PDA

View Full Version : New member needs help on instruction

GBertolet
05-04-2010, 06:33 PM
I am new to this forum and the machinist world. I just purchased two pieces of equiptment. A Rockwell 10X36 lathe and a Select Machine Tool model OB Mill/Drill machine. Both are in decent shape and came with a fair amount of tooling. My main use will be for hobbiest and personal gunsmithing. Can anyone recommend any DVD or VHS instruction videos on operation and performance of common tasks with these type of machines? I learn better watching actual use rather than reading instructions. Any info would be appreciated.

Bill Pace
05-04-2010, 06:52 PM
This site has some good & some bad videos, the price is pretty good (many at $10) - read thru their metalworking offerings and see if it seems to fit your needs.

http://smartflix.com/

By the way --- welcome to the nut ward (machine nuts;))

miker
05-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Try these.

http://techtv.mit.edu/search?q=machine+shop&x=0&y=0

rgds

Ken_Shea
05-04-2010, 07:39 PM
These are excellent basic videos from GMT, an advertiser, top of page.

http://www.glacern.com/videolounge

Oldbrock
05-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Where are you? Maybe there is someone close to you on this forum that can come and give some hands on help. Helps to know your location so someone can point you in the right direction. Maybe there is a machinist in your locale you can visit and watch how it's done. Watching how it's done first hand and asking questions will help better than a video. Peter

Dr Stan
05-04-2010, 08:42 PM
The MIT videos are not bad, but very short.

You can also search YouTube and find a number of machining videos.

I recommend contacting your local community college or vo-tech to see if they offer any instruction.

BTW, welcome to the insane asylum. I and many others suffer from OIS (Old Iron Syndrome) :D

hornluv
05-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Check with your local community college as well to see if they offer any machining classes. Then you'll have access to more machines as well.

Edit: Dr. Stan and I think alike, but he types faster.

rmancini
05-04-2010, 08:47 PM
As far as the lathe, you may get some good info here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RockwellLathe/

The folks there helped me out a lot on my 11 x 36.
Rich

Boucher
05-04-2010, 09:26 PM
There are some videos avaliable from our hosts publishing co. The best videos that I have seen are from Darrell Holland and AGI (American Gunsmith Institute) They are not cheap to purchase but they are a good value. I attended the gunsmithing summer shortcourse at the college in Trinidad, CO. This and others around the country are in conjunction with the NRA and will be coming up this summer. The travel, lodging, and tution costs add up so it is also a little expensive overall for the amount that you get. I sort of looked at it as my vacation for the year. If you purchase the videos you can review them at any time. There are also gunsmithing videos from AGI and Bay Com that deal with specific gunsmithing tasks. The Gunsmithing book by Hinnant is one you probably want to buy. It contains a number of gunsmithing tools that you can make. Making chips is the way you learn to be a machinist. Making these simple tools it is not a bigdeal if you make a mistake and have to re do something.

Good luck and Welcome aboard

JoeFin
05-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Have you thought about Books

"The Complete Practical Machinist" is by far still my favorite. Written some time around the turn of the 18th century it is any thing but "dry" information. The author goes into great detail to describe (in perfect "Queen"s English") just how the chip should come off the tooling and even what color it should be. Much of the machining back then was done by the seat of the pants as they didn't have all the modern tooling and "Hi-Tech alloys we have today.

If any thing the author teaches you the feel of the machining - some thing a dry technical study doesn't

BTW: Welcome to the insane asylum - you can check in but you can never check out