PDA

View Full Version : Wireless wall switch

snowman
04-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Anybody using one of these?

I need a light switch in my living room (just the pull cord on the fan), and due to how the room is set up, it's just too much of a pain to try to fish a wire from the box to where I want the switch (through two headers, both of which would require a decent amount of demolition to get to with a drill and pushrods, and I've got enough work already)

Toolguy
04-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Just use the control for a ceiling fan light hooked to the light and stick the remote control anywhere you want it. There - I fixed it.

dp
04-17-2010, 12:27 AM
There are a lot of wireless power outlet options:

http://www.google.com/products?q=wireless+power+outlet&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=ZSrJS933NIaOswOUxK3YAQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQrQQwAA

wierdscience
04-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Don't have one,but I would like one.

I wonder if a universal TV remote could search and find the code on one or do they even work that way?

Pete F
04-17-2010, 01:40 AM
Not sure if it is what you are talking about, but I have this remote switch (http://www.lutron.com/CMS400/pagebuynow.aspx?id=16947) in my bedroom, and use it to for the master switch for the lights on both sides of the bed. I love it.

-Pete

Evan
04-17-2010, 01:47 AM
I have one to control my skylight LEDs since they are powered from an outlet in the attic. It works just fine. I also use another to switch between security cameras by turning a relay on/off. It also works well but neither one has very much range, maybe 10 to 15 feet.

BillDaCatt
04-17-2010, 04:58 AM
Most ceiling fans are already remote capable. At least many of the ones that were made since 2000 are. It may require taking your fan apart a bit to know for sure, but if yours is anything like mine it probably needed cleaning anyway. ;)

IIRC there should be an unused blue wire on the wiring bundle if it can use a remote. If so, you just need to go to the home center and get the unit that fits your model. Then it is just a matter of wiring the remote box in and tucking it into that tiny space under or next to the mounting bracket.

If your fan is too old to upgrade with a remote unit it may be time to replace it with one that does have that ability.

- BDC

MotorradMike
04-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Don't have one,but I would like one.

I wonder if a universal TV remote could search and find the code on one or do they even work that way?

TV remotes are pretty much all infrared.
Remote wall switches are pretty much all RF.

Your Old Dog
04-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Home Depot, Lowes and many hardware stores have remote wall switches just as you want. They are sold right next to the wall switches and face plates. I have 7 remote controls. One of them controls 3 wall plugs and I use it in the shop. The others were sold for possible use as controls for Christmas lights but could also be used for atheist holidays (do they have any?) I suppose. :D

One of mine controls the heater on my diesel pickup from over 100 feet away.

RKW
04-17-2010, 10:00 AM
I thought that as well, but apparently there are a number of them that have wireless now. Seems like more to go wrong as far as I'm concerned considering quality these days. Pretty soon these universal remotes are going to need to be on wheels :eek:

datsun280zxt
04-18-2010, 07:48 PM
I've got both the wireless wall switch and then one for christmas lights or lamp or whatever. The best use I've found is to hook it up to an electric shaver inside a wooden drawer in the bathroom vanity. Then wait till the wife is in there and hit the remote....it will scare the #$% out of you! It has an excellent range by the way. Never tried the wireless wall switch for range tho.

Home Depot, Lowes and many hardware stores have remote wall switches just as you want. They are sold right next to the wall switches and face plates. I have 7 remote controls. One of them controls 3 wall plugs and I use it in the shop. The others were sold for possible use as controls for Christmas lights but could also be used for atheist holidays (do they have any?) I suppose. :D

One of mine controls the heater on my diesel pickup from over 100 feet away.

TDmaker01
04-18-2010, 11:26 PM
When I was little (7-10yearsish) I was a big reader and I would use a bedside lamp as well as the main light in my room, after reading hours before bed I was often too lazy and tired to get up, walk to the switch and turn the main light off, So I had a series of eye hooks and string tied to the switch strung across the cieling and across the floor and up the walls and down the walls to beside my bed so I could pull one string and turn the light on and pull another to turn the lights off, my dad thought I was too clever to get mad at me for stealing out of his odd bits bin for the hooks and putting holes in the drywall with them. It lasted many years there.

Tie a sring to the cord that hangs from your fixture and put a hook on the wall where you want to turn it on from and problem solved!:D

wierdscience
04-19-2010, 01:14 AM

Well that figures,one more remote for something else.It would be neat to have say a remote that controls the TV,DVR,LIGHTS,AC etc,sadly it will never happen I suppose.

winchman
04-19-2010, 02:09 AM
I'm with TDmaker01. The last house I owned in SC was built on poles with parking for our vehicles underneath. I had strings running every which way from from a pull-chain switch to turn the lights on or off easily from anywhere we normally walked.

Marc M
04-19-2010, 05:38 AM
....It would be neat to have say a remote that controls the TV,DVR,LIGHTS,AC etc,sadly it will never happen I suppose.
Actually, they've been around for years. As an example, Google 'Philips Pronto'. I've had one for several years now and simply love it. With the Pronto I'm able able to seamlessly control all my A/V gear, Tivo, computer, lighting, and everything else that I've got set up for remote control. It takes some time to get it set up initially, but once it's done it's fantastic. There are websites that offer all kinds of panels, graphics and IR codes for the various Pronto series which helps speed up the intial programming. If you can't find codes for your specific equipment, the Pronto can also learn the codes if you have a remote for the equipment.

For remote control of 110vac stuff, I use the X-10 line. Most the lights in my house have X10 modules installed, as well as my printers, some of my test equipment, fans, security cameras, and some other misc. stuff. I even put a solenoid valve on my air compressor via X-10 to turn the air on or off from my little shop so all my hoses aren't pressurized all the time (compressor is in my laundry room). For the Pronto remote to work with the X10 stuff, I had to purchase an X-10 IR controller, but it was only $10 or $15 on Flea-Bay.