PDA

View Full Version : steady rest SB 9a

laddy
04-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Hey,
I have an after market steady for my South Bend 9A. Does the mounting plate underneath the lathe grip the sides of the undersides of the ways or the metal cast housing under the ways??? There is a lip there and the mounting plate is not the correct one for my lathe. Thanks in advance for the help Fred

laddy
04-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Hey,
I fingered it out! Daaaaa. Thanks anyway best to all Fred

xeddog
04-16-2010, 12:45 PM
With my original SB steady, it mounts on the inner v-way along the rear, and rests on the flat way on the front side. Underneath those two areas, the bed is flat for the mounting plate. Take a look at the tailstock. The two mount in similar fashion. But your steady being after market, all bets are off.

Wayne

laddy
04-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks Wayne! I got the base fitted now and find the Jaws don't extend far enough to the center to be of use in my project. No steel at hand of appropriate demension so I am using some very hard aluminum. I just need to use it presently for turning a zymak crankshaft. Should hold up for light work (I hope). Thanks for the help Fred

SGW
04-17-2010, 10:33 AM
FWIW, the jaws on my SB 10K steady rest are brass. Hard aluminum ought to perfectly satisfactory.