PDA

View Full Version : Parting Spindle HP / Rigidity

snowman
04-29-2010, 01:51 PM
I need to part through 3/4" Diameter CRS with a 1/4" drill in it. This is a custom job that will repeat itself. I am considering setting up an old mini lathe headstock with something resembling more a turret lathe than a mini lathe.

Note that the only part of the mini lathe that will be used is the headstock, which will have a direct belt drive to a 1 Hp Baldor DC drive motor. The actual bed is a piece of 4x6" square tubing, 1/4" wall, with a 1/2 thick x 3" wide piece of steel welded to the length and milled flat. On that is a THK slide, with a dovetail cross slide (custom milled from CRS, expected to be expendable over time)

I am concerned about the rigidity of the setup, though I'm not sure I need to be. I'd love a heftier headstock, but I'm putting this crap together with what I have, not what I'd like.

Boucher
04-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Just a reminder a bandsaw, chop saw, cold saw are better cuttoff tools. Depends on accuracy and finish requirred. After buying a good Kennametal parting tool I use the lathe more often but it still runs a second to the others mentioned. A cold saw is nearing the top of my want list. Trying to make a parting machine from lightweight components sounds like an exercise in frustration.

Carld
04-29-2010, 03:50 PM
I am going to assume your not parting it off with a 1/4" drill bit in the hole as that would not be nice to see.:eek:

I think what your proposing will be strong enough but a cutoff tool is no more accurate than an abrasive chop saw and it's easier and faster to use. You can set a stop to part the tube off to the length you need.

You may also be able to buy DOM tubing the size you are making.

snowman
04-29-2010, 04:06 PM
You may also be able to buy DOM tubing the size you are making.
You can, but the drill is 1 of 8 steps to this little piece. Chopsaw just isn't an option, as I'm tryin to set this up as a barfeed operation.

Black_Moons
04-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Ok install a bandsaw on your lathe. :)

That'd be pertty awsome actualy...

Do it. Install a 4x6 with CNC hydrolic downfeed mod onto your lathe! it will be awsome! you know it will.

Hell, even a port-a-band would be big enough for lathe work.

snowman
04-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Thought about it (I really did).

I do have another project right now that I am considering installing a automatic drill press on my bandsaw.

lakeside53
04-29-2010, 10:16 PM
I'll admit to occassionally using a portaband on my lathe:o

Carld
04-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Snowman, if your setting up that make shift lathe to just part off the pieces why won't a chop saw do the same thing? Your not going to have an automatic process with the make shift lathe and a bar feed.

Also, why can't you eliminate drilling the 1/4" hole by using DOM and still do the other operations? Drilling a hole is not a fast operation in a lathe and I always like to start with DOM if I can get the right sizes of OD and hole. Even a close size hole and drilling or reaming to size is faster that starting with a solid bar.

brozier
04-30-2010, 06:26 AM
Does the Mini-lathe headstock have taper-roller bearings in it?
Apparently it transforms parting.

Also look at a substantial rear-tool post to hold the parting blade upside down - it's made a big difference on my Myford....

Cheers
Bryan