PDA

View Full Version : Found the intermittant slow problem

squirrel
04-17-2010, 10:25 AM
This morning the HSM forum was not loading and it stalled on one of the AD servers and I got tired of waiting. I found an adblock plug-in for firefox https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865 and everything is loading much faster. It evens blocks the google ads on our blogspot, eBay is back to fast loading, wish I had that plug in years ago.

bborr01
04-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Is that adblocker just for firefox or will it work with IE too?
If not, does anyone know if there is a good adblocker for IE?
I'm using my smart phone as a modem when I travel (which is right now) and it is kind of slow.
Thanks,
Brian

vpt
04-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Yes the add blockers are nice! There are a couple forums where the adds are so bad I don't even visit them anymore.

An example is www.honda-tech.com

Was the biggest honda forum on the web, then internet brands bought them out, loaded the forum with adds, and it has gone downhill since.

squirrel
04-17-2010, 01:00 PM
I am getting a big surprise, the number of ads on all the websites I have visited is unreal. You can mouse over the red logo for ABP on the title bar and it will tell you how many ads are blocked.
Tried CNN and Fox and half the page is now gone!!!!! The google searches are alot cleaner too, it seems to be blocking all those eBay adpartners that have the BS sites that link back to eBay auction listings instead of what you are actually looking for.

I would almost bet money that if some one would do that for IE, the devil would be on their doorstep, postage paid by MS

squirrel
04-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Yes the add blockers are nice! There are a couple forums where the adds are so bad I don't even visit them anymore.

An example is www.honda-tech.com

Was the biggest honda forum on the web, then internet brands bought them out, loaded the forum with adds, and it has gone downhill since.
I just went to that site and found some ads that still shown, just right click on the ad and mouse to the bottom of the pop up and click on block ad, WOW!!!! this is fun

Tony Ennis
04-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Today's issue was different than previous issues.

Did it ever occur to you guys that talking about ad-blockers is extremely uncool on a free website that requires ad revenues?

topct
04-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Did it ever occur to you guys that talking about ad-blockers is extremely uncool on a free website that requires ad revenues?

I don't mind ads. When they fix them, I'll unblock them.

I've only blocked the two screwed up things out of the 27 the ad blocker says are on this page. So what's the big deal?

Liger Zero
04-17-2010, 03:54 PM
That's fair. That's what I do. Annoying banner ads, flashers, talking ads, animations. Static ads don't bother me. Sometimes I even click on them.

Annoy the piss out of me I won't buy your product. :D

Too_Many_Tools
04-17-2010, 03:57 PM
That's fair. That's what I do. Annoying banner ads, flashers, talking ads, animations. Static ads don't bother me. Sometimes I even click on them.

Annoy the piss out of me I won't buy your product. :D

Same here.

Any ad that annoys me doesn't get my business.

TMT

Black_Moons
04-17-2010, 04:02 PM
I just live with the ads. Homeshopmachinist.net is VERY ad free compaired to... 99% of the internet.

Iv even clicked glacerns ad a few time. I really don't mind seeing the glacern ad. I pertty much NEVER click ads anywhere else on the internet. Basicly never related to what looking for and they allways are lies on other websites.

Shars ad kinda annoys me however as it seems like they are trying to directly compete with glacern. and while they do have better prices, some of shars quality is not quite up to snuff. Advertising quality in the ad thats likey not there is a big minus for me.

But at least both are still wayyyy better then the typical spue of google ads and facebook for <censored> and fullscreen partypoker popups that occure so freqently I wonder if I have a virus or not, but no, turns out they just can waste that much of thier users money on advertising.

Though sometimes google ads is rather humorus..
Like when you visit a page detailing how cold cures do not work at all, google ads will of course fill the ad space with 'GUARENTEED 100% MONEY BACK TO CURE YOUR COLD!' 'LEARN THIS 10,000 YEAR OLD CHINESE COLD REMEDY!' etc.

dp
04-17-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm going to go a step further. I don't care for dead tree media but I'm going to subscribe to the HSM magazine. I'd been buying them from time to time at the local Barnes & Noble but I don't get there often enough to keep up.

I'm still looking for a clean way to add a permalink to my web page for this site. Unlike PM, this site has no HSM logo.

squirrel
04-17-2010, 05:18 PM

I was under the impression the HSM site is sponsored by the magazine.

Regarding the online advertising, it is only good for a limited number of products. We spent several thousand dollars on the Google cost per click and only sold 1 item!!!!! Then I got smart and advertised in 4 magazines, our very first ad was in HSM and the day hit the streets we started taking orders. We can always tell when the new magazines are out our website traffic jumps and the phone rings alot.

The internet is fine but it is more hype then anything, it only benefits bargain shoppers that will never have another transaction with you unless you give it to them for no profit. Google has realized many of us have discovered this with our own research and that is why their business model is shifting to cell phone sales and online book deals. Their Cost Per click ship is slowly sinking and the good old print stuff is coming back.