PDA

View Full Version : arc welding can it be safely done with pacemakers/defibrillator

tom
06-23-2001, 04:41 PM
does any one have experience arc welding while using a heart pacemaker or defibrillator. could it be done working behind a grounded metal screen like a faraday cage to stop the interference to medical devices? tom

Ron LaDow
06-24-2001, 01:27 PM
Tom,
This could have pretty serious consequences. Are you sure you want a lot of chip makers' opinions? An MD sounds like a better source.
Just my $0.02.
Ron LaDow

artificer in metal
06-25-2001, 12:33 AM
Having welded in a few circumstances where I couldn't even put the rod into the holder (had to drop it in) I would suggest the following.
1. Make sure you wear your protective gear.
You can get boots (Red Wings is what I have) that are rated for resistance to electrical current. Wear good gloves (I tend to use them even if there is a hole in a finger).
2. I would get an industrial rubber mat to stand on.
3. Before accepting this check with a doc who knows something about welding.

There may be differences depending on whether it is TIG, MIG, stick as to the danger to you.

Your environment is very important too - dry floors really reduce any shock hazard.

This may sound sort of self explanatory (sorry for that) but I have had to work in conditions that were the opposite of these ideas quite a few times (sometimes even in a shop!!!)

toff
06-25-2001, 01:45 AM
Hi,
Go to the horses mouth!
http://www.medtronic.com/

These people have even checked out Kirlian Photography!
They Build Em: You live with them!!
toff
New thought,
Look on the card that the surgeon gave you after surgery, to carry in your wallet. It will have the type of device, the manufacturer and their toll free number.

[This message has been edited by toff (edited 06-25-2001).]

tom
06-25-2001, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys.. the medtronic site is very informative

charlie coghill
06-26-2001, 12:24 AM
Hi Tom. The guys gave real good advice.

Directly behind my miller syncrowave tig welder is a GFCI and every time I use the TIG function on the welder it trips the gfci.

There are several gfci's in the shop,but this is the only one that trips.All of them are feed off the same main pannel that the welder is. So I do not belive that is a feed back problem as much as a frequency radiating from the high frequency of the TIG

Good luck and check with your Dr.
Charlie