PDA

View Full Version : Did I cock up ?

John Stevenson
04-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Last week made two new stub axles.

Today got a phone call from china that there not happy with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t94NJXCL2SI&feature=player_embedded

Do you think leaded was a good choice of material ?

Peter.
04-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Mazak I reckon :D

Lew Hartswick
04-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Boy thatll put a crimp in his F1 race won't it? Gosh is that this weekend? I have an outdoor project I have to do for a group
and may miss it. DARN.
...lew...

Oldbrock
04-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Not today ray. My choice, 4340 hardened and tempered to 450 F. I would say you are having us on. Either your eyes are brown or you are using a rather large shovel:D Peter

dewat
04-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself John, you have to learn to walk before you can run, keep at it and some day you might make a semi- decent machinist. Till then I suggest you get a real good insurance policy and incorporate. :D

Mark K
04-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Tell 'em you made them from high quality imported Chinese steel...

davidwdyer
04-16-2010, 07:25 PM
It couldn't have been your fault.

It must have been wrong installation.

MotorradMike
04-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Leaded steel? Are you serious? I would have asked you guys first but I would not have made those out of C12L14. OK, that was showing off.
Truth be told, I would've sent the guy to Mr. Stevenson.
If you really did make those stubs, you'll have to buy him a new Chicom race car and you'll be out 100 pounds.

Weston Bye
04-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Last week made two new stub axles.

Today got a phone call from china that there not happy with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t94NJXCL2SI&feature=player_embedded

Do you think leaded was a good choice of material ?

You should have consulted Evan about the torsion... Or did you?

Forrest Addy
04-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Did you forget to include the rear wheel steering brakes? The guy could have made a few more laps on the front frame if he steered it..

clutch
04-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Sorta reminds me of my Ford Ranger 4x4 just south of Shelbyville IN on I-69. Amazing how uneventful it was to lose a front wheel and locking unit at 70 mph. Truck drove like it was on rails, though I was leaning a bit.

I just wish I hadn't tried to brake at 10 MPH, it put a nasty flat on the driver side rotor.

Metal content, I was coming home from a training session at Makino.

Clutch.

MrSleepy
04-16-2010, 08:23 PM
On the red button footage they showed a super slo mo ...

as soon as it hit that bump (the one that broke the lotus undercarriage) it looked like the steering rack or steering linkages broke...both front wheels turned into each other ...then the 1660kw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09zGbRDKGHA) of braking energy (according to Brembo) took over.
It broke the 5000kgs rated steel cable tying the axles to the chassis quite easily.

The stub axles seemed to be in quite good condition as they flew over the cameraman and out of the circuit.

Rob

ZRX61
04-16-2010, 08:37 PM
I notice that at 0.26 he tries to steer away from the wall....... One slight problem with that tho.. no wheels ..lol

John Stevenson
04-16-2010, 08:37 PM
The stub axles seemed to be in quite good condition as they flew over the cameraman and out of the circuit.

Rob
Thank Christ for that, I had visions of driving out there, flights are still banned, and having to weld them up :D

bob_s
04-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Not today ray. My choice, 4340 hardened and tempered to 450 F.

In the 70's General Dynamics used 4340 steel for the wrist pins in the F111a swing wing fighter jets. In testing they had several failures of these pins at average stresses below 10,000 psi (so somewhat worse than mild steel).
Go figure, could have done as well with 1144 and had an easier time machining them.

What was an F111a worth, something like 80 million $US at the time 1973?

Tests were done after 2 augered in, one of those in the Mekong delta.

darryl
04-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Now why would you have gone and used solid leaded steel- where's your sense of economics- you should have instead used pot metal filled lawn chair tubing. Stolen from backyards everywhere of course-

drof34
04-17-2010, 12:44 AM
John, the next time you take a big dose of laxative, stay away from your computer, instead just go to bed and go to sleep. That way we won't have to suffer with you.:D

wierdscience
04-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Didn't someone just post this?The front fell off,that's all.

No Cardboard or Cellotape:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-QNAwUdHUQ

Pete F
04-17-2010, 01:13 AM
I notice that at 0.26 he tries to steer away from the wall....... One slight problem with that tho.. no wheels ..lol

Instinct can be tough to fight. I recall a few years ago, watching an IndyCar race as a driver stuck facing backwards on the track saw another car hit head on and drive right up over his nose. His reaction was to cover his (helmeted) head with his hands, which were subsequently hit by the other car. Later he said his only injury was sore hands. I'd imagine he probably didn't realize he did it, until he saw a replay.

-Pete

beanbag
04-17-2010, 05:19 AM
Perhaps if he had "known how to handle a vehicle in all attitudes and road surfaces" things might have turned out differently ;)

oldtiffie
04-17-2010, 05:38 AM
I wasn't aware that they fitted a "jockey" complete with "driver", arm-chair, drinks and small eats behind the driver - or instead of the driver.

I 'spose that as they - sort of - do it military air-craft they can do in/for cars too.

Does that equate some of the "back-set drivers" with wives and mothers-in-law?

It does?

Learn something new every day here.

John Stevenson
04-17-2010, 06:33 AM
Perhaps if he had "known how to handle a vehicle in all attitudes and road surfaces" things might have turned out differently ;)

It was probably just a 'torque' reaction :D

philbur
04-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Looks like there must be a wrongly labelled button in the cockpit, intended for quick release during tyre changes.

Phil:)

QSIMDO
04-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Now that NASA is looking for work they've got excess inventory of explosive bolts.
Cheap by the gross.

dewat
04-20-2010, 02:07 AM
John, your parts again ??? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8guSoWOafkI

John Stevenson
04-20-2010, 05:15 AM
Damn wheel spacers, I told the guy that 2" long extended studs was too much.
Stuff him it was out of guarantee 2 minutes after leaving the shop. :rolleyes:

krutch
04-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Heck John, I think some chinaman switched out your axles to copy and flood the market with the stuff seen in the video!
Krutch

PaulT
04-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Instinct can be tough to fight. I recall a few years ago, watching an IndyCar race as a driver stuck facing backwards on the track saw another car hit head on and drive right up over his nose. His reaction was to cover his (helmeted) head with his hands, which were subsequently hit by the other car. Later he said his only injury was sore hands. I'd imagine he probably didn't realize he did it, until he saw a replay.

-Pete

You'll also find stories from NASCAR drivers who went for unfortunate upside down slides on the top of their cars that they realized when they got out of the car that during the slide they were mashing the brake pedal down with everything they had.

lynnl
04-20-2010, 08:08 PM
You'll also find stories from NASCAR drivers who went for unfortunate upside down slides on the top of their cars that they realized when they got out of the car that during the slide they were mashing the brake pedal down with everything they had.

...and probably all the while yelling "Whoa you sonuvabitch!" :D

One must use all the tools at his disposal.

Carld
04-20-2010, 08:51 PM
John, I told you hollowing them and putting an explosive charge with a vibration detonator in them would not make them happy at all.

John Stevenson
04-21-2010, 04:35 AM
John, I told you hollowing them and putting an explosive charge with a vibration detonator in them would not make them happy at all.

Things are getting from bad to worse, now someone has stolen ze vurks drawinks for this information to get out.

Oh well, another flat battery in the car park of life.............