PDA

View Full Version : Another Atlas Bearing question

3t-
05-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Ok,

Thanks to George and Pete I am set with bearing #s and some arbor resources.

I've got all my bits and pieces cleaned and sorted out ready to put back together. Picking up the new bearings in the A.M.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/tthurin/machines/1273012036429.jpg

Now a question on the bearing set up for this mill. The head is bored for the race/bearing and uses tapered roller bearings. There is also an oiler hole that seeps oil onto the bearing race.

What type of grease and how much to pack the bearing with if oil is going to also be used through the oilers. Does this oil have any bearing:rolleyes: on the greasing of the bearings?

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/tthurin/machines/1273012106086.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/tthurin/machines/1273012093694.jpg

NiftyNev
05-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I have a small Hercus vertical/horizontal mill also with tapered bearings and there is no grease used in the bearings, just oil. Probably the same for the Atlas.

Nev

J Tiers
05-06-2010, 12:44 AM
I see oil cups... NEVER grease if you will use oil...... and oil cups mean they intended oil, just as with the lathes.

gzig5
05-06-2010, 01:03 AM
Use a medium wieght spindle oil in the cups. Fill the cups each time you use the lathe. It is a total loss system so it will all flow out eventually and you have to regularly replentish, same for the rest of the oil port/cups. If you can't find it locally, non-detergent 30SAE motor oil is a reasonable substitute. Do a search on here, there are lots of info on oils.

3t-
05-06-2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks folks, I appreciate the info. So if I have this correct the new bearings should either be seated without grease and oil should be used at each use. OR grease pack the bearings and then do not add oil at each use.

These are your basic timkin tapered roller bearings that are going in the mill. Is one option better than the other.

Edit: The oil cups are pretty small and are open with no felt or other material to hold any of the oil for slow seep onto the bearings. They are basically just openings approx. 3/16" or so and go directly onto the outside of the race.

gzig5
05-06-2010, 08:41 AM
I've never seen anyone use grease in the spindle bearings and that is not what is called for in the manual. Not that it can't be done, but you are on your own. To slow down the flow of oil into the bearing, most put a piece of felt or towel in the bottom of the oil cup.

George Seal
05-06-2010, 08:46 AM
3t

those bearings run in a oil bath. The bearing shields are pressed in (one on each side of bearing) and they will hold just enough oil to cover the bottom of the races. The shield with the slot cut out goes to the outside and aligns with oil cup. If not put in correctly they will choke off the oil cups.

As mentioned before reoil prior to use each time

3t-
05-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks again.

My concern is that when the outer race is pressed into the casting it completely covers the oil hole visible in the bottom photo. The rear bearing is set up the same. Judging by the force needed to remove the old outer races from the casting this does not leave much opportunity for the oil to seep into the cage and roller area of the bearing. I admit I know little about bearings but will the oil actually make it to the place it needs to be?