PDA

View Full Version : OT - Dental Implants

rmancini
04-14-2010, 09:50 PM
I just got three of these studs "installed" - this particular one had to be removed and replaced with a larger one so I got it as a keep-sake. The actual length is around 3/4", diameter about 3/32".

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu76/bougreducanton/MVC-001S.jpg

Later, after some healing, I will receive a partial that snaps onto the little buggers.
It's funny how close this procedure is to everyday machining:

The studs are Titanium.
My jaw bone was drilled to accept the studs.
Drilling was accomplished with a "Surgical Template" -to me a drill bushing!
They are self-tapping.
They were tightened with a miniature torque wrench - ratchet type no less.

I guess you could say that I've been to my oral machinist

KiddZimaHater
04-14-2010, 10:16 PM
I was at my 'Oral Machinist' 4 weeks ago.
I got both lower wisdom teeth pulled, and 4 fillings.
OUCH.
At least he prescribed me some pain killers.
4 Vicodin's and 6 beers makes for a fuzzy evening.:)

Mcostello
04-14-2010, 11:24 PM
OUCH! reminds me of an ezy-out!

drof34
04-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Is that part of you on the end of that lag screw? If so maybe you should give your dentist a better chip brush.

bollie7
04-14-2010, 11:31 PM
out of interest what do these things cost over there? I was recently quoted approx $5000 AUD each for these. That was for the complete job. Funnily enough I'm not getting them.

bollie7

Robin R
04-14-2010, 11:58 PM
I recently had a tooth pulled and was offered an implant as one option or alternatively a bridge. The teeth either side were in pretty rough shape and the bridge would take care of those as well. The cost for either treatment was going to be $1400, but the wifes dental plan would cover half the cost of the bridge, can you guess which I went with.
Apparently the implants are made of titanium because it's the only material the jaw won't reject.

steve45
04-15-2010, 12:09 AM
That's pretty expensive in the states. I have a friend that had it done (I don't remember how many teeth/studs) but it was over $10,000.

x39
04-15-2010, 12:29 AM
the wifes dental plan would cover half the cost of the bridge, can you guess which I went with.
My wife's insurance initially denied her claim for dental implants, on the basis that they considered it a cosmetic procedure. With the backing of her oral surgeon and several doctors (she works in a hospital) she appealed and won on the basis that the teeth are part of the digestive system.

Hollowbuilt
04-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Those of you considering implants should be aware that the extractions should be done with care. The old tooth should be removed with as little or no jawbone as possible. Harvesting the bone that comes out with your tooth may can be important in the long run. Not a dentist, but am friends with a good dentist. Lots of considerations especially if the tooth is one in front. Implants may cause the gums to recede causing an unsightly gap between tooth and gum.:(

Guido
04-15-2010, 01:03 AM
Kinda spooky, but when the oral guy goes about building bone in prep for the implant--------chips, pieces get supplied from a friendly cadaver.

The above pictured implant appears to be a one piece machining. The two piece job utilizes a Morse taper fit, plus cement. Around here 3 g's, piece o' cake. Root canal-1 g plus 350 for crown.

--G

jmm360
04-15-2010, 01:06 AM
out of interest what do these things cost over there? I was recently quoted approx $5000 AUD each for these. That was for the complete job. Funnily enough I'm not getting them.

bollie7

Bollie, I had 2 implanted in '08, total was right at $10K US. This was at (afaik) the most highly regarded oral surgeon in my area. There were certainly cheaper around but I went with the best and am happy.

Bad news is most insurance won't cover implants. Mine would have covered a bridge but I felt a 2-tooth bridge would end up failing so went with the implants, out of pocket.

John

madman
04-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Brother in Law had a Implant. The dental surgeon? drilled right into his sinus cavity. It caused him a lot of problems. Kinda like taking youre Car to a mechanic. Never know how its going to work out.

Duffy
04-15-2010, 09:40 AM
I had five implants installed in my lower jaw about six years ago. Expensive, and all on my own dime, but worth every penny. The surgeon installed the implants and fitted a "Paris bridge" that spans them all. The lower denture clips to it. Total cost, including matching dentures was Cdn $14000. One dentist quoted $18000 and claimed that I would be chewing with new teeth that night! It actually took about four weeks including everything. Duffy

Spin Doctor
04-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Well, how many hospitals have in-house machining dept for doing hip replacements and such

mayfieldtm
04-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Just had a Crown.

