PDA

View Full Version : Where do the HSM'ers live????

bborr01
04-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Hello All,

I have been a registered member here for a few years and a lurker for a short while before that.

Something that has fascinated me is how far reaching this group is.

I see some members list their locations in fairly great detail, some in riddles, and some wont even go so far as to list planet earth. (paranoia I am guessing)

I am going to start a list of the obvious places and I will edit the list to add locations BY COUNTRY as you post YOUR COUNTRY.

I still haven't seen some countries like China here. But I have to guess that at least someone in China is looking at this to learn from this board.

Here goes.

Thanks for your input.

Brian

1. USA
2. CANADA
3. AUSTRALIA
4. ENGLAND
5. NEW ZEALAND
6. BRAZIL
7. GERMANY
8. VENEZUELA
9. NORWAY

Oldbrock
04-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Yes, it does make it easier to answer a particular question when you know the location of the person needing help. Live in BC now but came from North Wales not far from Mark in Prestatin. Peter

The Artful Bodger
04-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Brian, I am in Wellington, New Zealand and I think there is at least one other member in this city and maybe others in other parts of NZ.

logic
04-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I'm always curious why people don't indicate their location or are very vague about it. I agree that it does make answering some questions easier to know the person's location.

I've been a lurker for a little bit so decided to make my first post today. Hi everybody. :) Hope to start participating more.

Patrick from Palm Springs, California

bborr01
04-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I'm always curious why people don't indicate their location or are very vague about it. I agree that it does make answering some questions easier to know the person's location.

I've been a lurker for a little bit so decided to make my first post today. Hi everybody. :) Hope to start participating more.

Patrick from Palm Springs, California

Hello Patrick and welcome to the forum.

I am sure you will enjoy being part of this forum.

Many very helpful and knowledgable people here.

I am not far from Palm Springs, at least for a little while yet.

My wife and I are snow birds and spend most winters near Kingman, Arizona.

Tomorrow we head back towards Michigan.

Brian

George Bulliss
04-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Interesting question Brian. I donít have the board numbers handy but did take a quick look at the distribution of The Home Shop Machinist subscriptions. Since the magazines bring a cost penalty to those outside the US that the board does not have, the percentages of total subscriptions I have listed wonít match the BBS. With the magazines, Australia beats out the UK but Iím not so sure that is the case on the board.

Percentage of total subscriptions Ė HSM

US 92%
Canada 5.4%
Australia 1.2%
UK .5%
NZ .2%

tlfamm
04-15-2010, 04:13 PM
>>>Yeah, I'm always curious why people don't indicate their location or are very vague about it.

An avid genealogist, I previously spread my name all over the net - this was years before identity theft became a problem. Then, as incidents of ID-thievery grew, I had a couple (minor) things happen, and I woke up to the risk of sharing too much personal information on the net. I went incognito after that.

And I've had a very few cases of going to web-sites where my approximate geographic location was displayed (varying within 15 to 35 miles), and one case where the precise name of my town was displayed.

I have no idea if this is done with the assistance of my ISP, or if the sites in question are performing some kind of correlation across multiple databases to pinpoint geographic location.

Anyway, I remain cautious.

==============================

Then there are my tools: a nice SnapOn set that I purchased many decades ago and dutifully engraved my SS number on to establish ownership.

Nowadays, the SS number may be worth more than the tools.

Who knew?

davidwdyer
04-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Hey! I'm feeling left out.

I think I'm the only subscriber in Brazil.

Spin Doctor
04-15-2010, 05:33 PM
I remember being told to use our SS# to ID our tools. As our clock number could and would change due to job assignments. As to our locations and names. Some of us have a tidy sum tied up in tools and machinery and are ill disposed to losing any of them. If we were too open then some ill meaning lurker (surely not of our sterling brother/sister members) could plot a nefarious deed that we may victim to. :eek::eek:

I had my golf clubs stolen out of my van last year. That was enough. Of course as my golf partner said, "I don't know what your mad about, it's not like they worked anyways". :D:D

George Bulliss
04-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Hey! I'm feeling left out.

I think I'm the only subscriber in Brazil.

Not the only one, but close to it. I show eight subscritpions for Brazil. That is for HSM only, didn't check the other mags.

