PDA

View Full Version : South Bend Lathe

davidwdyer
04-19-2010, 12:28 PM
I have a 13" South Bend lathe which has just a few thou. play in the head. I vaguely remember that there are some shims to take out and some felt wicking which needs replacing sometimes.

I will be in the U.S. soon and want to buy whatever is necessary to fix this when I come back.

Can anyone help with diagrams? Where do I get the felt, etc?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

squirrel
04-19-2010, 01:07 PM
I have a 13" South Bend lathe which has just a few thou. play in the head. I vaguely remember that there are some shims to take out and some felt wicking which needs replacing sometimes.

I will be in the U.S. soon and want to buy whatever is necessary to fix this when I come back.

Can anyone help with diagrams? Where do I get the felt, etc?

Any and all help will be appreciated.
Hi, unless it is really sloppy I would not take out any shims. A bushed machine needs clearance or it will overheat and expand thus causing more wear and a tight spindle. You can buy the wicking from Mcmaster Carr, I stick mine in the ultrasonic cleaner for a while then dry them out. If they are totaly trashed a replacement would be needed.

quadrod
04-19-2010, 01:23 PM
You should read this
http://www.wswells.com/data/howto/SBL_form_2002.pdf
felt wicks can be obtained from
http://www.southbendlathe.com/parts.aspx

Fasttrack
04-19-2010, 01:56 PM
When I did the Heavy 10 at work, the fellows over on PM told me to put a bar through the spindle and to apply about 75 lbs of force on the bar. Then put an indicator on the spindle nose and read the deflection. The total deflection should be on the order of 0.0005" to 0.0007" for oil clearance. Less than this and it will seize up. More than this and you need to remove a shim.

There are also "bearing shaping screws". Make sure those are adjusted correctly. There should be instructions regarding these printed on the headstock cover.

davidwdyer
04-19-2010, 02:40 PM
OK, great quadrod, I printed out those pages and it looks really helpful. I think I'll take it apart just before leaving and get any parts I need on arrival.

My deflection is definitely more than .0005". I think I remember years ago when I bought it that it was almost 0. It is possible that I have used way oil one time or another to lubricate it and perhaps this has gummed up the felt wicking.

davidwdyer
04-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Hey Mr. Squirrel,

Is there a way to get the felt out of the head without removing everything?

flathead4
04-22-2010, 11:28 AM
According the guys over at the South Bend forum on PM (and the maintenance document referenced by quadrod above), the deflection should be .0007 to .0015. So greater than .0005 is a good thing. I don't see how it could be almost zero and still rotate.

Tom

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/south-bend-spindle-bearing-runout-182651/

laddy
04-22-2010, 07:10 PM
I have that much play in my own head! I wouldn't worry about it. You will screw something else up along the way and negate it! Fred

quadrod
04-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi Davidwdyer, You will have to take the spindle out of the head stock to replace the wicks. You will also have to cut the belt to do this, don't fret though, take this opportunity to replace the leather belt with a serpentine one. I got an 11 grove belt, thats right eleven groves, for my 13 SB. It was not cheep at $75.00 but well worth it. Over on the PM site is a thread on serpentine belts and how to glue them up. This will be a good time to press the bull gear off the spindle and clean and lube the pulleys and back gears.