PDA

View Full Version : Fire safety...

x39
04-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Two friends lost their shops to fire in the past week...

Precision Cycle in Beltsville, Md.
http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/maryland/loud-explosions-heard-in-beltsville-fire-040810

Hand -n Hand Fire Engine Restoration in Jackson, Mich, burned last night, no news story yet, but here's his web-site...
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~oats/restore

Let's be careful guys.

gwilson
04-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Fire Engine Restoration ??? Sounds like their engines will be in real need of restoration now !!!

dr pepper
04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
What a bugger, as they say poo happens.
I had a boat fire a couple of years back, never came to much but since then I have automatic fire extinguishers.

x39
04-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Fire Engine Restoration ??? Sounds like their engines will be in real need of restoration now !!!
Steam, hand powered, early motorized. Antiques. He has work in museums nationwide.

Your Old Dog
04-14-2010, 04:37 PM
It's a real good idea NOT to work with weldors or grinders near the end of the day. Sparks can sit in trash on the floor for quite awhile before a fire surfaces. It's the biggest reason I've tried to keep my floor free of clutter. I'm not a neatness freak, my workbenches are a mess. But I know that cardboard boxes under workbenches are a good place to give birth to a shop fire. After over 30 years as a newsphotographer I am absolutly convinced that I can easily be "the other guy". I've seen it too many times.

Black_Moons
04-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Shop Project #52435423: (Stainless?) steel trash bin... insted of my 5 gallon bucket used as a trash bin...

Hmmm, Maybe I should of kept that old small water heater I had...

Liger Zero
04-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Smoke detectors in the shop are an absolute must. It's cheap enough these days to have a protection service as well. $25 a month to have someone watching the detector signal. Peace of mind is cheaper than stress medication. ;)

steve45
04-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Smoke detectors in the shop are an absolute must. It's cheap enough these days to have a protection service as well. $25 a month to have someone watching the detector signal. Peace of mind is cheaper than stress medication. ;)
That's a pretty good idea!

Scishopguy
04-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Don't forget about shop rags near where you are using an angle grinder. I have set more than one of those on fire from the sparks. :eek: One of the guys at one place I worked even set his pants on fire. :D

JoeFin
04-15-2010, 11:22 AM
5/8" XXX rated Fire rated sheetrock on the walls and ceiling with Fire Extinguishers mounted by the door - that is what I use. Even then 99.9% of my welding is performed outside

To be Code correct if you have a welding bay inside your shop you are supposed to have an all steel structure or sheet metal over 5/8" Fire rated sheetrock

Liger Zero
04-15-2010, 11:31 AM
That's a pretty good idea!

My newest toy... an injection molding press... can run unattended. It has an "unmanned" mode. More or less you dial in the process monitor as tight as possible and if it gets three or more NG signals in a row it shuts down and turns off. Great for overnight runs of stuff I don't have to feed inserts to.

Couple that with a alarm monitoring service I have a lights-out operation when I need it.

Now I understand there are aftermarket mods for presses that will make them call a cellphone when they go down... But lets not get crazy. :D