PDA

View Full Version : Quality of SPI tools

quasi
04-14-2010, 06:23 PM
I have seen some older SPI tools that appear to be very high quality stuff. The newer SPI tools I have seen seem to be the run of the mill Chinese manufacture.

Where was the older SPI tools made, Europe or the U.S.?

KiddZimaHater
04-14-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm confused too.
About 15 years ago, the SPI tools were "Swiss Made". Their dial indicators and test indicators seemed pretty well made. Quality stuff.
Then about 3 years ago, a co-worker bought a set of 0-6 inch SPI micrometers, and they were run-of-the-mill Chinese garbage.
No better that the infamous 'Blue' Chinese mics you see on Ebay and elsewhere.
I'm still puzzled about SPI.

Davidhcnc
04-14-2010, 07:06 PM
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=39775

lane
04-14-2010, 07:56 PM
I have quite a bit of SPI tools bought back in the late 70 `s and early 80`s .Was top of the line tools Swiss Precision Instrument The stuff I see to day is Chinese crap Save your money.

gwilson
04-14-2010, 08:27 PM
MSC now owns SPI. A variety of vendors makes their products.,some are American. I bought an American made vise holder for Bridgeports that was not strong enough. When I spoke to the vendor,he was a dumb ass with a bunch of excuses instead of listening to what I told him was wrong with his unit. It attached to the vertical column dovetail,but it sagged under the weight of a 6" vise,and the vise would always swing downhill,hitting the inside edge of the table. I was trying to tell him to mill the attachment on an angle so it would be more level under load. He was not very interested in improving his product.

Spin Doctor
04-14-2010, 08:38 PM
It's kind of a mixed bag. Some of their stuff is really good quality. Some of it is the same general imported stuff that just about every body else sells. And you can usually tell by the price

squirrel
04-14-2010, 08:40 PM
MSC is pretty slick, we sell the same indicator from China for $39 that MSC has their SPI brand on the same thing for $112. I am making money at $39, MSC is making a fortune passing off the import stuff at Quality USA, SWISS, GERMAN, etc. prices.

Machinist-Guide
04-14-2010, 08:43 PM
I have a SPI tap ratchet that has made in Germany on it. SPI to my understanding dosen't make tools. They buy them from all over the world and have there logo put on them. A few years ago I was selling tools on ebay and looking for suppliers and found a supplier in China that told me he was a factory rep and sold SPI Phase II Shars and a few others I can't remember. He told me they are all made by the same people.They just put the customers logo on them. They also told me that all the tools MSC sells as there Quialty Import's are the same they just don't have a logo on them. From what I learned from this guy is the big difference in chi com tools is the logo and packaging.
I can't say this is fact I am just repeating what I was told.
He also told me he could sell me the same tools with my logo if I bought them in large orders.

beanbag
04-14-2010, 08:55 PM
I have a made in India SPI edge finder I bought a few months back. It seems to be ok quality, definitely better than the worst out there, but not sure how it compares to a "good" edge finder.