PDA

View Full Version : OT: New shipping times?

wierdscience
05-04-2010, 11:51 PM
Has anyone else noticed longer shipping times for everything?I don't mean once UPS or FEdex has the item,but the time it takes for the vendor to actually give it to them?

I wonder with the crappy economy just how many vendors are now glorified catalog stores.Used to most things would ship within 24-48 hours.Not anymore.

I got cold rolled I ordered last week,they claim it's in stock,my card has been tapped,but four (working) days later it hasn't shipped.

Ordered a new pair of boots,also in stock,also tapped my card, three days they haven't shipped.

This stuff has been going on for months and not just two or three vendors.The only ones so far that have kept up the pace are McMaster and one PT vendor.

It's pretty bad when half the day at work is spent calling to find out when something may actually ship and then going home at night and having to do the same for my own stuff.

Tinkerer
05-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Well it is the crappy economy one way or the other. As orders slow down so have the number of pick-up days. No need to be charged an added fuel charge to pick-up a few packages every day... so then it goes to every other day or once a week.

It'll show up just not the next day... unless you paid express delivery.

macona
05-05-2010, 12:45 AM
havnt noticed anything here.

Arthur.Marks
05-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Consumer stuff, absolutely yes.

MickeyD
What I have been seeing is that manufacturing has come back to life but materials are lagging and many things are in short supply.

Ken_Shea
Also add the fact that many are cutting employees to cut expenses, what's left are trying taking up the slack and failing, consequently, orders backed up.

Farbmeister
05-05-2010, 05:18 AM
Everything I have ordered in the last few weeks (I live in PA and have ordered from IL, OR, FL and RI) all have shown up within a week... using a mix of UPS and USPS.

Your Old Dog
05-05-2010, 06:50 AM
I"ve just made a flurry of purchases and everything was received in a few days. I can't say I've noticed any reduction in service over 5 purchases in past 3 weeks.

davidh
05-05-2010, 08:14 AM
in many places inventories are way down. a business necessity in these uncertain times. the "food chain" will graduallly fill back up again but i don't think it will be soon nor as full as it once was. tighter and better control has been the norm. . .
davidh

wierdscience
05-05-2010, 09:47 AM
I understand back orders and slack inventories,but lately product has been sitting on the counter and not getting shipped.That is of course unless they are lying about the item being instock.

These aren't Mom and Pop companies either.One company I called twice over three days basically had a don't give a s--- attitude.

Hell it's hard to even get a quote out of some of them.Time to clean out my vendors list again.

m squared
05-05-2010, 02:22 PM
whenever possible I buy local. I figure I may pay a bit more, but it keeps the local suppliers in business and I have a couple close by that I can get 95% of what I want, when I want it, usually cut to size.

J Tiers
05-06-2010, 01:40 AM
We order a lot from McMaster, Digi-key, and some places like U-Line, etc.....

EVERY ONE OF THEM ships the same day..... no fuss. We get McMaster in 24 hours UPS ground if it is in Indiana..... Cleveland takes an extra day.

U-Line shipped within 2 hours of an AM order... they better, for what they charged as shipping...... might be our last order from them......

Your Old Dog
05-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Breaking News!
this just in....

Just received an order from Enco that took 3 days UPS

Ken_Shea
05-06-2010, 09:18 AM
. Just received an order from Enco that took 3 days UPS

Yep, that's what the OP was talking about, they usually arrive next day here :D

krutch
05-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Most of what I purchase gets here in three days or less. That said, there are the exceptions. Any thing that ships fedx always takes five days or more. Even if from it comes from the next town! Fedx somehow can't find me, though they've been here before. Seems as though they sit on the package for a few days. And their tracking system sucks. I have better luck with UPS, and their tracking is always updated every day. Fedx had a package in their system and it sat in Calif. for four days! When it cleared the original pick up point, they posted it left before it was in their possession!? A lot of my orders are from MSC and are nearly always next day from Elkhart, Ind. MetalXpress seems to have eliminated their Rockford local and material now takes about a week. Which makes MSC more attractive as to material.
Just my experiance.

kc5ezc
05-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Ordered from Wholesale Tool in Tulsa at 3pm and got it the next day at 11am. I am about 120 miles from WT and in the country. Then I ordered from another vendor (lawnmower parts) and they said they would ship in 4-8 days, but the item was in stock. UPS was quick after the wieners got it shipped. Sounds like they did not have the item.
MSC and Wholesale Tool have been great. Others less so.

Your Old Dog
05-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Yep, that's what the OP was talking about, they usually arrive next day here :D

I read it again...........
Hey yea, your right! I'm getting screwed and didn't even know it!

wierdscience
05-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Stop yelling,I can hear you out my window!:D