PDA

View Full Version : locomotives in the movies

aostling
04-15-2010, 02:19 PM
If you like gritty black and white scenes of locomotives, the movie La Bęte Humaine is hard to beat: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029957/. I'm watching it now (on loan from the Phoenix Library). All the characters are railways men on the Paris-Le Havre run during 1938. The hero has a name for his loco, which he says he is in love with. He seduces the stationmaster's wife in his cab. There's trains in just about every scene.

Thomas Staubo
04-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Hello Allan, thanks for the tip!

I will check out this movie, maybe I'll download it with bit-torrent if I can't find it here.

Have you seen a french movie called "Rififi"? It's a great film noir about a bank robbery (heist?)
A scene in the movie is sort of on-topic here, because it shows how they open the safe with a trepanning tool.

aostling
04-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Have you seen a french movie called "Rififi"? It's a great film noir about a bank robbery (heist?)
A scene in the movie is sort of on-topic here, because it shows how they open the safe with a trepanning tool.

Thomas,

I love that movie. Rififi is the pioneer heist movie, later spawning The Italian Job and others. My brother Glenn in Oslo also downloads lots of films. I get mine from a seemingly inexhaustible supply at the public library.

Glenn writes that you are now in the path of a volcanic cloud from Iceland, and that all air traffic has been halted. But he says the skies are blue and the sun is shining. Is it still that way?

Thomas Staubo
04-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Glenn writes that you are now in the path of a volcanic cloud from Iceland, and that all air traffic has been halted. But he says the skies are blue and the sun is shining. Is it still that way?
At the moment the sky is black (clock shows 21:55 here now), so I can't tell... But it has been sunny this afternoon, so no signs of any volcanic action here yet.
I found an up to the hour satellite view over northern Europe here: http://www.sat24.com/ , Eyjafjallajökull (http://www.google.no/search?q=eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull+eruption&hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enNO359NO359&source=univ&tbs=nws:1&tbo=u&ei=im_HS-_VNdCCOOqepMYM&sa=X&oi=news_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBEQsQQwAA) is marked on the map.
It's hard to see the difference between clouds and volcanic ash (I think it's actually pumice), but it looks like it's heading my way.

And yes, all air traffic was halted from 10 o'clock this morning here, even all the rescue helicopters and planes were grounded.

Asquith
04-15-2010, 05:02 PM
'The Train' starring Burt Lancaster is a good one, set in France in WW2. One scene shows Lancaster pouring a white metal (Babbitt) bearing.

Black and white, even though it was made in 1964.

Regarding the ash cloud, no commercial flights in UK airspace at present.
Mrs Asquith said 'Look at the sky'.
'Yes'.
'It's blue'.
'Yes'.
'Blue - no vapour trails at all'.
'Ah, yes'.

Spin Doctor
04-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Of course there is always 'The General' with Buster Keaton

Plus 'Flame over India' with Lauren Becall and Kenneth Moore. Who cares about the train, give me more Becall
Bhowani Junction with Stewart Granger and Ava Gardner. Substitute Ava for Lauren

oil mac
04-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Alan,
La Bette Humain, That was one very fine film, just suited black &white, The locomotives were superb, In real life i saw some of them at Paris in 1960 before they were scrapped, superb engineering by the French, The film was excellent a real sad ending for its deeply troubled driver

snowman
04-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Well, if anyone wants to see the locomotive from Northern Express (the animated movie), it's in Owosso Michigan. They used it for the sound.

gregl
04-15-2010, 11:20 PM
'The Train' starring Burt Lancaster is a good one, set in France in WW2. One scene shows Lancaster pouring a white metal (Babbitt) bearing.

Black and white, even though it was made in 1964.

The Train is on Hulu. A terrific film. The cinematography is tremendous, with lots of moving camera work and long, long takes. Watch the film once for the story and once again for the cinematography. Astounding.

Tinkerer
04-16-2010, 02:35 AM
Emperor of the North Pole.

Lee Marvin as A#1 Hobo and Erniest Borgnine as Shack the conductor... company man no free rides and Kieth Carradine as Cigarette a wet behind the ears punk.

Good flick.

Your Old Dog
04-16-2010, 10:17 AM
The Turner Movie Channel tmc had a movie on a few days ago called "God's country and the woman". The movie is a bit corny but it takes place in the 1930's Canadian logging camps and shows how real men did logging. Absolutly fascinating look at some real history and a couple trains that I have never seen show up from time to time. I found it entertaining not so much for the story plot but because it was a low budget movie filmed in a real logging environment with real loggers and equipment. All the dirt, grit and furniture and buildings looked legit to me.

Spin Doctor
04-16-2010, 12:06 PM
There's another logging movie with Sterling Hayden* where he is riding a Shay in one scene towards the end

A very interesting individual. OSS in WWII, author