PDA

View Full Version : Worth $100?

cuemaker
04-20-2010, 09:44 AM
I offered what I thought was low, got a call to come pick it up... Not sure of the brand, but working on it. I have been wanting some type of arbor press... is the same thing but with foot action?

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/xringx/kickpress1.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/xringx/kickpress.jpg

Frank Ford
04-20-2010, 09:57 AM
I believe that's as production type machine, often called a "kick" press, and indeed it's worth a C-note. We have an older one in the front room of the guitar shop for public use - it has dies for stamping guitar picks:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Fun/PickMachine/PickMachViews/pickmachine01.jpg

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Fun/PickMachine/PickMachViews/pickmachine03.jpg

gwilson
04-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Those used to go for $25.00 according to a friend of mine who is a silversmith manufacturer. It has minimal power. They only used theirs to put a crown on thin silver earrings using a rubber die to press them into. I doubt you could generate more than a hundred or two pounds of downward force with one. Look at the linkage and figure it out. How many pounds of force in your stepping on it X what ? 4 or 5 ?

TGTool
04-20-2010, 11:04 AM
No personal experience but I would have expected them to use a cam like Frank's or an over-center toggle mechanism to mutiply the force. In use you'd need almost no force but a lot of travel for loading in the first part of the cycle, then a lot of force for just the last forty to sixty thousandths.

Mike Burdick
04-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Is it worth it?

Only if you can use it!

In my life I've come across many items that were so inexpensive and looked sooooo good that I bought them. Now I've got those items stuffed in an old barn waiting for that "magic day" to arrive when I can find a use for them. It's doubtful it ever will.

I'm not too sure, but I think I've learned that ... sometime the best deal is to just walk away! But...sometime my memory fails.:o

When I die my wife or children will have a yard sale and all the people I know will walk thru and chuckle, "... he bought this?" "Sheesh!"

polepenhollow
04-20-2010, 12:20 PM
I used to blank out throttle plates for MCY carbs on one of these.
1/32 Brass, about 1 1/4 dia. It took a good sturdy kick.
Grind your male die on 1 or 2 degree angle. It would not cut with a flat or 0 degree punch. With a slight angle, it perfed well. It took a good, "Sturdy As**" kick, but it worked.
Kinda' like kick starting an old Harley Panhead.
Ken

ckalley
04-20-2010, 12:57 PM
We had the same kick press in one of the shops I used to work in. We used it for crimping ID bands (.030 thick SS) around the cables we built. It took a pretty good kick to get them tight, but it worked well for what we used it for.

The same machine is (was?) being made by a company in Racine, WI, but the name escapes me now. Kamco, or something like that......

Craig

Paul Alciatore
04-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Those used to go for $25.00 according to a friend of mine who is a silversmith manufacturer. It has minimal power. They only used theirs to put a crown on thin silver earrings using a rubber die to press them into. I doubt you could generate more than a hundred or two pounds of downward force with one. Look at the linkage and figure it out. How many pounds of force in your stepping on it X what ? 4 or 5 ?

OK, doing the math. I weigh over 250 lbs so that is what I can generate if I step down on the pedal. 250 X 5 = 1250 lbs. Or, over 1/2 ton. Not a very big one, but definitely usable for many things.

It only takes a few hundred pounds to stake terminals on a PC board. I have an even smaller press I use for that kind of work and have used it many, many times. It could punch holes in plastic, in leather, light gauge aluminum or brass, many things.

rockrat
04-20-2010, 04:23 PM
He he he, driving to N.H. huh? I saw that posted as well, thought about it and decided that I didnt have a use for it. Now I know where to go if I come up with a use. :)

Let us know if it turns up in your shop. I'm curious to see it making something.

cuemaker, did you see the torch kit down south about 2 weeks back. $300 with large tanks. I should have had my dad go buy it for me. Oh well, it all makes good stories.

Good luck

Cheers
rock~

BadDog
04-20-2010, 04:23 PM
If you want an arbor press, I wouldn't think that would make a very good one. While it would work for smaller stuff, the throat is not deep enough for some of the things I use my 2 ton on.

cuemaker
04-20-2010, 04:35 PM
All and Rockrat..

I am considering passing...I am really looking for an arbor press and thought this would fit the bill and be an interesting tool to begin with....

Rock, re the tanks, no didnt jump on those.. I am in the market for a tank for argon/co2 for my new to me mig welder..But I am leary about buying a tank of CL...would I be able to trade it in?

gwilson
04-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Can you really put all of your 250# into a 1 footed kick ? You might be stretching it. they only ever used their presses to put a little crown in .030 silver where I saw them being used. In Rhode Island,big jewelry industry ,formerly,they are nearly giving them away.

Too_Many_Tools
04-20-2010, 05:30 PM
I have used them to set small rivets.

They work well for the type of light work they are designed for.

It sounds like you are looking for an arbor press for general use...and this machine is NOT that.

Keep looking.

TMT

Rustybolt
04-20-2010, 07:09 PM
A FAMCO kickpress

Jim Shaper
04-20-2010, 09:08 PM
That unit looks similar in size to my famco #3 arbor press. I paid $100 for it. It would've been more, but the idiots who got rid of it didn't realise that you could adjust the slop out of them with 4 screws.

They're out there if you keep looking.

DR
04-21-2010, 05:12 AM
.................................................. ..................... In Rhode Island,big jewelry industry ,formerly,they are nearly giving them away.

A friend grew up in Rhode Island. As a kid he was always told, "study hard, get good grades or you'll end up on the (kick) press".

gwilson
04-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Dr,the sequel to that might be: You'll eventually look like a fiddler crab,one BIG leg !!:) Like a treadle lathe operator.

Frank Ford
04-21-2010, 12:00 PM
True enough, it does take a solid push even to punch a guitar pick from a credit card. The littlest kids have to work in pairs - one holding the credit card in place and the other jumping with both feet on the pedal. . .