George

dp
04-15-2010, 05:59 PM
There are ways to get close to your location based only on IP:

http://www.hostip.info/

It's not always very accurate, but as a process it is improving over time.

MuellerNick
04-15-2010, 06:07 PM
There are ways to get close to your location based only on IP:

That crap says I'm at Heidelberg (Germany), but I'm near Munich.

No subscriber,
Nick

camdigger
04-15-2010, 06:09 PM
I work in Cowtown Alberta, but reside per my id banner.

davidh
04-15-2010, 06:36 PM
That crap says I'm at Heidelberg (Germany), but I'm near Munich.No subscriber,
Nick

but to most americans its just Germany . . . my little town of maple is not on most maps.

davidh nw wisconsin

davidh
04-15-2010, 06:42 PM
im must continue. .
it makes me crazy. so many of you guys won't say where the hell you are. . . . . geeze, its not like we are going to gang up on you and steal your stuff, most of us have more than we need or want anyway. come on, let us know where you are. . . .

i think its cool we have guys from au and nz here, i know i will try to find them for a free meal when i visit their county.................and canada, and england (in general, thats any of the british isles to me), and europe and the scandinavian countrys. wow, i could travel for a few years and find all you guys and be happy that i did cause your all a great bunch......................
south america, maybe not. it might be too hot there.

davidh. (beautiful, sunny, northwest wisconsin within spitting distance of the biggest fresh water lake in the world)

oil mac
04-15-2010, 06:58 PM
It is nice that the Home Shop Machiners, have a large world wide spread, If the scurvy politicians were of our ilk, H.S.M/ers, Wars & atom bombs would be consigned to the scrap yard,

As Robert Burns the scottish poet said "Man to man the world o,er ,May brothers be for all that"

John Stevenson
04-15-2010, 07:06 PM
That crap says I'm at Heidelberg (Germany), but I'm near Munich.

No subscriber,
Nick

Only ten minutes away with a Lancaster :D :D

markczarn1
04-15-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm in Caracas, Venezuela. The feeling of loneliness is also
present here.
George, how many subbers are we here?
It would be great to get together, if anyone cares to PM.
Regards, Mark

Harvey Melvin Richards
04-15-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm in a van,

Down by the river.

Hope things get better soon.

miker
04-15-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't care what you say, I'm not telling where I am!!

Rgds

DOH!!! :o

KillerMike
04-15-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm in Ottawa, ON... Be nice to know if any others are in the area.. being a total newbie, I'm sure I could learn lots from standing and watching someone work :p

Buzzer John
04-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Hello all, I think my location shows, but I'm not sure how to tell. It's near Lineboro, MD. I don't post often because I can't seen to stay logged on even though I check the "remember me " box.
John
edit: I now see where the location shows. Funny, I never noticed it before.

dp
04-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Hello all, I think my location shows, but I'm not sure how to tell. It's near Lineboro, MD. I don't post often because I can't seen to stay logged on even though I check the "remember me " box.
John
edit: I now see where the location shows. Funny, I never noticed it before.

You need to allow cookies as well as selecting the Remember me box. At least that's what we do here in Bellevue (back on topic :) ).

NzOldun
04-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Brian, I am in Wellington, New Zealand and I think there is at least one other member in this city and maybe others in other parts of NZ.

I am in New Plymouth, New Zealand, fully retired as of 1st April (and no, it was NOT an April Fools joke!) so one more member for NZ.

ftownroe
04-15-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm in Miami, Florida ( Habana Del Norte)

macona
04-15-2010, 10:26 PM
I reside in the State of Confusion!

xeddog
04-15-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm not from Earth. I'm from California.

Wayne

RobbieKnobbie
04-15-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm in Miami, Florida ( Habana Del Norte)

So why not put that in your profile?!?

Not to single you out... just keeping in the spirit of things.

alanganes
04-15-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm in NE (People's Republic of) Massachusetts, less than an hour from Boston.

rdfeil
04-16-2010, 12:27 AM
I live dead center of the State of Washington, but my mental state is often a close neighbor to Macona :D :rolleyes: :confused: .

bborr01
04-16-2010, 12:32 AM
I'm in a van,

Down by the river.

