PDA

View Full Version : Obsolete Machine Manuals

uncle pete
04-28-2010, 12:29 PM
I thought I'd post this for anyone looking for out of print machine manuals. I recently ordered 3 manuals from www.ozarkwoodworker.com for my S/B shaper and Atlas horizontal mill. While a lot of this can be found on the net some of it prints out terrible. Ray's manuals are nice and clear. I'd definately order from him again.

Pete

MikeHenry
05-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Or one can always try the manufacturer direct. Clausing still sells manuals for the Clausing and Atlas lines of machine tools.

uncle pete
05-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Mike,
Thanks for that, I'll have to do some checking on this. The manuals I got as I said were good but who knows what Clausing has.

Pete

MikeHenry
05-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Last I heard was that Clausing charged $25 for Clausing machine tool manuals and as little as $5 for Atlas manuals (shaper and horizontal mills). Exclusive of shipping, of course.

macona
05-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Since South Bend, Clausing, Monarch, Logan, and so many other companies are still around this is actually copyright violation.

lazlo
05-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Even better, Clausing take the serial number of your machine, and prints the exact version for your particular machine.

For my Clausing 5914, there are no less than 10 different variants, with major changes in the vari-speed. It's well worth it to pay less money for the legal copy of the copyrighted manual, and get the correct version in the process...

uncle pete
05-09-2010, 05:28 AM
OK,OK,OK. LOL
You have all now shamed me into ordering the correct mauals from the OEM. Still, Great info. thanks guys.

Pete

chevy3755
05-09-2010, 09:34 AM
i also have purchased manuals from Ozarkwoodworker........very satisfied......would recommend......

rayrobertson
05-11-2010, 01:31 AM
I do offer manuals that the OEMs don't offer, and one will always know the quality of what they will get from me. Also a lot of the OEMs aren't really the original manufacturers of the machines.

Grizzly even contacted me to purchase South Bend manuals when they bought the information from LeBlond, and Grizzly doesn't offer an accessory manual or older editions of How to Run a Lathe. Dewalt, who is now responsible for Delta support, has stopped offering support for a lot of the really old Rockwell machines and don't even ask them about Walker Turner. Besides, I offer a lot of manuals that don't have anyone to contact for support e.g. Hendey, Reed Prentice, Nardini, Brown & Sharpe, Rivett, etc...

The manuals are something I do on the side to help other metal and woodworkers out. I just turned 59 and finished an addition to my shop, and I plan on playing with my tools even if I have to operate a lathe from a wheelchair. If you are interested in what I truly enjoy doing, you can check it out here:

http://www.ozarkwoodworker.com/duck-calls/

macona
05-11-2010, 05:26 AM
I dont have an issue with manuals that are not possible to get officially but you do offer manuals for Monarch which is still in existence in Sidney, OH, Logan (http://www.lathe.com/) and quite a few others on your page.

One huge problem is if someone gets a manual for a 10EE from you is there are many drive variations and outfits available for it. When you call up Scott at Monarch and give them the serial they will send you a manual with schematics for your specific machine. So it you have a MG, Wiad, Module, Regen, ELSR, CSS, whatever, you have the right manual. You also get a copy of the shipping info on your machine.

J. Randall
05-11-2010, 05:27 AM
Ray, have you got one for a Porter Cable toolroom lathe? Unsure of the yr, old 12" swing conehead, I have read somewhere they bought out Mulliner Enlund and just rebranded their lathe.
Thanks James

rayrobertson
05-11-2010, 10:00 AM
James,

I currently do not have any manuals for Porter Cable machinery. Do you believe that you have one of the old production lathes that they made around 1914?

I try to describe each manual as best as possible with pictures and diagrams. People also email me pictures of their machines. Some people have no clue what they have, and I help them figure it out. If I don't have a manual that covers their specific machine, I let them know. If they need parts, I try to help them find them if available. I kept telling people where to find official sources for manuals, and they kept insisting that they wanted one from me for many different reasons. Sometimes the official source just didn't have the exact manual they needed, sometimes they didn't like the quality, and sometimes they didn't like the price (Cincinnati charges about $150 per manual). There were many reasons, and I still get them to this day.

I had the manuals they wanted, and they wanted to get them from me. So I just stop arguing with them. It isn't a secret that there are these official sources, and I know that I'm no secret to them. I try to offer a quality product and service at the best price I can, and I treat others the way I want to be treated.

Rattrap
05-11-2010, 12:58 PM
James,
Sometimes the official source just didn't have the exact manual they needed, sometimes they didn't like the quality, and sometimes they didn't like the price (Cincinnati charges about $150 per manual). There were many reasons, and I still get them to this day.

Ray, I and others appreciate your efforts to help people obtain information on old machines. It bugs me that manufacturers won't release technical information that would help me troubleshoot a 25 year old CNC system. But, the quoted paragraph above points to the real issue. If you are providing copyrighted material, (and I don't know that you are) you are in violation of the copyright holder's rights and the law.

I've done freelance technical writing for nearly 20 years. I've had requests to publish on the Web small excerpts from books I've written and I didn't object as long as proper attribution was made. But, I would not be happy to find that someone was copying a complete work then selling it or giving it away. Just because a person might not like my publisher's price -that I didn't establish- doesn't make it okay to find a cheaper knock-off even if it is higher quality.

I am fully aware that with the explosion of the WWW, there is a rapidly growing attitude that all information should be free. I'm not against the free dissemination of publicly available information. Stealing or giving away the work of someone else is different.

I want to stress that I am making no accusation toward you at all. But you must be sure that you are working within the law, even if your customers don't care.

J. Randall
05-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Ray, I have no idea of the yr. on the Porter Cable. I have always guessed maybe late 20's or early 30's. At first glance a lot of people would take it for a Hendey, and it does have a lot of similarity's, thread chart is brass with raised lettering, has tapered phosphor bronze spindle bearings, and ring oiling. Have used it for yrs. without a manual, just always on the lookout for one. Thanks for the reply.
James

tyleryoungblood
06-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Hi guys, I just added an Atlas mill to my family and I'm looking for a good source for a manual/parts list/etc.

I don't want to buy from e-bay or some other black market source if I can help it. I checked the link mentioned above (lathe.com) but they don't seem to have any Atlas manuals in their manuals section.

Is there a legit place to purchase?

macona
06-09-2010, 02:09 AM
lathe.com is Logan lathe. The will not have an atlas manual.

randyjaco
06-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Hey J
Iam looking for an early Vernon 12" shaper manual. I don't need the Sheldon/Vernon version. Ihave searched everywhere. They seem to be non-existant.
Randyjaco

J. Randall
06-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Tyler, you might try Clausing for the Atlas manual, I think Atlas bought Clausing or maybe it was the other way around, anyway I think Clausing is still in business.
James

ENTERPRISE LATHE
07-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Does any one know where I can find a manual on a keller HD NO. 4 power hacksaw?

ENTERPRISE LATHE
07-19-2010, 08:14 AM
I have also bought 2 manuals from ray one was for my 16" HD cincinnati shaper the other was for my 17" delta milwaukee drill press both manuals were what I needed