PDA

View Full Version : Leblond apron oil

Gary Reif
05-06-2010, 09:59 PM
We just installed a Lablond Regal Servo shift in our maintenance shop. It was brought in from another plant and have been going through the cleanup checkover process before putting it in service. We filled the apron with oil to the center of the sight glass and had a major oil leak. After checking things(the owners manual) realized that it calls for 1/2 qt. of oil. So we drained the gearbox and had more then 1/2 qt. After installing the called for amount it comes nowhere near the sight glass. Am I missing something here or is it possible we have a problem with gearbox?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Gary

Dr Stan
05-06-2010, 10:04 PM
It's been quite awhile since I ran a LeBlond, but could this be a flow type sight gage rather than an oil level gage similar to those on many headstocks?

mister honey
05-07-2010, 08:54 PM
IIRC, there are no seals on the length feed handwheel shaft; don't recall about the other apron shafts.

I'd think the oil should be lower than the non-sealed shafts anyway.

I believe the idea was that the bottom of the apron gears run in the oil and carry it around and over the top?

Mike

Gary Reif
05-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Dr Stan I don't think it is an oilflow sight glass, even with the 1/2 qt. in the gearbox I didn't see any oil movement while turning the handwheel.

mister honey The only seal I see is in the front of the handwheel where it exits the gearbox. I will try to find an oil level that lets the gears pick up enough oil to lube the gear train. There is a hand operated plunger type oil pump to feed the ways.

Thanks to both of you for the replies.
Gary

rickak
05-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Hey Gary , I have the same machine and the same thing happened to me.
Got it leveled ,cleaned it all up ,and noticed no oil in glass. Went to manuel
did it by the book. Came in next morning.....oil on the floor. After some thought,I decided there was probably only 1/2 to 3/4 cup on floor.
If I remember the iol is at the bottom of the glass. And thats where it stays.
Will check tomorrow.

Black_Moons
05-08-2010, 01:54 AM
If it makes you feel better, Chinese lathes often have the same problem...
Oil sight is either too low or too high.

On my lathe, in a perticular feed speed(gear), the oil sight is actualy *blocked*
So you can fill the entire gearbox to the very top and the oil sight still shows no oil... Found that out the hard way when it started comming back out the top.. with the oil sight still showing empty.

Fill it up to the bottom of the first unsealed shaft and call it good. Or more, and just let the excess drip into the chip pan :)

(Random protip: Install thick rubber washers (gaskets really) beween lathe and chippan, This prevents oil from leaking into your stand!)

Gary Reif
05-08-2010, 09:11 PM
rikack, I think we will do as you did and set it at the bottom of the sight glass.

Black_Moons,I have seen the sme thing you are talking about, just wouldn't expect it on a Lablond.

Thank you guys for the help.
Gary