Harvey,

Hope the weather and the fishing are good for you.;)

If it makes you feel any better, I have spent the last several months living in a 5th wheel camper. Doing it by choice though. Sometimes simpler is better.

Is this a great country or what. Living in a van and still having internet access.

Where do you log on at? The public library? That is where my wife and I use a lot.

What the hey. We are paying for the libraries. Might as well use them.

Best of luck,
Brian

PS. We still don't know where you are from. I'll assume at least the planet earth. Could be Timbuktu. Somewhere in Africa? Where in the world is Harvey?

J Tiers
04-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Ther seem to be a number of us in St Louis....... and more who are not on teh boards.....

Dunno why no club nor get-togethers, been to one, at a big shop, but no others. Might have to start one, but I'm no hand at organizing that stuff...... I've always found someone to delegate it to who'll like the job and do it well.

Bob Ford
04-16-2010, 12:46 AM
I live in the 51st state of Jefferson. http://www.jeffersonstate.com/

Bob

bborr01
04-16-2010, 12:50 AM
I'm in a van,

Down by the river.

Once again,

Harvey. You must either have a really big van or you are just sittin in the van, probably with a couple long necks and a card in your laptop.

How else could you fit a break, and vintage lufkin tools in there?

Just so you know, it feels to me like things are a lot better now than they have been in a while.

Brian

gr8life
04-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Just noticed a member posting in the third hand section looking for a level to level his lathe. I am in Las Vegas (small town in Nevada some of you may have heard of). Now when I see something like that I think why no go over and help him, bring my Starret level and meet another chipmaker. No location in his heading. I just do not understand all the secret stuff, at least a state.
thanks
ed

bborr01
04-16-2010, 01:13 AM
Just noticed a member posting in the third hand section looking for a level to level his lathe. I am in Las Vegas (small town in Nevada some of you may have heard of). Now when I see something like that I think why no go over and help him, bring my Starret level and meet another chipmaker. No location in his heading. I just do not understand all the secret stuff, at least a state.
thanks
ed

Hi ed,

I have heard of Las Vegas. My wife and I were there last week and a month ago. Two hour drive from where we are in Arizona. Should be less next year when the bridge opens by hoover dam.

We have been visiting Vegas for a couple decades plus.

May have to look you up sometime.

Brian

Cobbler
04-16-2010, 01:47 AM
There... just edited my profile so a vague location shows up. Maybe this will allow me to find out who is beating me to all the "tools" sold on Craigslist:p

Brett Hurt
04-16-2010, 02:15 AM
Bakersfield CA 93306 Brett Hurt wish there where some hms guys by me that would be very good

rickak
04-16-2010, 02:53 AM
Hey Brian
I'm up here in Alaska
Name's Rick and I'm a toolaholic (sorry..... I had to use that )

dewat
04-16-2010, 04:10 AM
There was an American living in China that was posting awhile back.

As for my location, there is only one place in the world where one can be 2 miles from the London Bridge and 43 miles from Swansea. :D

michael3fingers
04-16-2010, 04:34 AM
hello erryone

I am from Adelaide Australia.. Near Ozmestore for those who buy stuff off ebay...

MuellerNick
04-16-2010, 05:56 AM
Only ten minutes away with a Lancaster

Or three days with a Reliant Robin. :D

Nick

Harvey Melvin Richards
04-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Once again,

Harvey. You must either have a really big van or you are just sittin in the van, probably with a couple long necks and a card in your laptop.

How else could you fit a break, and vintage lufkin tools in there?

Just so you know, it feels to me like things are a lot better now than they have been in a while.

Brian
Head another 2.5 hours northeast of gr8life and you might find me. Actually in one of 2 counties in Utah that doesn't have a river.

Lew Hartswick
04-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Just noticed a member posting in the third hand section looking for a level to level his lathe. I am in Las Vegas (small town in Nevada some of you may have heard of).

It is a good idea to add that little bit in ( ) . We have a Las Vegas
here a bit east of Santa Fe that qualifies even better as a
"small town". :-)
...lew...

rmancini
04-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Port Orchard, Washington state ----on the Kitsap penninsula about half-way between the Olympics and the Cascades. About 30 miles as the crow flies west of Seattle. Closest big town is Bremerton.

