PDA

View Full Version : Reviews needed for Enco 5c -> 3" or 4" scroll chuck

clutch
04-16-2010, 08:13 PM
My lathe has a decent 12" 4 jaw and a not so decent 6" scroll that doesn't center (I'm working on that). I also have a collet set up using a 4.5MT insert that accepts 5c collets. I tend to use collets most of the time.

The 3" or 4" set up enco has that has a 5C shank looks tempting but I'd really like to hear from some one that have purchased and used either before prying open my wallet to extract my debit card.

Thanks,

Clutch

PaulT
04-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Clutch, I've used one of the R8 shank 4" chucks, its very similar to the 5C shank chucks. I got it off Ebay but it looks to be like the same one Shars.com sells in both 5C and R8 shank versions.

For the price quality was ok, but I wouldn't try using it for anymore that very light duty work given the skinny shank compared to the width and weight of the chuck body.

If you need a small chuck and plan to use it a lot (or for reasonably heavy cuts or high speed), I'd skip the 5C shank version and get a direct mount chuck. I have a 5" Bison that I use on my 12" lathe, I use it for 99% of my chuck work, its light enough for quick swaps but big enough for most of my chuck jobs, my hernia inducing 8" Buck chuck only goes on when I really need it. The 5" Bison is available with standard backplates that fit most lathes. Its not one of their more common models but if you poke around you can find one.

Paul T.

Arthur.Marks
04-17-2010, 05:09 PM
I use a number of 5C shank chucks. I do not have an Enco or Shars to give you a review on. For a previous thread where I explained my preferences, visit: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/new-vs-old-chuck-dimensions-200264/#post1315178

Weight is your big enemy with a 5C back. I do not have, but have been enticed to try, these "Slim Line" chucks paired with a 5C shank: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Chucks/Lathe-Chucks

I have a number of mid-90's 4" Buck Chucks that fit the bill nicely. They are adjust-tru, but are almost half the weight of the new Bison spec'. Bear in mind that their prices on the used market are often pretty ridiculous.

Since that post, I have particularly enjoyed my NOS 4" Independent Buck #1144. Kalamazoo Chucks has a model 4044 that is a very close copy: http://www.kalamazoochuck.com/catalog/M-23-Four-Jaw-Independent-Chucks-Flatback.htm I have no idea of pricing.

Hope that give you some ideas.

DR
04-17-2010, 09:17 PM
5C shank chucks are the worst idea anyone ever came up with.

Do you know what happens if you crash the tool into the chuck with any force? Think about, you've got a tiny key in there to resist the collet turning in it's sleeve.

clutch
04-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks all for the input. I don't plan to turn big items.

About 3" D max x 1" long, often shorter, often smaller in diameter.

The key doesn't transmit torque unless you crash it. I have already replaced the pin in my collet adapter once but it came that way used.

So far I've not crashed a manual lathe.

Clutch

PaulT
04-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks all for the input. I don't plan to turn big items.

About 3" D max x 1" long, often shorter, often smaller in diameter.

Clutch, to be candid, that's a pretty big workpiece to put in one of these chucks. You'd have to have the jaws reversed and you wouldn't be getting that much jaw overlap. I wouldn't try making any more than light cuts on something that big with that setup or it might take an early exit, these chucks are pretty light duty.

Paul T.