X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snipe
    • Mar 2010

removing chrome?

Hello to all...I am a fairly new user here and have trully enjoyed the knowlege shared amongst the contribtutors. I have been wonering if there is a home process that can be used to remove chrome plating that is fairly safe to use? Any ideas? Thanks
    Darrin

sand blasting

Comment

• snipe
      • Mar 2010

can you remove all of the plating that way. From my expeience it has just etched the existing plating.

Comment

it depends on the abrasive, your pressure & flow rate and of course the thickness of the chrome.

Another option would be a tank electroplating set up. Just reverse the process so you could etch off the chrome. Google electroplating and you will find a ton of info.

If there is a plating company nearby it may be worth your time to see if they can etch off the chrome. Check with antique car restoration companies to find the plating company.

Comment

• radkins
          • Sep 2008

If you are talking real Chrome like you might find on a car bumper or maybe motorcycle parts then sandblasting will do little more than dull the shine. You might be able to remove small areas but even that will be a chore, if however, it is just "flash chromed" then sandblasting may work OK. I have done a lot of sandblasting for rust removal and unless chromed areas were rusting then the plating simply was too hard to do much with. If these parts are not too large you can use reverse plating by dipping in a solution of water and wash soda (NOT baking soda) and using a battery charger for a power source. Even this method is kind of slow but it will remove chrome, rust and any other contaminate on the metal.

Comment

• garyphansen
            • Aug 2004

I don't know, the chrome on the bumper of my F150 seems to be coming off all by its self. Gary P. Hansen
            In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

• vpt
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by garyphansen
              I don't know, the chrome on the bumper of my F150 seems to be coming off all by its self. Gary P. Hansen

Yes I have seen this lots lately too. Seems quality isn't job #1 anymore.
              Andy

Comment

• Circlip
                • Jun 2008

Chrome is a HARD colourless (colorless) coating. Most successful way to get it orft is reverse plating. Once the chrome is off, the NICKEL (the shiney bit) can be sandblasted or sanded off to get to the bare metal.

Once went through the Alchemy methods of acids and things, ended up with a SCRAP component.

Regards Ian.
                You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

• radkins
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Circlip
                  Once went through the Alchemy methods of acids and things, ended up with a SCRAP component. Regards Ian.

That's why I use the reverse method I mentioned earlier, I use it mostly for rust removal but I have removed plating with it. No danger of damaging anything and it removes Chrome, rust, paint or about anything else on the metal, it even completely removes rust to the very bottom of tiny pits.

Comment

rakins,

is this the process you use? http://ct-web2.unh.edu/lee/electrolysis.htm

Comment

• Boucher
                      • Jul 2005

Similar question about chrome mud pump rods.

I have some mud pump rods that are about 1" dia and chrome plated over most of their length. I was thinking about using them to make some Arbors. The mud pump rods that I have turned in the past were not plated and they machined so nice that they allmost looked plated after finish turning. How do you think it would work If I took a cut underneath the chrome to remove it? The First Arbor that I need to make is 0.875 so I have enough material to play with. The Electro plating/rust removal set up is on the to do list and I have most of the materials accumulated but currently have not completed it .
                      Byron Boucher
                      Burnet, TX

Comment

• saltmine
                        • Nov 2008

After my clash with trying to cut down a chrome plated socket, I'd say, yes, you can cut through the chrome, but don't expect HSS to even scratch it.
                        In my case, I went to an indexable carbide bit, and lots of cutting oil.

I don't know how hard good chrome plating is, this socket I cut down was a Taiwan cheapie, but the plating was like Rockwell 90
                        No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

• radkins
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Dr Stan
                          rakins,

is this the process you use? http://ct-web2.unh.edu/lee/electrolysis.htm

That's it and it works every bit as good as they say it does. One thing I found out is that for the current more is not better so stick to the suggestions in that link as it seems to be a very good description of that method..

BTW, Don't use stainless steel for any part of this system since it can give off some nasty fumes!
                          Last edited by radkins; 05-08-2010, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• RWO
                            • Mar 2010

Brownells sells a electrolytic stripper chemical that is safe on steel:

RWO

Comment

• David S Newman
                              • Dec 2006

We used to use 50/50 hydrochrolic acid and water, stroke the chrome in the solution with a piece of zinc to activate, it will then start to fizz it may attack the steel very slightly but not much before the chrome is removed. David
                              Last edited by David S Newman; 05-08-2010, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X