Don't know what you all may have heard about Seattle rain but in reality, we have two completely different seasons. We have:

a. Of course, the rainy season and

b. August 8th.
Rich

Willy65
04-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Live in St. Louis, MO. area, and would be interested meeting with other HSM in the area.

Bill

John Stevenson
04-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Or three days with a Reliant Robin. :D

Nick
LOL !!

You must have has the deluxe version :D

Actually one of my uncles had one of these things, they fitted a niche in the UK at one time as being below 8 hundredweight [ 896 pounds ] and only having 3 wheels they could be driven on a motor cycle license.

Now in WWII the services gave out motorcycle licenses freely without having to take a test so we had a whole generation of folk who could drive one of these without having to take car test, this was the reason they lasted as long as they did.
Once that generation died off or moved onto cars then the demand was lost.

Anyway I'm missing the point, Uncle Charlie who was an ex-navy stoker [ why would a stoker on board ship be given a motorbike license ? ] bought one, the deluxe model called a 25E.

When he enquired what the 25E stood for it was 25 Extras, I can't remember what they all were but one was a light in the speedo, the standard model didn't have it and it wasn't law at that time.

Talk about ringing the last penny out :D

Circlip
04-16-2010, 12:33 PM
And none were supplied with a spare wheel cos of the weight limit and was classed as a motorcycle and sidecar PROVIDING the blanking plate was fitted over the reverse gear selector.

Regards Ian.

We REALLY did tolerate some Sh**e over here John didn't we?

38_Cal
04-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Montezuma, Iowa...an hour away from noplace that anybody wants to get to very badly...:D

David

Tony Ennis
04-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Louisville, KY. Home of the Louisville Slugger, the worlds largest annual fireworks show, the world's 3rd largest annual airshow, and the fastest 2 minutes in sports.

That being said, the other 50 weeks of the year are pretty slow. Louisville is the biggest small town you'll ever see.

hojpoj
04-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Newport News, VA. Pretty much right between Richmond and Virginia Beach.

Think I've only seen one other person even close (somewhere in Chesapeake, if I recall). I could certainly stand to look over someone's shoulder as all my metalworking is self-taught (with the assistance of forums like this).:rolleyes:

madman
04-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Kitchener Ontario Canada currently.

rohart
04-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Dewat: I've been curious about your location, but since you brought the subject up ...

I look for both, and I find London Bridge at Lake Havasu City, and three Swansea's.

The nearest Swansea is near Owen's Lake in California, but that seems to be 250 miles from London Bridge. I'm confused (more than normal, that is).

I'm about 150 miles from Swansea and 18 miles from London Bridge, myself, but that's the original Swansea, and the latest version of the bridge.

Please elucidate.

dp
04-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Bakersfield CA 93306 Brett Hurt wish there where some hms guys by me that would be very good

If you don't add it to your profile nobody's going to remember.

bborr01
04-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Hey Brian
I'm up here in Alaska
Name's Rick and I'm a toolaholic (sorry..... I had to use that )

Toolaholics united.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Some day there will be a real good estate auction where I live.:)

(Sorry Tiffie, I won't crush a thing. Sell it all and give it to charity)

Brian

bborr01
04-16-2010, 04:47 PM
There was an American living in China that was posting awhile back.

As for my location, there is only one place in the world where one can be 2 miles from the London Bridge and 43 miles from Swansea. :D

Is that the London Bridge by Havasu. If so, I am typing this from 90 miles away.

Brian

dewat
04-16-2010, 06:47 PM
It's the "World Famous" London Bridge, LOL. According to the powers that be it's the second most visited tourist attraction in Arizona. The Swansea I'm referring to is located south of here,

"George Mitchell, a metallurgist and the principal promoter for the mining company, named the community Swansea for his hometown in Wales."

http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/swansea.htm

It's a small world.

Spin Doctor
04-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Two counties south of Milwaukee and about a mile from the lake. And that's as close as you're gonna get

rohart
04-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks, Dewat - fascinating bit of history.

Back on topic for me, I'm a stone's throw from Twickenham Rugby stadium. Folk around here that know what they're doing rent out car parking space in their front yards when rugby comes to town.

I'm 3 miles south of the flight path in to Heathrow, so when the wind is in the right (wrong) direction, I see a plane avery 90 seconds wandering across the window.

mikeped
04-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Southwest Michigan where the cold winds are blowing off the lake.

