PDA

View Full Version : coolant return passages clogged?

Black Forest
05-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Anyone have any miraculous way to clear clogged coolant return passages in the table saddle and knee? I am not sure how long my newly acquired 58 year old horizontal mill was used without coolant(they had problems with the coolant motor). I have most of the passages cleaned out but there is one that I can't get to without removing the table and saddle. I have tried compressed air and direct water pressure but it did not help. I wish I could just pour some drano in it!

hawgwrench
05-09-2010, 10:45 AM
How large a diameter is the passage in question? Wondering if a "spring" with a soldered bit on the end could be used by hand/drill...like a cobbled up "snake",just smaller scale.

JoeFin
05-09-2010, 10:52 AM
I was going to say air - but you already tried that

Only other thing I use is a bent up Al. Tig welding filler rod

Black Forest
05-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I tried snaking some wire in and turning like a snake. NO luck.

A guess on the diameter would be around 1 inch. I even took a brass brazing rod and put it in my drill and tried to snake that in. NO luck. The passage makes two nineties I think and a wire stiff enough to do any good won't make the bend.

I guess I will lift off the table and saddle!

John Stevenson
05-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I have used chopped up pieces of parking brake bowden cable in the past.

Feed the inner cable down twisting as you go then chop off a piece of outer about 3" shorter, stick in in a cordless drill, hold the outer and try pushing that down. That should clear 3"
When it's cleared that bit chop the outer cable shorter and do it again.

Cordless drill, low speed and it is easily controllable even though it's like trying to thread spagetti.

Also helps if you splay the ends slightly.

lazlo
05-09-2010, 11:21 AM
I have most of the passages cleaned out but there is one that I can't get to without removing the table and saddle. I have tried compressed air and direct water pressure but it did not help. I wish I could just pour some drano in it!

I've put Kerosene or mineral spirits in the pump reservoir, and fired it through the coolant system, then let it sit overnight. Repeat until you don't feel a lot of pushback on the lever. I follow the mineral spirits with ATF, which has a ton of detergents that clean the gunk out of the lines. The nice advantage of ATF is that it's red, so you can see when the lines are finally flowing.

Black Forest
05-09-2010, 02:54 PM
I ended up pulling the table and saddle off. It wasn't so bad a job. It only weighed around 500 pounds! The passage was so blocked I had to use a hammer on a punch to break it up and clean it out. I felt better after I cleaned it because I don't think there would be any way to have done it without pulling the table and saddle off. It wasn't too bad a job. I just pulled my excavator in the shop were I am cleaning this relic up before I put it in place. My intention is to use it more as a saw than a mill. I will build fixtures for cutting angles ans such.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/drain.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/millnotable.jpg