PDA

View Full Version : Tool post is on

Tony Ennis
04-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Finally got the tool post on. I chucked the Impervium nut and made another from bar stock. Cut it to width using a hacksaw. The width was constant (to the thou) for the first inch, then deviated by 10 thou by the time I got the full 2.75". I bored a hole in it for a carriage bolt, squared the hole to accept the carriage bolt's shoulders, and filed the head down so it fit into the compound. Knocked all the corners off and called it a fine day.

Actually, I was just happy I didn't cut a finger off.

Dug in the previous owner's toolbox for a cutting tool (its geometry is egregious!) and took a 5' shaving off a sacrificial aluminum VCR part.

Linky of the tool post and recent electrical work (http://tony-stormcrow.blogspot.com/2010/04/power-and-new-toolpost-for-lathe.html). Boring indeed but it made me happy.

garagemark
04-30-2010, 11:19 AM
You gonna like yer new tool post. But!.... you will NEVER have enough tool holders now! Get used to it.

This much I know.

MArk

vpt
04-30-2010, 11:32 AM
You gonna like yer new tool post. But!.... you will NEVER have enough tool holders now! Get used to it.

This much I know.

MArk

Very correct! I see pictures all the time where guys have 20+ tool holders by their lathe.

I have only built two tool holders so far and have been changing out tool bits all the time. I need to build more. :D