PDA

View Full Version : Volstro rotary head

form_change
05-05-2010, 06:00 PM
I saw a picture of a Volstro rotary head the other day in a book. It looks an interesting bit of kit which could chew up all sorts of time in the shed while you tried it out. I haven't got one but for those who have how is power transferred between the main spindle and the other spindle? It strikes me as the sort of thing that could be done a number of ways. Some pictures show toothed belts while I can think of doing something like this with gears as well. If anyone has a manual/ parts book with good internal pictures I wouldn't mind a copy.

Thanks,
Michael

lazlo
05-05-2010, 06:35 PM
The Volstro mounts on the quill and is driven by the spindle.

The toothed belt is for the auto feed.

Toolguy
05-05-2010, 07:27 PM
I have logged quite a few hours on these years ago. They are a very nice piece of equipment. It makes a regular B'port into a die mill. The trick to doing accurate work with them is in fine tuning the setup of the Volstro head before you start cutting.

w_hartung
05-05-2010, 08:19 PM
There's a splined shaft (think drill press) in the cross-slide, w/ right-angle bevel gears at each end. I have a manual for it, I can email if you want.

LES A W HARRIS
05-06-2010, 12:44 AM
... If anyone has a manual/ parts book with good internal pictures I wouldn't mind a copy.

Thanks,
Michael

VOLSTRO DATA:

Click on the link then, the Blue Download button on the left of screen will open the PDF file, if you like it; save as...

MANUAL:
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/1897111/volstro-iii-rotary-milling-head-manual-pdf-may-5-2010-8-25-pm-184k

BROCHURE:
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/1897112/volstro-rotary-milling-head-brochure-pdf-may-5-2010-8-25-pm-1-3-meg

Cheers,

LES A W HARRIS
05-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Links worked, in pre NC~CNC days, 1st couple of new gearboxes & covers had wandering O-Ring grooves milled in by this method.
Max collet shank 3/8" dia, when using stepped dia end-mills, let it cut don't crowd it.

Defiantly kept the mind active.

Cheers,

BadDog
05-06-2010, 01:01 AM
I have had a Volstro Rotary Head for several years now, got it right after the mill. Used it maybe a dozen times at most, but very handy when needed, and the alternative would have taken much longer and been far less of what I would call "fun".

I now have a Troyke 12" cross slide rotary table. This will do everything the Volstro will do and more. I can mount larger pieces, have more travel, and use native tooling in the spindle to take much heavier cuts. The only thing I loose if power travel, which I never got around to anyway (and something could be rigged if needed). It's also heavier to get onto the table, but MUCH less fiddly to setup. I'm thinking I may sell the Volstro...

form_change
05-06-2010, 05:01 AM
Thanks to all those that replied, and thanks to those who have offered manuals (Les and W-Hartung). It looks to be reasonably simple construction for such a versatile device.

Michael