PDA

View Full Version : magnetic vise

fortcollinsjerry
04-13-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm looking for an inexpensive used magnetic vise I can bolt to my mill/drill cros feed table and do some machining of some flat parts that are now too fat. I have to reduce the entire length of the work piece by about half and it's now too thin to hold square in the jaws of my regular mill vise so I can use an end mill. (the piece started out life as a .250" CRS rod six inches long).

Any suggestions where/who deals in stuff like this is appreciated. I really don't want to spend a fortune on this thing - I only have use of it once or twice a year - although, like any other tool eventually one finds uses for it pretty soon. ;)

PaulT
04-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Since it sounds like a setup you only need occasionally, I'd grab a piece of extra stock to whip up a quicky fixture. Use a ball end mill to machine a groove in the stock that matches your rod diameter and glue the rod to the slot using super glue making sure to clamp it nice and flat. Some heat will break the glue bond when you are done machining.

I don't think a magnetic vise will hold a skinny work piece like that very well anyway, and good magnetic vises are expensive.

Paul T.

macona
04-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Superglue the part down to a sacrificial plate.

JCHannum
04-13-2010, 09:52 PM
If by magnetic vise, you are referring to a magnetic chuck, they are not inexpensive and will not hold small parts against the force of milling. Super glue might work as will soldering if the part will not be affected.

The best tooling for holding workpieces too thin for normal means in a vise are hold downs such as the Starrett No. 54 Hold Downs, they are well worth having.

http://www.starrett.com/download/433_p435_and_438.pdf

oldtiffie
04-13-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm looking for an inexpensive used magnetic vise I can bolt to my mill/drill cros feed table and do some machining of some flat parts that are now too fat. I have to reduce the entire length of the work piece by about half and it's now too thin to hold square in the jaws of my regular mill vise so I can use an end mill. (the piece started out life as a .250" CRS rod six inches long).

Any suggestions where/who deals in stuff like this is appreciated. I really don't want to spend a fortune on this thing - I only have use of it once or twice a year - although, like any other tool eventually one finds uses for it pretty soon. ;)

I will be surprised if CRS does not bend/distort at some point as it "stress-relieves" itself.

I notice that you say "rod" (which is round) as opposed to bar or strap (which are flat).

Holding that 1/4" rod while you take off 1/8" of it - presumably 1/16" from each/both sides - is going to take some doing.

It is quite possible to hold it in a vise as the "flats" will be less than the diameter of the 1/4" rod. I'd use a 1/8" or 3/16" end mill cutter - but I'd want to be very sure that the vise was holding properly along its entire length. If the job "lifts" and/or the cutter "digs in" it might be more than the job is damaged - ie the cutter and the vise (jaw/s).

Why not use a bit of hot-rolled 1/4" x 1/8" bar and just clean it up with a disc or belt sander? Or an angle grinder?

How accurate does it need to be and how good a finish is required?