PDA

View Full Version : Busting a nut... "G" rated...

ibewgypsie
11-03-2003, 07:07 PM
I got a real dilly today.. A 1976 SHovelhead harley with belt drive, the front pulley has to come off to replace the altenator. Problem was, two other people had been trying to remove it.

Ears were about gone off the nut from previous attempts, They had tried to use heat, it caught fire. They had used a chisel to tap loose.

I filed for about ten minutes and put my impact socket on it, it would not come loose, I suspect Locktite was used.

I then drilled a 1/8" hole in nut through shoulder in between points. Took a large blunt chisel and a 3 pound hammer, one angled whack and the 1 & 1/2" "nut busted" at the drilled hole releasing tension and spinning freely off.

I needed a new nut anyways since the other one was ruint (*georgia word)

I fixed something two other people could not.
I sure feel sorry for the roller bearings that took a beating.

Never done this before, I thought it might work so I tried it.

Budwieser time now...

Peter S
11-03-2003, 07:24 PM
I had a similar job a few weeks ago, replacing a CV joint on a friends car, the axle nut (1 1/4" AF) would not come off (if I had 3/4 drive rattle gun...but I didn't). I drilled through the nut parallel to the axle, tried the chisel trick, no go. Drilled another hole at 180* to the first, then a light blow with the chisel released the tension.
(It wasn't until I had busted a 1/2" power bar and given myself a black eye that I gave up and left it for the next day. Lying in bed next morning thinking -I bet the new CV joint will have a new nut, why don't I drill the old one off...still learning...)

Evan
11-03-2003, 07:57 PM
There is a tool called a nutcracker for removing such problems without whacking the bearings. It goes over the nut and has a chisel point that is driven into the nut to split it by means of a threaded bolt that you put your ratchet on.

Traceman
11-03-2003, 08:22 PM
It is cool that they have a tool that you can bust a nut without whacking with. I will have to look for that. Is it at Spencers?

If I am reading it right you now have a Harley or did you just get brought in to fix it? Anyway congratulations on the Harley. My first one was a 76 FLH Shovelhead back in 86. And now 3 Harley's later I have a 03 Heritage Softail.

ibewgypsie
11-03-2003, 09:28 PM
Evan, Nut is up inside the primary housing. Not able to get anything up in there, in a recessed motor pulley. Chisel would not hit straight on.

Trace...
I am partners in a motorcycle shop in Tunnel Hill Georgia, we are building several bikes at the moment including one 230 tire fatboy, just started a C-cab assembly(tbucket frame) got the 71 camaro paint stripped, a corvette in there with knock in engine and several other "hot projects"

So far, I am starving to death, partner is pushing me backwards faster than I can claw forward.

I presently have several harleys to ride, but do not own one of my own. I have my eye on one here as a keeper. With this business, you get one, work on it, someone wants it more then you do, buys it, you replace it. vicious circle. Junk rolls in, you debug them and resell them.

The hired help can take a good 20,000 dollar motorcycle and turn it into a 10,000 motorcycle in just a little while. SO, I bitch and holler a lot.

I am working on a fender machine, making custom fenders. ANother addition to the english wheel frame. We bend our own frames thanks to some help from this board on making precision bends. I seem not to be able to keep a welder thou, they get drunk or run off to the big money jobs. Maybe I am just a a-hole to work for?

Michael Az
11-03-2003, 09:38 PM
ibewgypsie, I wonder if the gentle persuading knocked the flywheels out? Seems like the runout has to be within .001
Michael

gamachinist
11-04-2003, 12:19 AM
Traceman,
After I read this:
"It is cool that they have a tool that you can bust a nut without whacking with. I will have to look for that. Is it at Spencers?"
my first thought was huh?Then I remembered Spencers from my younger days at the mall.Almost fell off the chair!

ibewgysie,
I know what you mean about welders,maybe you need to practice some and DIY.
Get rid of the help,put them all on commission and hire someone to answer the phone.Then put a chain across most of the shop (a cable with a large dog running back and forth works great too)and put everyone who is working behind the chain.The dog will keep the customers out from under foot so you can get some work done.

Ruint.Been a while since I heared that word.The wife of one of my buddies is the only person I can remember using that word.
Except I think she says it's "ruinted".

