PDA

View Full Version : Coin rings

Jack F
04-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Is anyone here into or know anyone making coin rings? This is the process where you take a silver coin, drill a hole in it then mount it on a tapered mandrel and fold the coin over on the mandrel using a soft mallet. Using this method you have obverse image of the coin on one side of the ring and the reverse image on the other side. My problem comes when I try and take the taper of the mandrel out of the ring. I have made a slip roller type double roller where I can place the ring on another mandrel, place this between the two rollers and roll the taper out to make ring flat. The trouble is this rolling between the two rollers takes all of the image out of the ring. The two rollers are steel and I have also made PVC sleeves to fit over the rollers but the PVC is too soft. I'm hoping someone here can give me some ideas. I am doing this project for someone who wants to make these rings and I thought I had this figured out. But you know what thought did!:eek:

Jack.

RKW
04-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Jack,

I think things will be a little easier if you/they do the hammering/folding of the ring first, then drill the hole. This way you can skip the mandrel part.

At least this is what worked for me when I tried it a couple of years ago out of curiosity. It was spur of the moment and I did not have any of the problems you described.

Keith

Jack F
04-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply. I think you are talking about lightly taping on the edge of the coin slowly spreading the edge of the ring to the desired width, then drilling. That method leaves the ring with no image on the outside and only the inside shows a image. With the method I was describing there is a image on the outside and inside of the ring hence the need of the hole and mandrel to start the shape. I have to leave the computer for now but will give you the website of the place that sells this type of ring when I get back. Thanks for the interest.:)

Jack.

snowman
04-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Use your tapered mandrel only to get it started. After it's formed the taper, switch to a straight mandrel and anneal lots.

dp
04-28-2010, 04:38 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/johnhuber/CoinRing/PhotoAlbum20.html

What do you do with them when they're finished?

Your Old Dog
04-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Do not drill the coin until you roll the edge. Roll the edge by repeatedly hitting the edge with a kitchen soup spoon and hold the coin between your thumb and index finger rolling it as you tap on it with the spoon. If you don't try to do it all in too big a hurry, you will be able to read the date and other writing along the edge. Then drill out the center and dress down with files and sandpapers. When done, they look like silver wedding ring. Mine came out flawless but I lost it somewhere over the years.

Thruthefence
04-28-2010, 06:50 PM
the kids used to do this back in Jr High- during the lunch break it sounded like a a bunch of woodpeckers.

Jack F
04-28-2010, 07:00 PM
DP,

If I make any myself they will be for me and the Mrs. The fellow that wants me to help him wants to sell them.

snowman,

Anneal, hadn't thought of that. Didn't think silver needed to be annealed. Will the coins still need to be rolled to make them perfectly round?

YOD,

That's not the style I want to make. That method of doing it makes the outside of the ring smooth with no image, the image is only on the inside.

Go to this site to see what I am trying to achieve.

www.etsy.com/shop/SpiritualFlyer

Jack.

uncrichie
04-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Way back and I mean way back in high school my metal shop teacher would prep the coins for us. We didn't drill them. He would place the coin flat on a metal table and use a small tip on a torch (oxy acet) and hit the middle of the coin. When the very center of the quarter melted the pressure of the flame gasses would create a hole in the center. As soon as it happened he would remove the flame. This is critcal, too long and the melt would go through an edge and ruin it. This was the best method going, there was no waste of the coin from drilling. Uncrichie.

Your Old Dog
04-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks Jack, that was much nicer then the ones we made. I'll be watching the thread as I gotta learn that technique.

edited: found it on the guys website: http://www.spiritualflyer.com/Sales.html

dp
04-28-2010, 08:15 PM
DP,

If I make any myself they will be for me and the Mrs. The fellow that wants me to help him wants to sell them.

Would they be worn on a chain or something so the coining can be seen? Worn as a ring it just looks like any silver ring.

Jack F
04-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi DP,

Go to the site I posted, it shows instead of just a shiny ring there is a image on the outside as well as on the inside of the ring. I will take snowmans suggestion to anneal the coin and try it tomorrow.

Jack.

dp
04-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Hi DP,

Go to the site I posted, it shows instead of just a shiny ring there is a image on the outside as well as on the inside of the ring. I will take snowmans suggestion to anneal the coin and try it tomorrow.

Jack.

Ah - that makes much more sense. Thanks - we're slow here in Bellevue :)

paulsv
04-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Jack-

I'm wondering if you could take the taper out by reversing the ring on the tapered mandrel and then bumping it flat with a plastic faced hammer? Alternately, could you use a stepped ring mandrel like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Grobet-STEPPED-RING-MANDREL/dp/B000HWNSUU

I'm also wondering how you could adjust the sizing of the ring.

