PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton Lathes, need info

Spin Doctor
05-06-2010, 05:45 PM
I need information on a rather unusual lathe built by Hamilton in Ohio first half of the 20thC. And I don't mean the Hamilton combo lathe/mill

http://www.lathes.co.uk/hamilton/

Anybody out there have one? Run one? Seen one?

knedvecki
05-07-2010, 06:23 PM
I have one that spins 22 inch diameter X 96 inch length. I believe it was made sometime around 1890. GOOD lathe! Will hold better than .0004 tolerance. As for cutting threads, it repeats anywhere I hit the thread dial. Flat belt drive, with a 3 hp reverse-repulsion single-phase motor to drive it up to about 700 rpm. I use it mostly with a three-jaw Bison chuck.

Regards,

Keith

Spin Doctor
05-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Does yours have any gearing like this

http://www.lathes.co.uk/hamilton/page4.html

Not the gears on the back end but the bevel gears on the bed

Hamilton
05-07-2010, 09:58 PM
I own a similar lathe. I have posted seeking info on a few different forums and came up empty. The best advice info i did recieve was plain and simple. To learn how to operate it? Get some stock and start making stuff. And this was another good one. What good is a parts catalog ? Anything breaks that is not common or somewhat universal such as belts , motors, tool holders you will have to build the part yourself. I have made some simple projects. Pins, bushings drilled bolts for grease zerks. I have not cut any threads yet. So good luck with your lathe. My hamilton so far has proven to be bullet proof for my needs and evryone that sees this lathe scratches their heads and asks "what the hell is that". The old stuff is cool. :eek:

knedvecki
05-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Mine looks exactly like the " 16" x 72" Hamilton Type B lathe" shown in the first website that you posted, but bigger, and yes it is pretty much "Bullet-proof". The biggest part that I have machined on mine was the buttress threads on a 12 inch diameter X 94 inch long hydraulic cylinder from an old crane. I have made extra tooling for mine.

Regards, Keith