BigMike782
04-16-2010, 10:48 PM
"Southwest Michigan where the cold winds are blowing off the lake."

Howdy neighbor!

I work(for now:) ) in the twin cities area and live just a few miles from the Golden Dome.

lane
04-16-2010, 11:05 PM
I don`t know about you .But I live in a house. Tents are too drafty for me.

Pete F
04-16-2010, 11:14 PM
I have my location listed, but in case you don't know where Solvang is (and I don't know why you would unless you'd been here), it is about 25 miles NW of Santa Barbara, in the santa ynez valley. We are known for the town's Danish heritage (founded in 1911 by a group of Danish educators - centennial is next year), wine tasting rooms, kitschy tourist shops, and being an all around fun place to visit. Also, in my opinion, one of the most pleasant, prettiest places I've ever been.

-Pete

Lew Hartswick
04-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks, Dewat - fascinating bit of history.

I'm a stone's throw from Twickenham Rugby stadium..

Is that one of those "stones" that they measure peoples weight by?
...lew...

gambler
04-17-2010, 01:44 AM
I have my location listed, but in case you don't know where Solvang is (and I don't know why you would unless you'd been here), it is about 25 miles NW of Santa Barbara, in the santa ynez valley. We are known for the town's Danish heritage (founded in 1911 by a group of Danish educators - centennial is next year), wine tasting rooms, kitschy tourist shops, and being an all around fun place to visit. Also, in my opinion, one of the most pleasant, prettiest places I've ever been.

-Pete

and I also would add that Solvang has the coolest motorcycle museum. which has 5 vincents among other makes. including the famous record vincent where the rider stripped down to his underwear for the record run.(you've all seen the picture I'm sure). There is a sign on the door that says "if you come visit and we are closed, call the number and we will open up for you":)

I'm in Silicon Valley, by the way.

carlquib
04-17-2010, 01:53 AM
Same place I have been for years. I don't think listing your general area could be any worse than what is in the phone book?

-brian

bborr01
04-17-2010, 02:01 AM

-Pete

Hi Pete,

I was talking to one of my neighbors in Arizona. He tells me that he grew up in Santa Barbara, then spent 30 years in Seattle and ended up here.

Says he grew up in heaven, spent 30 years in purgatory and now lives in Hell.

Must be Santa Barbara is pretty nice.

Brian

aostling
04-17-2010, 02:03 AM
and I also would add that Solvang has the coolest motorcycle museum.

I'm glad to learn this. I drove through Santa Ynez five months ago (19 Nov 2009) but didn't know about the nearby Solvang motorcycle museum. I've not seen one Vincent, let alone five. Having that many must be some sort of record in itself. I'll allot time for the museum on my next trip.

Evan
04-17-2010, 02:06 AM
I don't mind people knowing where I live. The surest defense against identity theft in a small town is for everybody to know who you are. I am well known here and it is nearly impossible for me to go to town without meeting people that know me even if I don't know them.

Since my location is already listed I thought I would pass along an image of my property. I was playing around with my GPS and imported the course data from a walkabout around the property a few days ago into Google Earth.

http://ixian.ca/pics7/walkabout.jpg

bborr01
04-17-2010, 02:43 AM
Hi Evan,

It looks like a pretty long walk, but I couldn't get any perspective of the size.
I kept looking for the dumpster but I think it blended in with the trees.:D
Glad to hear you are feeling well enough to hike like that.
Thanks for your post. It may help a few others come out of their shell a little bit.

Brian

John Stevenson
04-17-2010, 06:52 AM
Same place I have been for years. I don't think listing your general area could be any worse than what is in the phone book?

-brian

What's a phone book ?

We have three land lines here, one is Gert's private line, unlisted, one is the business fax line which is listed but never gets answered.

