and then everything else after that I only run it for a few minutes at a time ten at most and then with only one motor working around 3 hp or less. I just don't need amotor thats not going to work and need to be checking all my facts.Alistair

Jim Shaper
04-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Not all motors are dual voltage. I'd verify it'll run how you want before buying.

I've got a B&S mill that's only 480v and has 3 motors that are all single voltage.

Alistair Hosie
04-13-2010, 05:20 PM
I am not sure whether the single dual voltage means anything with a static convertor I know it does with an invertor as it has to be a dual voltage motor to work i.e transfer it to delta wiring. Alistair

Robin R
04-14-2010, 12:02 AM
It depends on the output voltage of your static converter, if it has a transformer that bumps the voltage to 400 volts then the motor will be suitable.