PDA

View Full Version : what do you think

Jerry
04-16-2010, 05:42 PM
You may have trouble believing this, however I have been offered a brand-new 35 year old Emco Super 11 lathe that comes with every option that was available for this lathe. This lathe has never been used. In fact the oil for the headstock is still in the bottles. It was purchased along with the FB2 milling machine that is on a seperate stand, and they have sat in this guy's shop for 35 years without ever being used, not even turned on. He also has a Standard Modern lathe that he uses, however the Super 11 is as it was shipped 35 years ago. I can buy the lathe at a very good price, however I am concerned as to what if any damage may have occured after 35 years of sitting un-used, such as dried out seals, etc. For example, the engaement lever for the cross/longitudinal feed is seized. Do you think that this lathe should be left where it has sat for the last 35 years?

madman
04-16-2010, 05:58 PM
It should be left there. If you dont really ? know dont bring the stuff home.

Oldbrock
04-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Jerry, where is it? I'll take it, just tell me where in Western Canada. Peter

Your Old Dog
04-16-2010, 06:59 PM
I was once faced with a similar situation. I was offered a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost but it sat in the old garage covered up for over 32 years. I passed on it just for peace of mind.....some said it was piece of mind :D

Tony Ennis
04-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Could sitting unused be worse than being used for 32 years, abuse aside?

MrSleepy
04-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Emco are high quality Austrian made machines..

Much easier to put oil in an Emco than remove sand from chicom copies..

Even if you don't want to restore it..there are practically no spares available anymore so you could part it out..

Rob

John Stevenson
04-16-2010, 07:48 PM
I was once faced with a similar situation. I was offered a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost but it sat in the old garage covered up for over 32 years. I passed on it just for peace of mind.....some said it was piece of mind :D

Don't laugh I nearly bought one.
Must have been about a 1935 to 38 model that had been professionally turned into a pickup, probably reached the end of it's life and they had it converted for use on the estate.
Engine was missing a load of bits, head, manifolds carb etc but I was going to drop a Commer two stroke diesel into it so not bothered.

Nuddy, the owner who collected rollers to sell abroad wanted 100 for it, about 4 weeks wages at the time. I offered him 80 and it reached stalemate, he wouldn't budge so I told him to forget it.
No idea what happened to it.

Mcgyver
04-16-2010, 08:12 PM
that's a quality machine, pounce on it if the price is reasonable. who cares if a seal is dried out, if so replace them

lakeside53
04-16-2010, 09:56 PM
It's a piece of junk. Tell you what - I'll talke of off their hands..:D

If you don't buy it I'll.. I'll... never mind... - they are jewels...

I bought a V10P that had been siting in a WET basement for 35 years. No major issues... a few lost cost bearings, a lot of cleaning, a gallon of evaporust and it was back like new.

darryl
04-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Think of it as a set of precision castings and a complete kit of parts that have already been assembled- this latter is so you can take pictures of the various mechanisms as you are taking it apart for cleaning and inspection, as an aid to putting it back together again.

It's probably a real jewel, but it's possible you could ruin it if you tried to run it without doing a complete re and re on it. Sounds like something I would jump on myself if I had the money and room for it.

boslab
04-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Id guess it will work fine, its oil that eats seals [ok they do age but not that badly, Ive opened boxes with 40 year old bearings that have been fine]
it all depends on price.
BTW as for silver ghosts, they are bloody awful pieces of crap, highly overrated, the wiring is a disaster, its literally built like a tank complete with cotton covered cable, light fittings and fuse holders by bulgin [if you've had one you'll know what i mean], the only good bit is the engine, the rest, not impressed.
on a hot day you can stick your thumb nail in the paint!

Jerry
04-17-2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks for all the input guy's, The owner is allowing me to put oil in the lathe and start it up before buying it. I'll let you know how it all turns out. I will probably be buying them, as the price is not a whole lot more than the Emco accessories themselves that are included. The lathe alone has all four Emco chucks, 3 jaw self centering, 4 jaw self centering, 4 jaw independent, and it also has a 3 jaw self centering for the tail-stock. It also has the coolant option and more, including all the carbide insert tool holders from Emco, as well as the Emco tool-post-grinder. The mill has the Emco dividing head as well as other accessories. Thought you would like to hear that. Well, I am out of the house for the day.

Peter.
04-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Almost seems a shame to use it - nah, forget that :D

Circlip
04-17-2010, 08:18 AM
As another Emco owner, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, what is UPS's shipping rate from Canada???

"Part it out"??? Go wash your mouth out with Nitric Acid.

Only thing likely to be a problem is if the spindle has been stood for a looooong time, there could be set on the outer races (Taper rollers).

You got the chance of the FB2 as well??

Hmm, two words, LUCKY BUGGER.

After all the Chiwanese crap bandied about, one can only assume you're learning the British quality of sarcasm to be asking the question?:rolleyes: :D

Regards Ian

MrSleepy
04-17-2010, 02:09 PM
The lathe alone has all four Emco chucks, 3 jaw self centering, 4 jaw self centering, 4 jaw independent, and it also has a 3 jaw self centering for the tail-stock. It also has the coolant option and more, including all the carbide insert tool holders from Emco, as well as the Emco tool-post-grinder. The mill has the Emco dividing head as well as other accessories. Thought you would like to hear that. Well, I am out of the house for the day.

I think you can regard this a test.....If you don't buy it... you need your head testing.

I drive an almost "as new" maximat v13 which lives a cold walk away from the house in winter ...and i would snatch that baby off you in a heart beat..as well as turfing out a loved child to make a bedroom into an indoor workshop..

Rob

John Stevenson
04-17-2010, 04:18 PM
as well as turfing out a loved child to make a bedroom into an indoor workshop..

Rob

Rob you will be able to turn in your sleep if you do that.

Jerry
04-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Well its a done deal, I own a Super 11 and a FB2 Mill with many accessories. We filled the gearboxes with oil and the lathe runs beautiful. After several hours of run time and some light machine work, there were no issues, and everthing operates correctly. It runs very smooth and you would think it was built yesterday, not 30 years ago. I have not run the mill, as I have not filled the gearbox yet, but expect much the same from it. I already own a FB2 mill and will have to make a decision as to what I will do with this one. I have owned a V10P for 30 years and it still runs fine, so I am expecting much the same from the Super 11. I still find it hard to believe someone could have owned this lathe and mill for 30 years, and not ever have used them. Gotta love it! Oh, on a final note, the lathe was actually purchased 30 years ago, not 35 years as I first reported. They were bought from Giles Tool in Toronto who were the Emco distributor at the time for Canada.

PixMan
04-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Congratulations! I envy you.

If you can, please drive deeper the degree of envy by revealing how much money you had to part with for two brand new 30 year-old machines. Curious minds want to know!

Jerry
04-27-2010, 08:34 AM
I thought you guy's might like a follow-up on the new-old-stock Maximat Super 11 lathe that I first started this thread about. This may be the only new 30 year old Maximat Super 11 in existence. The photos show the lathe in my shop - gone through, leveled and bolted down, and ready to rock & roll.
http://www.pbase.com/stormchaser/image/124005332.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/stormchaser/image/124005200.jpg

Your Old Dog
04-27-2010, 09:29 AM
I can clearly see why you were so worried about it! :D

Then of course it's got that ugly blem on it....................never mind, it's a finger print !! I can't imagine what you would have done had you passed on it and then came to your senses !!!