The main business line is also unlisted because like all the best whores you need a reference to even talk to me :D :rolleyes:

dewat
04-17-2010, 04:26 PM
OK,OK I can't stand the pressure anymore, I give in, UNCLE, this is where I live,

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/dewat/house.jpg

mochinist
04-17-2010, 04:46 PM
It's the "World Famous" London Bridge, LOL. According to the powers that be it's the second most visited tourist attraction in Arizona. The Swansea I'm referring to is located south of here,

"George Mitchell, a metallurgist and the principal promoter for the mining company, named the community Swansea for his hometown in Wales."

http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/swansea.htm

It's a small world.I grew up down the river in Parker valley and am typing this from my parents house in Parker. As teens we used to go up to Havasu and pull up to tourist on the London bridge and ask them with really cheesy foreign accents if they knew how to get to the London bridge. When they would tell us we were on it, everyone would get excited and we would sometimes take pictures with them...good times

I've spent a lot of time out by Swansea, mostly quail and deer hunting, shot my first deer just north of there on Planet Ranch.

aostling
04-17-2010, 04:48 PM
OK,OK I can't stand the pressure anymore, I give in, UNCLE, this is where I live,

Yes, I see you are in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. I wasn't fooled by your reference to Swansea, a ghost town I've known about for ages.

[edit] removed street name, and duplication of the map view.

rohart
04-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Dewat - If you're referring to the Man from Uncle, you can expect a model plane to arrive through your upstairs window any time soon.

Lew - No, the stone I'm referring to is just the kind that you'd pick up and chuck at something - more like a cricket ball in size and weight.

To find people throwing things that weigh a stone, you'll be looking at a shot put or throwing the hammer. Both are 16 pounds. Hey - an American stone is 14 pounds isn't it ? You haven't gone and messed up the counting, like with fluid ounces, have you ?

dewat
04-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Rohart, the uncle thing is reference to young boys trying to show how tuff they are, the bullies would twist a weaker kids arm until he cried uncle , a sign of submission.

You have me confused about the weight of a stone, we don't use that here but every now and then it comes up, the last time was a British boxer on a TV talk show, he said his weight was X number of stones but didn't know the equivalent in pounds. I looked it up and got the same answer I just got, 14 pounds.

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/units/weight.htm

Not being anal, just wondering, there is always the official version of things and then the everyday usage.

Jim

Brett Hurt
04-18-2010, 02:14 AM
Solvang dud You live there, your are up the street from me Iam in Bakersfield, Also Olsen bakery is the best we well have to hock up one day Brett. Any more of you guys is southern CA.

Pete F
04-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Solvang dud You live there, your are up the street from me Iam in Bakersfield, Also Olsen bakery is the best we well have to hock up one day Brett. Any more of you guys is southern CA.

Sure, although I would definitely have to swallow my pride to show you what I call my "shop." I'm working on it though :rolleyes: .

Olsen's is good, our favorite is Mortensen's... my daughter loves the pastries there. Danes do make good, uh, danishes :D .

-Pete

HSS
04-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Worst Small Cities for Crime (<200,000 pop.)

1.Topeka, KS
Topeka has the highest rate of property crime among cities with fewer than 200,000 population. The rates of larceny and robbery are especially high.
2.Pine Bluff, AR
Pine Bluff has a high rate of murder and the ninth-highest rate of robbery in the nation.

This is where I live and I am not concerned about one of the members of this board planning to steal my stuff.

Everything is under lock and key, alarmed and monitored with a very loud external siren,

and the neighbors look out for each other. I am more worried about my work van in the city.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/goochiepepper/skyshot-1.jpg

The white roof is my shop and the dark roof is my house. Everything else gets trimed, painted, swept, washed, or mowed

Patrick

J Tiers
04-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Live in St. Louis, MO. area, and would be interested meeting with other HSM in the area.

Bill

mebbe we can find a few others and have some sort of local group......??

wtrueman
04-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi all: Good ol' Gold River ite for last almost 38 years!! Wayne.

wtrueman
04-18-2010, 10:50 PM
BTW: That's in B.C. Wayne.

Ken_Shea
04-18-2010, 11:32 PM
If from the USA, it would be interesting to see the numbers of members by state.

bborr01
04-19-2010, 02:20 AM
Just picked up another country from the "making a micrometer" thread.
That would be Philbur.

Brian

Stepside
04-19-2010, 10:44 AM
5 miles North and a bit West of DP. Far enough away I can't hear his Hardly-Davidson start.

