PDA

View Full Version : Shell Tonna 68 in Weiler headstock and gearbox?

djinh
04-28-2010, 05:40 AM
A few days ago a very pretty Weiler LZ VS2 found its way into my workshop :D

The manual I have talks about N36 DIN 51501 oil, but I can't seem to find any. I still have a big barrel of Shell Tonna 68 and its datasheet says it can be used in the headstock as well.

Is this true? Or should I get something else?

Alex

MuellerNick
04-28-2010, 07:33 AM
N36 DIN 51501 oil

Whatever that is, contact an oil manufacturer (Shell, $whatever) and let that translate to local standards. Before you ruin something.

Nick

form_change
04-29-2010, 08:54 AM
It depends on how much you use things, how many drums of oil you want sitting around and how much you trust oil sales reps versus machine tool sales reps.
I run Shell tonna 68 in my lathe gear boxes and don't have a problem, but then I'm a hobby machinist who is running a 50 year old lathe. If I were running a CNC machine for a business I would be using the manufacturer's recommended oil as I would be wary of taking a chance. I told the Shell rep what the original oil recommended was and he was able to identify equivalents and give me several options on what I could use. I chose the tonna 68 as I was already using it on the slides and he confirmed that it was a reasonable substitute.
Michael

lazlo
04-29-2010, 10:28 AM
The manual I have talks about N36 DIN 51501 oil, but I can't seem to find any. I still have a big barrel of Shell Tonna 68 and its datasheet says it can be used in the headstock as well.

Shell Tonna 68 is ISO 68 weight way oil (same stuff as Mobil Vactra #2). I seriously doubt that's what Weiler wants in the headstock.

That's a gorgeous toolroom lathe -- call up Weiler or get a copy of the manual and use the right oil. Most likely a hydraulic oil like the Mobil DTE series.
Or ship it over here and I'll find the right oil for you :D

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/chart/lube.html