PDA

View Full Version : There aint no planes in the sky tonight [well uk] OT

boslab
04-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Due to the Icelandic unpronouncable volcano, all UK airports closed, pink clouds of instant suset visible in Wales [ but we dont realy care cos were used to the crap coming out of the steelworks]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/
mark

rohart
04-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Didn't notice anything different in the London evening sky up until sunset tonight.

But to me this is another argument for members, please, to specify their location in their profile.

Boslab, I had no idea you were a Taffy, for example. We UKers should be specially responsible about this, as so many engineering issues, particularly when supply-related, look a little different from our side of the pond.

Back in the early eighties I remember the south-east of England being showered in red dust from Morocco, I think it was. It was most noticeable on cars and windscreens.

I live in west London, and it's so quiet. No landings or take-offs from Heathrow. Bliss.

Oldbrock
04-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Ah, so you are in Wales. Anywhere near Mark? I lived near Mold, Flintshire before we moved to Canada. Peter

Peter.
04-15-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm in Kent UK, but I also lived in Wales for 12 yrs - I mean, who hasn't :D

oil mac
04-15-2010, 06:43 PM
I live under the flight path to Glasgow Airport, This morning i looked out, the sky had a funny colour, (Dont know if it was the dust cloud or not) Today has been quiet, & no vapour trails, early evening the sky was lovely &bright un -damaged by man, Cant say today, i miss those Aluminium Budgies going over my head, I never was a great lover of the damned things, Give me a nice steamship or a locomotive any day, Even going up and standing on the pedestrian footbridge over the main railway line to the south , near my sons house , Which is near the Shieldmuir incline, Seeing the electric locomotives giving an occasional blue spark, Yes that gives me a buzz, (Excuse the pun!)

John Stevenson
04-15-2010, 06:47 PM
I think while they are not flying for a day or so I'll shift all the machines round in my shop and when they start flying again, we are on approach for East Midlands International, they will have to calibrate all their compass again ;) :D :rolleyes:

Mad Scientist
04-15-2010, 07:21 PM
I wonder what Al Gore has to say about all this pollution?
He will probably want you to put a catalytic converter or something on the mouth of that volcano.

John Stevenson
04-15-2010, 07:22 PM
I wonder what Al Gore has to say about all this pollution?
He will probably want you to put a catalytic converter or something on the mouth of that volcano.

The only one that will fit the volcano, he's using.

CCWKen
04-15-2010, 07:53 PM
I wonder how many carbon credits Iceland will have to buy now? One day of eruption exceeds all the pollution of all automobiles since 1896. :cool:

Your Old Dog
04-15-2010, 08:02 PM
I wonder how many carbon credits Iceland will have to buy now? One day of eruption exceeds all the pollution of all automobiles since 1896. :cool:

That's the point I was making months ago on the global warming farce. One good belch from a volcano and it's all a moot point anyway. All we did/do is make it harder for people to feed their families.

oldtiffie
04-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Its probably the ash from all the cash that the Icelandic economy (Banks etc.) swallowed - and having digested it, has *hit it back out again.

Or as they say in the classics: "*hit happens".

mochinist
04-15-2010, 08:40 PM
I wonder how many carbon credits Iceland will have to buy now? One day of eruption exceeds all the pollution of all automobiles since 1896. :cool:Not arguing, just curious, you have a source for that? or is it something you learned from a chain email or similiar?

CCWKen
04-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Not arguing, just curious, you have a source for that? or is it something you learned from a chain email or similiar?

Just something I heard on the radio today. (It plays in the background so I may have it wrong.) Wouldn't be too hard to confirm but none of my calculators go above 999 million. ;)

aboard_epsilon
04-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Not arguing, just curious, you have a source for that? or is it something you learned from a chain email or similiar?

lots of smoke and dust in the air would have a global cooling effect....nuclear winter sort of thing .

perhaps the earth does has its own way of sorting its self out!

all the best.markj

spope14
04-15-2010, 09:16 PM
A friend of mine has had a trip to Italy planned for three years now, saved and scrimped for his 25th anniversary. Planes from East Coast US not going that way for the moment and the near future.

mochinist
04-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Just something I heard on the radio today. (It plays in the background so I may have it wrong.) Wouldn't be too hard to confirm but none of my calculators go above 999 million. ;):cool:

lots of smoke and dust in the air would have a global cooling effect....nuclear winter sort of thing .

perhaps the earth does has its own way of sorting its self out!

all the best.markjseems reasonable

some pictures from the volcano
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/icelands_disruptive_volcano.html

JCHannum
04-15-2010, 09:43 PM
It is probably just as well the planes are grounded, they might get sucked up by this otherwise;

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/04/15/midwest.fireball/index.html?section=cnn_latest

dp
04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Back in the early eighties I remember the south-east of England being showered in red dust from Morocco, I think it was. It was most noticeable on cars and windscreens.

I was in southern France when that was going on. The rain ran like blood in the streets and streaked the buildings like there had been a massacre. There was a photo in the news of dust blowing up over the Pyrenees range. It was quite a nasty bit of weather. They had a name for the wind but I've forgotten it, but something along the lines of Morocco Express (but spoken in French).

