PDA

View Full Version : Face Milling

JasonW
02-25-2002, 02:19 PM
Face milling question.Have a few tasks to do on my RF-45, that involve face milling. I have one of those cheapy 3 pc fly cutter sets. I assume this uses a lathe type tooling, cut for the R to L direction?

I also have a 3 " face mill cutter on an R8 arbor. It uses 4 square lathe type tooling bits, mounted in the vertical direction (perpendicular to the table). What type of cut/profile would one have to put on the cutters for this?? Each cutter is attached using two M6 bolts.

Which is the better type of system to use for face milling?

------------------

bspooh
02-25-2002, 09:26 PM
It depends on what you are face milling...I don't know what your project is so bear with me....If you are doing brass, then your profile should have a negative rake...If your doing steel then you should have a positive rake (including stainless steel)...If you are doing aluminum, then you should have a very high positive rake...If you are using one of your 3-piece fly cutters, then mount a left hand tool ground with a 15 to 32 thou. radius at the tip, this radius will provide strength, faster cutting speed, and a better finish...Do not sharpen the bit to a point...Always have a radius or chamfer ground at the tip to provide strength...

more cutting edges mean more chatter...I would stick to the one cutter fly cutter instead of the one that holds 4 tools...your feedrate will be slower, but you should chatter less...if speed is everything, then go with the four.....Your RPM's will be the same no matter how many cutting edges you have...Your feedrate is relative to how many cutting edges you have...

brent

Thrud
02-26-2002, 01:09 AM
Brent is right, but I would still use the face mill - it will do a better job. Experiment on some scrap and see what you prefer. I like face mills only because they are balanced better and I hate flycutters. They squirm too much and it is hard to hold their tiny legs still....

Dave

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 02-26-2002).]

lynnl
02-26-2002, 09:32 AM
Speaking of flies... Thrud's comments about their tiny legs reminded me of an experience I had while stationed at Barksdale AFB several years ago on a hot, humid Louisiana afternoon.
I was using my table saw in my garage, ripping a board, with the saw blade running full power, when a fly (common housefly) flew in and alighted right smack on the top of the saw blade. Naturally I was flabbergasted so stopped pushing the board and just watched for a minute or so. He/She (not sure which) proceeded to just walk around on the spinning blade. Once or twice he/she would fly up and then return to land on the blade. After a few minutes I turned off the saw to see what'd happen. As the blade slowed, eventually the teeth seemed to catch the fly and flung him/her off. So I returned to my ripping task. Well guess what, in a few minutes the same thing happened. Here he/she came again, and again landed on the spinning blade. (Must'a been the same fly 'cause now it had a tiny little bandaid on one of its ankles!). To condense the story, this activity repeated several times thru the afternoon. But I've never seen it since. I know it sounds like a lie, but I swear it's true! (Except of course the bit about the bandaid - that could've been a different fly entirely, and the injury unrelated to the saw blade encounter!)

I assume the fly (or flies) was attracted by the vibrations or some particulary sound frequency emitted by the blade. I could see that he actually was walking on a cushion of air on the periphery of the blade.

Well, I just thought I'd share that. I apologize for wasting the disk storage space and all the readers' time.

Thrud
02-27-2002, 02:48 AM
lynnl:
Hard drives are cheaper than good dirt - don't sweat it!

Did you know some guy from The Lawrence Livermore Labs invented a safety table saw device to prevent injury? At wood shows they would put a warm weiner on the table and move it into the blade - as soon as the blade touched it, it stops instantly! It will only stop if flesh touches it. And your wiener has only minor nick in it - so you can still use it. I do not know how this guy figured this out, but when saws start coming out with this feature it is expected to only add $50 to the final price. Apparently it cannot be retrofitted. (read in Fine Woodworking)

Dave

Andrew
02-27-2002, 07:47 PM
thrud, being a woodworker i have been following the device, called the saw stop, and it's actually going to add about $500. still, for a commercial shop, that could save a lot of money on insurance, and my fingers are worth more than $500 to me

Thrud
02-28-2002, 01:20 AM
Andrew,

Boy, that went up since I last read about it! I agree, it is a small price to pay to keep all your digits around such an unforgiving machine.

Dave

lynnl
02-28-2002, 10:45 AM
Dave,
I'm a long time subscriber to FW, but I must've missed that. That is fascinating! I would imagine once that reaches the ears of OSHA (does Canada have a similar agency?), then it'll be mandated on every cutting machine.
I'd expected you to question why I was operating the saw without a blade guard in the first place. I've had 3 or 4 tablesaws and always remove the things, feeling that all the added fiddling and fussing and associated distraction would greatly outweigh the safety benefit of the guard. Plus having that uncovered blade fosters an increased safety awareness, and judicious use of push sticks. Somewhat analogous to a rural mail carrier in Montana I once read of who always removed the heaters from his vehicles to insure that he adequate dress and cold Wx gear to survive in case he became snowbound. It all boils down to the fact the most important safety feature is between our ears. Tho if available at low cost and not cumbersome I too would opt for that saw blade feature.

lynnl
02-28-2002, 10:47 AM
One additional thought: I don't care how well designed and tested that saw blade device is, I'm still not gonna stick my wiener up there to try it out!

metal mite
02-28-2002, 08:22 PM
lynnl,
what you talkin about?
metal

snorman
02-28-2002, 09:43 PM
Are we back to attracting flies now?

Thrud
03-01-2002, 03:37 AM
Lynn

Table saws are pretty tough to get full use of with those totally lousy guards they make for them - that is why the "Saw Stop" is such a great safety idea. Glad to hear you use Push sticks - an excellent idea and should always be used. Table saws and routers get total respect from this hoser.

We don't have an OSHA, we have Health & Welfare Canada - they give morons a bad name. We had this knob spraying laquer next door - I would come to work and was stoned in 30 minutes. I called them and they told me they had no standards or regulations regarding "spray painting". The only way anything got done about it was when a Fire Marshall strolled in to inspect our warehouse and asked why I had "open aromatic hydrocarbons" in the place. Told him it was fumes from next door. They went next door and the doofus was spraying laquer with no spray booth, no exhaust, no make-up air, no repirator, and an open & operating overhead natural gas heater right above him! He was given a summons but it took three more inspection trips to actually shut the twit down. The goof bugged out the night they shut him down the last time.

Everyone

If you really must date (read: attract) flies, I hear a dab of pig manure behind each ear will make you extra sexy to them...

Dave