Jack F
04-29-2010, 10:14 AM
paulsv,

Have tried both methods. I tried reversing the ring on the tapered mandrel and made a stepped mandrel. The trouble I have is the ring doesn't flatten perfectly round. I think snowman has a good idea, to anneal the ring, and I will try that today.

Good responses all.:cool:

Jack.

Mike Burdick
04-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Jack,

Just a thought...

Perhaps you could write up an article on how you finally make them and send it to HMS for publication. I would imagine everyone that reads it will try it! Come to think of it....HMS should start a feature in their publication called "Machining Fun" for articles like this!

old-biker-uk
04-29-2010, 02:27 PM
In another life I whiled away many boring watch hours in a submarine engine room (no-one can hear you with two deltic diesels pounding away) tapping at the edge of US (silver) quarters with a spoon (tea spoon 'borrowed' from the wardroom was best). Cut out the centre when the rim was turned over.
Mark

Jack F
04-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Mark,

Have seen that method but doesn't give the results I (we) are looking for. Go to the site below to see the type of ring desired.

Mike,

If I ever get this figured out I may just try that. I have several friends who have done just that.:)

www.etsy.com/shop/SpiritualFlyer

Jack.

topct
04-29-2010, 05:00 PM
When you are hammering a ring on a tapered mandrel you should not shove the ring onto the mandrel until it is tight. Loose is best, so that you can turn the ring as you hammer it, and turn it around after every rotation.

It takes practice to keep or make them round.

Patience is the key to get the touch, the more you do it the better you will get.

mochinist
04-29-2010, 05:01 PM
I dont really see why anyone would want to wear one of these, but thats just my opinion:p anyways I showed the hammered style to my two boys and it kept them busy last night beating on some coins out on the back porch till I made them stop so they could shower and get ready for bed.:)

Jack F
04-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Topct,

I have been pushing the ring tight on the mandrel but turning the mandrel after every hit. I tried snowmans method of annealing. It worked better on the clad coin than the silver coin. I over did the annealing on the silver coin and one portion melted some. Both coins I had already tried to flatten before annealing, with the steel rollers, so they were already somewhat deformed. The guy who got me started on this is coming over tomorrow with his own silver coins and we will anneal them first before doing any hammering or rolling. Will let you know how it goes.

Jack.

paulsv
05-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Topct,

I have been pushing the ring tight on the mandrel but turning the mandrel after every hit. I tried snowmans method of annealing. It worked better on the clad coin than the silver coin. I over did the annealing on the silver coin and one portion melted some. Both coins I had already tried to flatten before annealing, with the steel rollers, so they were already somewhat deformed. The guy who got me started on this is coming over tomorrow with his own silver coins and we will anneal them first before doing any hammering or rolling. Will let you know how it goes.

Jack- Any progress to report? I'd love to hear about it!

Paul

Jack F
05-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi Topct,

Made a new slower tapered mandrel and tried a new ring. The slower taper seems to allow me to get a tighter grip on the ring which holds the ring in one place and allows me to fold the ring over better (with many light taps of my leather headed hammer) and keep the ring round. I then reverse the ring on the mandrel and tap it some more to get the taper out of the ring. The problem now is because of the slower taper I can't get all of the taper out. At this point I am not using the roller set up as I have not been able to keep the ring in one place on the mandrel (hence, does not stay round). Also, trying to get some pics but my macro feature seems to be on the fritz. Will let you know further progress as it happens.

Jack.

topct
05-03-2010, 02:34 PM
If you are having a problem with getting the taper out one of the stepped mandrels like mentioned above might help. It would not be hard to turn one.

Don't be discouraged at your first attempts. I haven't really done this in quite awhile, but I do remember it took a few tries before I could get a ring round and without a taper in it. And then have it fit.

Also, keep it in mind to anneal frequently. I used a regular propane torch to anneal. It won't get hot enough to melt silver.

paulsv
05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
This inexpensive tool might be of help in taking out the taper:

http://www.contenti.com/products/ring-tools/394-500.html

Jack F
05-05-2010, 12:10 PM
paulsv,

Thanks for the link. That is a good way to enlarge the ring size without causing damage to the image on the inside of the ring. Tight wad that I am I think I will make one of those.:rolleyes:

topct,

Am getting better at taking the taper out and getting the ring round using the step mandrels and tapered mandrel . Still trying to get my roller tool to work to make the ring perfect.

Jack.

Mike Burdick
05-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Jack,

Let's look at this in a different way... How about a press?

For the press, use two slightly tapered slugs with a hole thru the center. Put these on a finely threaded bolt so the nuts can be drawn up to press the shape of the ring from both ends. This way, the ring itself doesn't need to be held in any way and therefore won't mar or misshape. You can make these slugs in various diameters to work your way up to the final size. Put a little grease on the slugs so they will come out of the ring easier.

Jack F
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Mike,

Another idea I hadn't thought of. Will keep this one on the burner.

Thanks,
Jack.