PDA

View Full Version : Small Part Storage Units Using Empty Film Canisters

Too_Many_Tools
04-18-2010, 05:20 PM
I am interested in seeing how others have used empty film canisters for large scale small part storage.

What cabinets, drawers, shelves,etc. have you made to hold these plastic film canisters?

Considering how quickly digital cameras have taken over the world, the plastic film canister is an endangered species.

TMT

clutch
04-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Film containers? You sure are retro. ;)

Clutch

Doc Nickel
04-18-2010, 05:44 PM
My empty film canisters are called "formatted memory cards". :D

Doc.

Black_Moons
04-18-2010, 05:58 PM
theres lots of places that sell little jars and containers, lots of them clear or at least see through lids, for pertty cheap.

BadDog
04-18-2010, 06:02 PM
I prefer square stuff; much better storage density. Sometimes that is the sheet metal boxes with dividers inside. They generally are about 20" wide, 12-16" deep, and 2" or so tall. Often they have parent racks that hold stacks with lift out full extension trays. Baring that, the vertical stacks with 64 or so square bins, or flat plastic of similar dimensions to the steel mentioned above.

dp
04-18-2010, 06:07 PM
I don't have any that don't have film in them and it's not likely that film will ever get used. I bought a set of 12 of this type container from HF:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/storage-metal-container

Mine are 1 1/2" dia x 2" tall, and have a clear plastic lid in a metal ring. Chrome plated steel.

The HF item # is 47508 but they don't seem to offer them now. I should have bought more!

websterz
04-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Know any diabetics? Glucose test strips come in some very durable canisters. I save all of mine and my dads for holding pre-measured black powder loads for the range and hunting season. I have some that are 4 seasons old and still going strong. As a plus there is a desiccant liner in most of them.

PixMan
04-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Film?? What is this thing you call film?

:D

If anyone wants some nostalgic film canisters, I have the goods. They are Kodak metal 35mm film cans with metal screw-on tops from the 1950's (and maybe 60's?) I've got all the colors to represent Panatomic, Super X, Plus X, Tri-x and Kodachrome. I even have a new, full roll of Dynachrome with the Leica cut to the leader.

If you know what that means...you just might be an old photographer.

clutch
04-18-2010, 08:17 PM
I remember the aluminum film cans. Never could live in Leica land so I don't know about the leader cut.

I did reload a lot of cassettes though with 400 ASA Tri-X in the early 70's. Was it Fuji or Ilford that had the best reloadable cassettes?

Clutch

PixMan
04-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Ilford, no question.

I used to shoot, process and print about 10 to 16 rolls of B&W every Sunday night in my darkroom, and the only automation I had was a print dryer. I'd also load all that film (T-Max 400) with a Watson bulk loader. This was 1994-2000.

When digital came along, the D1 cost $5000. The newspaper I was working for (a weakly rag) instead bought a couple of point & shoot digitals, and expected me to use one. That's when I quit, spent my own money for a D1 and went independent. Now I don't do it at all anymore. Darkroom is a storage facility. Even the 28x96x8 S/S sink & stand I made are gone, along with the D2XL, 23CII, Jobo CPP2 and all the high end S/S graduates and trays.

I held onto those mint-condition Kodak film cans for some odd reason.