PDA

View Full Version : pinging Computer buffs

Alistair Hosie
04-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Everytime I ask a seller a question on ebay for something I am interested in I get a prompt to type in a security number this has been going on for a few years without exeption.I am becoming sick of It.I telephoned ebay and asked them about it the foreign lady was quite buillish and taked over me all the time she was insistant that this happens to everyone every time they ask questions on ebay done for their own security. I told her I don't believe that. Anyway I opened a new ebay account in my wifes name and guess what when I asked a seller a question on my wifes computer no prompt for digits to be typed in.NEVER!!!!! .When I checked into my own acc on my wifes computer it was fine again never a prompyNEVER!!!!!! however the minute I tried it on my own computer the prompt came back .I notice when I ask the seller a question in Germany no prompts come up or in my sons house with my account on his computer, it doesn't show up just on my own computer so the lady from ebay is telling lies when she said everyone has to do this evertime they ask the seller a question on ebay ,but it seems to be my computer which ebay have it fixed or jinxed please could anyone tell me slowly how to overcome this as I am no computer nerd.?Alistair ps I dont use an internet exploreer just aol and also use windows xp

biometrics
04-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Alistair,

Don't use AOL. They use a bastard of an internet browser. Just Log on to AOL because that's where you obviously get your service, and it may be where you have a comfort level. Once logged in then then minimize the AOL window and open anther REAL browser like FIREFOX or INTERNET EXPLORER and you may see your problem disappear...

If it doesn't, then use the TOOLS menu of your browser to delete ALL COOKIES, and then log back in to ebay...

AOL is not and never has been a quality product... that is why they failed at becoming an internet service provider....it was invented for folks who are not nerds, but they carried it too far... They are like the government, they want to be part of everything and control all that you do...

Good luck and do let us know if this cures your problem.

macona
04-19-2010, 03:20 PM
For some reason ebay thinks you computer may be a bot. Might be the browser you are running.

Alistair Hosie
04-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Well anyway I will try firefox I had been advised by so many to use it before bu8t I have a large selection of favourites selected and saved to make things easier the only reason I haven't done it before is that I might lose all of them and have to restart again with hsm ebay etc etc etc saving them all again thanks anyway guys your a great bunch.Alistair

KIMFAB
04-19-2010, 04:50 PM
When you install Firefox it gives the option to import bookmarks.

MTNGUN
04-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Best way to protect your precious bookmarks is to install the Xmarks option on Firefox, then set it up to store the bookmarks on the Xmarks server. Also works with Chrome and perhaps another browser or two.

Even if the PC crashes and eats your bookmarks, they'll still be safe on the server. Plus, you can access the same bookmarks from multiple computers.

aboard_epsilon
04-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Everytime I ask a seller a question on ebay for something I am interested in I get a prompt to type in a security number this has been going on for a few years without exeption.I am becoming sick of It.I telephoned ebay and asked them

you're brave or have deep pockets .......do you have a number that doesn't cost 1.50 in minuet ..cause if you phoned 0906 665 8030 .that's what it just cost you !

all the best.markj

EVguru
04-22-2010, 12:28 PM
There's a reason it's known as A-O-HELL!

I dumped them years back when they removed the ability to send emails in plain ASCII (a requirement on some email lists) and (in the UK) completely refused to admit that they'd done so.

Completely getting rid of AOL on a computer is best achieved with a low level format, it's worse than many viruses.