PDA

View Full Version : New toy! Plus a call for cnc help

sconisbee
04-29-2010, 02:20 PM
So I picked up a new toy today, a boxford ACL in fantastic condition, everything works including the old controller for now.

Only trouble is I dont really know where to start, i have the programming manual for the machine but its far from rock bottom simple.

So where/how is the best way to start out in 2 axis cnc on a lathe? (no tool changer so far if that helps)

Pics of the toy to follow

Liger Zero
04-29-2010, 02:32 PM
In addition to this forum there are folks on Practical Machinist in the CNC forum that might have specific programming experience on your machine.

Someone over there answered a bunch of questions about my Bridgeport Boss CNC With Automatic Tool Dropper (:D) and helped me write my first couple of programs.

I got the hang of it now. If you were good at those X-Y geometry things on graphpaper in school (moving and translating a geometric figure on a graph and all that) you'll pick it up quick. It's all coordinate geometry.

Tell you one thing if I had one of these to play with back in High School math would have been a lot more fun. Now I can actually see the results rather than have an abstract answer that means something only to the Regents board.

One tip, don't get bold and try to rapid the table with the spindle in position and try a flying leap over the work-piece. No damage except to the part I was milling. That's one advantage plastic has over metal.

That said, someone with way more experience will be along shortly to help out... meanwhile we have some CNC-specific forums and content on here as well, below the GENERAL forum.

sconisbee
04-29-2010, 02:45 PM
:o Doh! i do have to admit i keep on forgetting that this place has a cnc forum, and i completely forgot about PM, i havent been over there in a while.

Liger Zero
04-29-2010, 02:57 PM
:o Doh! i do have to admit i keep on forgetting that this place has a cnc forum, and i completely forgot about PM, i havent been over there in a while.

They can be a bit prickly at times but they are a good source of information.

Together both sites are a vast pool of machining information, for any skill level.

sconisbee
04-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Just need Sir John to swing by this thread he must have come across these little beasts before shame hes so far away in actual life!

Robin R
04-29-2010, 03:46 PM
It's probably worth having a look on "CNC Zone", they seem to have forums for just about everything. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/index.php