J Tiers
04-15-2010, 10:38 PM
We had a heck of a lot of dust from Mount st Helen's , but I don't recall seeing a large effect in our area......

They say that the dust isn't so bad, just abrasive, but the glassy bits melt and get welded onto awkward spots in a jet engine...... Maybe the old radials have an advantage..... they don't breathe so much gunk..... or spit out so much extra CO2 and water vapor at high altitude. And they provide lots of employment......;)

boslab
04-16-2010, 02:30 AM
I'm in South Wales and to be honest the sky looks fairly grubby most of the time, most of Port Talbot's houses are permanently stained red from the Iron ore dust emitted from the sinter plants stock piles.
I can remember years ago when i started work at the Research lab being called to go to security with the other guy who started the same day, as luck would have it a lady had showed up at the gatehouse with her white Alsatian show dog, absolutely livid, she'd washed the dog for a show, left it out the back [in Taibach just outside the works where Mr Hopkins hails from]
anyway there had been a fallout from the BOS plant, her beloved dog had gone PINK...she was demanding that we 'put it back the right colour'.
so theres the two of us trying to shampoo a big snarling Alsatian, trouble was the colour wouldn't come out!, my mate said "why don't we bleach it" and rushed off to get some Parazone [Bleach].
Well it showed how backward in the chemistry department we were. If you want to fix a bloodstain onto a piece of white cotton, Sodium hypochlorate will do it nicely![should have used salt]
A squirt of bleach in the bucket later, and a permanently pink dog....The owner went bonkers, I [as most men do under stress] hid in the toilets!
They had to shave the dogs luxuriant pink fur off, the owner Hubby turned up
Bloody gay Alsatian you Tw**ts.
It got worse, but thats another story.
mark

batt-man
04-16-2010, 03:37 AM
Quite amazing the amount of dust that must be coming out of that volcano - i live in the south-east (Surrey).

Got up this morning and the car was absolutely covered in dust - i know i live down a dirt road but this was something else. Had to get the hose and rinse it down before setting out...

Batt

Circlip
04-16-2010, 05:27 AM
It shows how little some of the general public appreciate the gift of being able to defy gravity and I know the media interviewers "select" pertinent clips, but two last night would have been better shown on the first of the month.

One young lady was "Really annoyed" in her best geordie accent cos she should be going to Sharm el sheik on her honeymoon and another one whose genes escaped the cull stated "Why don't the planes all fly UNDER it"??

Oh dear, in a couple of weeks we have a general election. DOH!

Regards Ian.

aboard_epsilon
04-16-2010, 07:47 AM
I'm in South Wales and to be honest the sky looks fairly grubby most of the time, most of Port Talbot's houses are permanently stained red from the Iron ore dust emitted from the sinter plants stock piles.
I can remember years ago when i started work at the Research lab being called to go to security with the other guy who started the same day, as luck would have it a lady had showed up at the gatehouse with her white Alsatian show dog, absolutely livid, she'd washed the dog for a show, left it out the back [in Taibach just outside the works where Mr Hopkins hails from]
anyway there had been a fallout from the BOS plant, her beloved dog had gone PINK...she was demanding that we 'put it back the right colour'.
so theres the two of us trying to shampoo a big snarling Alsatian, trouble was the colour wouldn't come out!, my mate said "why don't we bleach it" and rushed off to get some Parazone [Bleach].
Well it showed how backward in the chemistry department we were. If you want to fix a bloodstain onto a piece of white cotton, Sodium hypochlorate will do it nicely![should have used salt]
A squirt of bleach in the bucket later, and a permanently pink dog....The owner went bonkers, I [as most men do under stress] hid in the toilets!
They had to shave the dogs luxuriant pink fur off, the owner Hubby turned up
Bloody gay Alsatian you Tw**ts.
It got worse, but thats another story.
mark

interesting story.

Alsatian for the USA guys is a German Shepperd dog.........i believe they changed the name during the war ......some story about the dogs being picked on and victomised...the name Alsatian stuck until about 1980 .and then fell out of use .

all the best.markj

NiftyNev
04-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Hope nobody posts pictures of the dust cloud.

Nev

Circlip
04-16-2010, 12:21 PM
There's one on MSM :D

Looks a bit reddish

jugs
04-16-2010, 01:22 PM
some pictures from the volcano
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/icelands_disruptive_volcano.html

Wonderfull pics,
A multi billion industry stoped by a bit of dust.

I love the way nature can show how insignificant & ineffectual man & his silly gods, realy are

krutch
04-16-2010, 02:01 PM
All we did/do is make it harder for people to feed their families.

That is the point of the 'Warmists', to make everyone pay out the nose and stiffle Freedom on a global 'arena'. Algore stands to make millions on carbon credits, and in fact, already has. G E will make even more with the 'Cap & Tax' crap, when that becomes law. And the UN is trying to become a 'tax entity' to cash in and to control the worlds people.
Krutch

MCAPTWandering