PDA

View Full Version : Kurt power drawbar test drive

Boucher
05-04-2010, 09:39 PM
When I inquired about peoples experience with the Kurt power drawbar, one person responded saying that it was second only to a DRO in use full Mill upgrades. I now agree. The initial use was not without a few bumps in the road. Early on the Quill lock was not strong enough to hold the quill up for disengagement. The combination of new collets and new drawbar threads required the use of some anti-seize. After a little break-in things are working much better. Shoulder problems and the pain associated with raising my arm was the motivator to spend 30% of my mills cost on an accessory. Being retired and this shop being my hobby my time is not a factor. In a commercial situation where time is money cost can be somewhat offset by increased production.

I consider this to be a real asset and a pleasure to use.

davidh
05-04-2010, 09:44 PM
my old arms still seem to work pretty good so i have adapted a 1/4" air ratchet and a 3/4" socket. actually it works too good and gets the drawbar too tight if your not gentle with it.

you are right, an assist of this type is really a great addition to a mill.

Black_Moons
05-04-2010, 10:07 PM
david: try using an air regulator set to lower pressure to prevent it getting too tight.
Or, an skinny extention will act as a torsion spring and lower the peak impact torque