PDA

View Full Version : Stepper motors

Rustybolt
11-06-2003, 10:16 AM
I have a Harbor Freight(I know, Iknow)geared head MD and what I'd like to know is; what size (oz/in) motors would I need to get to drive it? In XY and Z.
Thanks

ibewgypsie
11-06-2003, 09:43 PM
My first attempt at cnc, was a chinese mill drill lathe combo. I used 200 ozinch motors and 4x1 XL gear belt reduction. It was slow, but so was the machine. I did not have the knowledge to rework the screws and nuts to make it smooth so I could speed it up. It was pretty much a failure. I did my own software that was full of bugs, I had little hardware problems actually.

I later reused the motors on a x-y slide and drill press to drill pcb's. My software was adequate for this application.

Now, I have a half dozen good software packages to choose from. I keep going back to my home made joystick version to do light machining, NO programmin of Gcode, just turn it on and go.

I have graduated to A bridgeport cnc, reworked to modern spec.

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-06-2003).]

Rustybolt
11-06-2003, 10:21 PM
Thanks Dave. I just need a ballpark area to shop these things. Every once in awhile something shows up on Ebay(My AH_HA controller doesn't accept any motor unless it has eight leads)

BTW one of the motors I got from you is going to be a tumbler-eventually http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

ibewgypsie
11-07-2003, 07:30 PM
You didn't figure out how to rewire?

I have a drawing somewhere.. You have to clip the series windings and tie together.

David

Forrest Addy
11-07-2003, 10:37 PM
Try here:

http://www.amsicorp.com/nema23.html

Rustybolt
11-08-2003, 09:18 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
You didn't figure out how to rewire?

I have a drawing somewhere.. You have to clip the series windings and tie together.

David</font>

The colors of the wires alternate from red/green on the windings. you mean red to red on the same winding? I can do that.

ibewgypsie
11-09-2003, 12:23 AM
Rusty, you got to take apart just a lil bit further..

All the way down to the windings, you will see that the windings are series all the way around, they have to be tied into pairs.

I took apart a smaller 8 lead motor and traced the windings pairs. It is similar. You have to cut the windings and resolder together properly. Not just the tails hanging out.

I have tried to figure out what to do with all these synchronous motors, perhaps a 6 foot tall clock? A perfect RPM geared right and it will keep time.

David

Evan
11-09-2003, 12:38 AM
I point out that removing the rotor from a stepper motor will reduce the power of the magnets by up to 50%. It cannot be regained. If you take a stepper apart leave the rotor in the core and be extremely carefull that it doesn't pick up any magnetic swarf. Even the tiniest bit will screw the motor.

The close proximity of the stator core to the rotor acts as a "keeper" for the magnetic field. It completes the magnetic "circuit".

Magnets should be always stuck to a piece of iron or steel when not in use to maintain strength. Also, shock to a magnet greatly reduces strength. Dropping a magnet on the floor can reduce strength a lot, instantly.