Willy65
04-19-2010, 11:19 AM
I would like that, please send me a PM

Bill

v860rich
04-20-2010, 01:05 AM
mebbe we can find a few others and have some sort of local group......??
Let me know if you do this. I'd try to be there.
Whoops, I thought my area was shown.
40 miles west of the the Arch

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

aribert
04-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Lurker signing in. I like this list - similar to what RCM was like a decade ago.

Not too worried that anyone will steal much of anything out of my messy overstuffed shop - I can not imagine that anyone could find much of anything that I can't find myself! Besides, the lathe and B'port are too big to walk away on their own and the typical thief would have no idea as to what tooling to steal. Now a fire loss scares the s**t out of me!

MuellerNick
04-20-2010, 03:57 PM
similar to what RCM was like a decade ago.

Don't worry! TMT is here. :rolleyes:

Nick

John Stevenson
04-20-2010, 06:32 PM
RCM was a real good site until the gun freaks and whacko's took it over.

dr pepper
04-20-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm also in the uk, and I am paranoid, having thousands stolen off me via credit fraud might have something to do with that, and the fact that the net is not a secure place to say the least.

DICKEYBIRD
04-20-2010, 07:11 PM
I live in Collierville, work in Memphis (Tennessee) USA...Home of the Blues/Barbecue/FedEx/Elvis/Holiday Inn and a host of other stuff; some good, some we ain't real proud of.

mklotz
04-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Don't worry! TMT is here. :rolleyes:

Nick

With a vengeance! I'm amazed at how many people here keep responding to his trolls.

Mcgyver
04-20-2010, 08:33 PM
they're not troll posts, they're home shop haiki

some like pegboard walls

tell me, have you used pegboard?

show me pegboard pics

alanganes
04-21-2010, 08:46 PM
they're not troll posts, they're home shop haiki

some like pegboard walls

tell me, have you used pegboard?

show me pegboard pics

That's Brilliant!
:D

Evan
04-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Now a fire loss scares the s**t out of me!

You got that right. We just had a few millimetres of rain today. That plus some few more a few weeks ago is all we have had in about 2 months. It's so dry here that not even the dandelions are growing. If it keeps up like this they will be closing down all logging this summer.

I would have nothing left if my machines were burnt. It is the one thing that I can still do reasonably well. None of my large machines are directly replaceable. Many of my tools cannot be replaced. Interapid no longer makes dial gauges that are calibrated in microns.

Orrin
04-21-2010, 10:38 PM
I live on the edge of the Palouse country in Eastern Washington, a stone's throw from Idaho, two hours south of Spokane. A picture is worth a thousand words:

http://users.moscow.com/oiseming/lc_ant_p/pic_Wawa.htm

Orrin

George Hodge
04-21-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm upstream from Precious Moments,50mi.downstream from Bass Pro in Springfield,Mo.

bborr01
04-22-2010, 02:15 AM
I live in Collierville, work in Memphis (Tennessee) USA...Home of the Blues/Barbecue/FedEx/Elvis/Holiday Inn and a host of other stuff; some good, some we ain't real proud of.

Hi Dickeybird,

I haven''t looked at the map to see where Collierville is, but my wife and I did have lunch/dinner in Memphis today at Blues City Cafe. Yum Yum.

Looking for another vacation to the Memphis area and maybe smokey mountains.

Now we are in Nashville. Tomorrow it is Cincinnati. Then Detroit area for the NAMES show.

Home saturday night after a 14 week vacation. I am told that the grass will need cutting.

Brian

JMS6449
04-22-2010, 09:37 AM
I live in the 51st state of Jefferson. http://www.jeffersonstate.com/

Bob
I thought Superior was the 51st state. (northern Wisconsin and upper Michigan)

Always have my location listed.

davidh
04-22-2010, 10:33 AM
I thought Superior was the 51st state. (northern Wisconsin and upper Michigan).

where do i sign ?
minnesota needs to split north and south too ! but there's too much $$$$ in the taconite business that metro will not give up.

Weston Bye
04-22-2010, 11:18 AM
I thought Superior was the 51st state. (northern Wisconsin and upper Michigan).

There was talk about that some time ago... until someone discovered that there was more money flowing north from Lansing in the form of welfare, unemployment, various other forms of state aid, than there was flowing south in the form of tax revenue. ...uh, never mind about Superior.

That was then. Have things changed?