PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Chuck question

Ken_Shea
05-10-2010, 09:03 PM
I need to get a 6x18 magnetic chuck, is there a preference for the permanent magnet or the electromagnetic?

Thanks
Ken

Toolguy
05-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Most electro chucks can vary the amount of pull as well as demag the part when done. You have to get the controller too, of course. The perm chucks are a lot cheaper, comparing new to new. I get along fine with a perm chuck and a $30.00 Enco demag device.

Ken_Shea
05-10-2010, 09:37 PM
You sure they have a controller?, all the ones I have seen just plugged in to any 110 outlet.

Lew Hartswick
05-10-2010, 09:50 PM
You sure they have a controller?, all the ones I have seen just plugged in to any 110 outlet.
The one that came with our ( something that starts wirh O and is
from Japan) has a controler with variable strength and a "de-mag"
switch to release.
...Lew...

Ken_Shea
05-10-2010, 09:52 PM
OK, that makes sense, although never have seen any of those, bet they are big bucks.

oldtiffie
05-10-2010, 10:15 PM
I need to get a 6x18 magnetic chuck, is there a preference for the permanent magnet or the electromagnetic?

Thanks
Ken

Ken.

I have two - a 10 x 6 and a 12 x 6 - permanent magnetic chucks and I have no problem with them - at all. I can adjust mine by using the "on-off" lever and just leaving it in the position there the magnetic attraction "feels" or "seems" "about right". I have it "full on" as my default condition/state.

You can control it as well by putting selected sheets of paper under the job. It may surprise you as to how steeply the attraction drops off with small gaps between the job and the chuck face.

If you do reduce the attraction - or more so when grinding small parts anyway - make sure that you use the fences (side/s and end/s) that come with the chuck as well as steel "stop-strips".

I have no objection to electric chucks - but its just one more thing to be wary of that isn't the case with a permanent/non-electric chuck.

Ken_Shea
05-10-2010, 10:22 PM
The permanent magnet is attractive because of price, that's about all I knew between them.
If it holds the part that's good enough for me.
They seem to be equally available used, only the price difference. Saw a PM that appeared to be a decent one in Detroit for $125.