PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a pulley

AlexK
04-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Guys,

I am looking for a step pulley for my 20" Dayton Drill Press
This pulley goes directly on a motor shaft. The original pulley bore is a little too big and when set screw is tightened the pulley is off center and make my drill press vibrate when running.

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Drill_Press_Dayton_20_inch_floor_model_3z919.pdf
It is part#51 on page 10.

I can't find this type of pulley anywhere and don't want to order from original manufacturer as it is probably just as bad as original.
(It is hard to see the pulley on the manual but essentially it is a standard pulley that has extended shaft on the bottom.)

Thanks,
Alex

japcas
04-15-2010, 01:09 PM
If you have a lathe I'd bore it oversize and bush the hole. Then bore it to the correct size and recut the keyway. Simple fix with the right tools.

rmancini
04-15-2010, 02:20 PM
It IS hard to tell what the pulley looks like on the PDF.
Since it's a standard 5/8" bore, could you just buy a hardware store pulley?
If the pitch diameter is not an exact replacement, it would seem that the worst that could happen is it would throw-off the RPM chart slightly. Something you could live with?
Reboring as japcas suggested also sounds like a viable option.

AlexK
04-15-2010, 02:34 PM
The standard pulley won't work because this one has extended shaft so it can sit 2" higher.
Think about this pulley as a regular one with 2" of shaft extended out of it's body.
I can rebore a bigger hole but I never cut a key way before. What tool do I need to cut key ways?

ulav8r
04-15-2010, 03:06 PM
How much clearance do you have? If more than about .010 but less than 1/16, use shim stock as a bushing. Cut a keyway in the lathe, using a square bit in the tool post. This method has been shown on this site many times.

Dr Stan
04-15-2010, 03:56 PM
page five gives a good side view. It appears the extension simply acts as a spacer and probably could be a separate piece.

You could also check around to see if someone locally has a broach set to re-cut the key way.

Black_Moons
04-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Another vote for shim stock. Just insert a small strip of shim inbeween the bore and shaft opposite of the setscrew to center it.

Just about anything could be used, paper, tinfoil, popcan, whatever fits and is the right thickness (fold for extra thickness)

Don't need to recut the keyway if you just shim it.

Standard rectangular files and some test fiting can also cut a keyway in a moderate amount of time btw.

flathead4
04-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Is this the original motor? If you have a replacement motor with a different size shaft, it would obviously be a problem. If this is the case, it might be easier to find a motor with the correct shaft.

Tom

Davo J
04-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Another vote for shim stock, just wrap it around minus the key. Almost anything will do sheet metal, beer can etc.
Dave