Time to do something productive so I'll catch ya'll later, Robert. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

[This message has been edited by gamachinist (edited 11-03-2003).]

BillH
11-04-2003, 12:23 AM
I've done that before, removing an old receiver stump from a FN-FAl rifle kit. Heck If I could unscrew that old receiver stump from the barrel. What everyone does is take a dremel with a cut off disc, cut a groove down to the threads , and take a log splitter to crack open the stub and freely unscrews.

Al Messer
11-04-2003, 09:28 AM
"Ruint"? I thought that was a South Alabama word. LOL!

ibewgypsie
11-04-2003, 09:35 AM
Micheal...

In Older days, the harleys had compensator sprockets on them with a spring, it was normal to see people use a punch and hammer to tighten up. No damage done in the past.

Being the anal retentive person I am I use or make sockets for each. I still have a compensator nut socket somewhere. I have a snap on socket I cut to make a super deep well for the transmission nut.

Since the flywheels were not restrained on the other side I would say there is not a problem. NOW if they had tried to lock the other side down. You have to have a brass hammer to release the taper fit on the crank pin. There is a locking nut, and the other side is keyed. We have a flywheel truing jig that cost 700$ but I used my leblond lathe the last time I did. You hand spin, check with light torque on the nut after alignment with set up plate, (plate with two rods that just fit flywheel lineup holes) set flywheels on 2x4 on high side and tap with small brass hammer. Usually the line up holes are really close and you don't have to do much. They can be out of alignment more then just the around kind. Side to side also, requires a wedge to correct.

The transmission clutch hub nut is left hand thread, possibly the last mechanics thought it was the same on the motor shaft. Thou the tears on the ears of the nut was going in the right direction. The threads are-were visible if they had looked.

I got this old coke machine there, we are loading it with beer. at 75cents each thou it'll have to be BUSH or Shaffer.. (cheap stuff) I am after a relaxed biker type atmosphere in the shop, no killer pitt bulldogs during day, or so rough I have to carry my pistole.
I do not want a TEE shirt store like the local harley shop.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-04-2003).]

Stick
11-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Now I KNOW I gotta come down your way and visit! We'd have a pile in common. I've been wrenchin' on Harleys since the early 70's, and like you, I've trued them flywheels in the lathe.....easy enough to get them down to one or two thou.....but getting them right down to zero is a pile of hours! LOL!

Best of luck in your endeavours!

Stick
IBEW 2034

ibewgypsie
11-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Zero? Never have I saw that. Close thou... Some people run them directly off the line up jig.

I have worked on some shakers for sure. I had one that kept cracking the mirrors. I found one 60 over piston and one standard in it. (after I replaced both chains)

Yeah come on down, if we don't get a shot in the arm soon thou I may be back at TVA doing my electrical thing. (short calls) I gotta pay the child support.

crossthreaded
11-05-2003, 11:03 PM
gypsie,
I thought Harly shops WERE to sell designer apparel & coffee cups to dinks (double income no kids) The one near ME seems to make more $ selling clothes & PARTS than cycles.

CCWKen
11-06-2003, 02:53 AM
"Ruint" is a Texas word, yall. Just like Tilted. (I tilted my gardn last week.) Reminds me, I'll be needn to get my tilter put away for winter. Or as we say, I'll be fixin to do it.

By the way, Sears (Craftsman) has the best nut cracker for the price. Don't get the cheap knock-offs lessin you be crackin Pecans or Walnuts.

Evan
11-06-2003, 02:59 AM
Funny,

My sister lives in Texas and she never says ruint even though she does carry a 45 magnum in her purse. That could ruint your day.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 11-06-2003).]

Jaymo
11-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Rernt.
At least that's the way I've always heard it.

I have one of those nut busters. I got it from Husky, back when Husky tools were made in USA.

I still prefer whackin' it. That's my favorite way to bust a nut.(not G rated)

Stick
11-06-2003, 10:39 PM
I've done it twice down to zero.....took about 40 hours the first time (was on Hydro time anyway, so it wasn't a waste of MY time), the second was a total fluke.

I've run across the ol' one jug bigger syndrome a few times too. Always amazes me that somebody would go that much time and expense and not do the whole job.

I hear ya on the child support...that's the only reason I'm still workin' for someone else. I'm a hydro station operator. What the hey, money don't come too much easier.