Between times when the Doc. was fussing and grinding I could watch the CNC Machine making my new Crown.
It used double opposing burrs and looked like it had 6 axis.
The Crown snapped in perfectly, and I was otta there < hour, at about 1/2 the cost.

Tom M.

oldtiffie
04-15-2010, 10:06 AM
I have it on good authority that root canals can cost an arm and a leg.

rmancini
04-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Brother in Law had a Implant. The dental surgeon? drilled right into his sinus cavity. It caused him a lot of problems. Kinda like taking youre Car to a mechanic. Never know how its going to work out.

This was a major concern.
The Doc took careful measurements and before/after Xrays. The Xrays showed lots of bone left before the sinus cavity.

As far as cost: $4500.00 US which includes the studs, the partial, the impressions (one for the partial and one for the "drill bushing") and all the Xrays. Everything was out-of -pocket - insurance covered ZIP. Since I had Xrays in 1968, the insurance company didn't feel I needed them again so soon.

Pain factor: Almost none during the procedure (lots of novacane) and very little when the novacane wore off.
All in all, it seems like a better option than yanking all my remaining upper teeth and going with a full denture.

Rich

sidneyt
04-15-2010, 12:58 PM
All of these posts remind me of the fact that taking care of your teeth pays benefits. I have visited the dentist religiously every 6 months since I was a child. In the past couple of years I have had to get two crowns mainly because of the filings in the teeth were too big to be replaced. I now floss every day (well almost every day). This has certainly made a big difference in my gums which is the main reason that people lose their teeth. I only wish I had started doing this 40 years ago. My children who have benefited from fluoride in the water have NO filings. If they can just floss they may not have to worry about crowns or implants.

krutch
04-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Had a Doctor bring in a childs skull top, (cap?) to have screws made to mount a device for radiation treatment. Device was screwed onto head for treatment and several treatments equal many holes in the head by the end of the sessions. The screws we made were to stay in patients' head during all treatments and designed to receive the mounting screws of the device. Kind of like a ball and socket. This was to stop making so many holes in the head. All hardware to be removed at end of treatment. Skull cap was brought in to test screws to be sure they didn't split bone material. Kind of werid feeling to have someones body part in your hand. It looked like swiss cheese by the time screws were perfected.
Krutch

gwilson
04-15-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm getting an implant. Cadaver bone was put in to build up the upper jaw area. It has taken several months to get the extra bone to meld with my jaw bone. Expecting the tooth to be installed in June. Cost IIRC,was about $2500.00. I did it mostly to stop teeth from drifting,and to help support the teeth on either side of the gap. It's just past my eye tooth,and not really easily seen anyway.

Al Flipo
04-15-2010, 04:38 PM
I just got three of these studs "installed"

I have 7 of them in my upper jaw, had them installed about 14 years ago, People who consider this type of work should consider seeing an Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon for the implants, and a regular dentist for the crowns or bridge. After you have this done, you need to follow rigorous hygiene, rinse out your mouth after every meal, or sweet drink.
Use an electric brush, a water-pick and also rinse with Listerine or a good brand of antiseptic mouthwash, at least twice a day.

Ridgerunner
04-15-2010, 09:37 PM
I agree with Al Flipo. Oral surgeon and a good dentist that specializes in bridgework. I had 8 or nine of them done several years ago. It was wisely recommended to me to get the type of bridge that install with screws which seems to be very strong. They put in small fillings to cover the screw heads. About a week ago one finally came loose. The dentist just uncovered the screws and retightened the screws with a torque wrench. While there I asked the current price of one implant and he said $1000.00 for the oral surgery, and $1100.00 for a crown. US dollars.
Of course mouths are different. The depth of the implant and therefore its strength depends on the amount bone available. Another factor is the location of the nerves as the implants have to be a certain distance away so as not to cause pain so it is a good idea to find an good experienced surgeon.