PDA

View Full Version : Installing circlip

sdgrand
04-16-2010, 12:58 PM
In order to unstick my 4-jaw scroll chuck it was necessary to remove a circlip about 2 inches in diameter; this was done using a plier-like tool with small tips on the end of each jaw. Now it's time to re-install the circlip. Any tips [no pun intended] on an easy way to do so?
I'm thinking about using a spiral-screw-driven hose clamp instead of the circlip. Anyone see a problem other than the danger to fingers [which I hope to minimize by wrapping with striated tape]?

Thanks in advance, Shel

daryl bane
04-16-2010, 01:29 PM
I am probably missing something in your question. But usually you'll use the same pliers that you used to take it out, to put it back in. Either compress or expand the circlip, depending on whether it is a internal or external type of clip, and slip it into its groove, release and there you are. Also the sharp edge of the circlip should be installed facing out.

Black_Moons
04-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Yea. you just reinstall it with the same plyers you removed it with.

Alistair Hosie
04-16-2010, 03:08 PM
The pliers work in oposite way to other types by opening when you bring the handles to gether, hence expanding the circlip to pass over the groove. On releasing they retighten themselves so if you took off the circlip this way simply return it the same way Good luck.Alistair

Spin Doctor
04-16-2010, 06:27 PM
I really wish most manufacturers that use snap rings would switch to these

http://www.smalley.com/retaining_rings/about_retaining_rings.asp

A far superior product that is also easier to install

Lew Hartswick
04-16-2010, 07:45 PM
I really wish most manufacturers that use snap rings would switch to these

http://www.smalley.com/retaining_rings/about_retaining_rings.asp

A far superior product that is also easier to install
Yes. And just how would you remove one when it's in a recessed location.?
...Lew...

ADGO_Racing
04-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Spin Doctor;

You are awesome....I have been hunting for these for sometime. (Not constantly, but on and off) Nobody I couldn't find anyone who could give me anything but a stupid "Huh....Whatcha need these for??" look. I have bookmarked the site. I'll be giving them a call on Monday.:D

ADGO_Racing
04-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Yes. And just how would you remove one when it's in a recessed location.?
...Lew...

I would assume hook the little tab with a screwdriver and start to unravel and fish it out. Like I usually do when I need to remove one.

clutch
04-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Working on the manufacturing side, we up inserting internal retaining rings using tapered cones and presses. Much like volume insertion of pistons and rings in engines.

Clutch

Spin Doctor
04-16-2010, 11:30 PM
Spin Doctor;

You are awesome....I have been hunting for these for sometime. (Not constantly, but on and off) Nobody I couldn't find anyone who could give me anything but a stupid "Huh....Whatcha need these for??" look. I have bookmarked the site. I'll be giving them a call on Monday.:D

Why thank you. Install a 5" diameter one of these and then a 5" snap ring. YOU WILL BE CONVERTED

ADGO_Racing
04-17-2010, 02:25 AM
Trust me Doc. I have installed both, you are absolutely correct. When the 4-5 inch series snap rings slip off the pliers, you are always glad when they don't come your way!

Actually I have a product I have been developing, which ironically enough last weekend I had a run in with the competitors version, which uses a snap ring. It is only a 1.5" bore, but the way it is setup makes it impossible to put the ring in using pliers without a significant amount of disassembly. These will easily go in with out a problem.

Thanks again!

Circlip
04-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Someone is always trying to invent a better mousetrap, each have their own application.

Trust me Doc. I have installed both, you are absolutely correct. When the 4-5 inch series snap rings slip off the pliers, you are always glad when they don't come your way!

Yep, I have that problem when using a screwdriver as a chisel and a hammer as a screwdriver.

Regards Ian.