Stick

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
Zero? Never have I saw that. Close thou... Some people run them directly off the line up jig.

I have worked on some shakers for sure. I had one that kept cracking the mirrors. I found one 60 over piston and one standard in it. (after I replaced both chains)

Yeah come on down, if we don't get a shot in the arm soon thou I may be back at TVA doing my electrical thing. (short calls) I gotta pay the child support. </font>

CCWKen
11-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Geez; speaking of CS, I just make my FINAL payment last month! The shock of what to do with the extra $750 a month hasn't sunk in yet. Too old to party now. Might just slack on the work... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

ibewgypsie
11-08-2003, 11:52 AM
CCW.. My vote is for you to buy one of these custom Harley clones I keep pushing out to the street.

Ha Ha..

You meet the nicest people on a custom. Or, you can buy one of the older bikes quietly dripping on the floor and redo it to YOUR spec.

I'd like to get about four or five HSM'ers together to ride up and see Thrud in the spring. (about two weeks long) Maybe ride around his house about twice racing the engines then ride off. Really..

ibewgypsie
11-08-2003, 12:28 PM
Stick..

All the hydro operators here are being automated out. Funny, I don't think they can feel the impending doom vibration that cracks dams. At Nickajack, it was vibrating so hard some of the flouresent tubes fell out in the draft tube. I know, I was there upgrading the lights.

I had two guys there which I hunted more then I found working. I should've fired them for being out of thier work areas. Everyone likes to take advantage of a man's good nature.

Stick
11-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Us too.....they want to make us "multiskilled"! All that means really is putting maintenance people onto night shifts. So far, I'm still a dinosaur operator, but we'll see for how long. The way i see it is we're awfully cheap insurance. The plant I'm at work in tonight flooded to tailrace when the outer headcover studs failed.....11 years ago..........and we're still in cleanup mode. had there not been an operator here to drop headgates, she would have washed out right to forebay level. As it was, she flooded to tailrace in less than a minute!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
Stick..

All the hydro operators here are being automated out. Funny, I don't think they can feel the impending doom vibration that cracks dams. At Nickajack, it was vibrating so hard some of the flouresent tubes fell out in the draft tube. I know, I was there upgrading the lights.

I had two guys there which I hunted more then I found working. I should've fired them for being out of thier work areas. Everyone likes to take advantage of a man's good nature.</font>

docsteve66
11-09-2003, 09:59 AM
Stick: You need to do some research on the "multi skill" bit.

Things change (even for better some times) but, in 1980, I had forty different "blue collar" trades in my division (a US Civil service job). I wanted to make them multi-skilled for flexibility. Personnel was ready to go (I should have been warned when Personnel said "go for it" (or words to that effect). Friend in personnel warned me that the men would soon be down graded, because it had been determined that "no man can be expert in all trades". Thus when I combined welders and sheet metal and plate iron smiths (just and example) into plate iron smiths, the pay would go down to the lowest (welder) not up to middle or top pay. Have your union do some digging (or better yet you workers do the digging. IAM here let me screw the men several times because they would not fight for what they could have got). Keep in mind that management is required by law to run things cheap as possible and some (especially Personnel) think that means cut wages til only the sorriest will stay.

"Rights not exercised are soon forgotten and lost".

Steve

wierdscience
11-09-2003, 08:45 PM
I always wonder whats up when they ask me to train someone under me,does that mean we need more help-or-are they wanting cheaper labor instead of me? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

ibewgypsie
11-09-2003, 11:28 PM
Weird, never give them all.. I did once, I set the laptop computer up to show which cables went to where, what programs went to which PLC and I was laid off the next day. They replaced me with a younger man whom they paid $7 a hour and promised a lot to. I got some more on the job education.

Try to find a job for a bent-nosed tattooed 275lb biker with a attitude in a office enviroment.. HA... I got out a tool box before food stamps.. I got a desk now, (my tool box is under it)

David

ps..
Cool beans thou... I walked around a car show Saturday admiring several of the cars/trucks I have assembled in the past few years.. Made me puff my chest out... The happiest are the ones they actually drive/enjoy..

I just traded my 71 camaro & tattoo bus for the shovelhead this post was started on. Guess I'll have to get used to looking at it.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-10-2003).]