PDA

View Full Version : Kurt vise at Enco special

rockrat
05-10-2010, 09:27 PM
I was looking for some vise info and found that currently, Enco has Kurt vises on sale and is offering free shipping.

Just passing along the good word.

Here is the link for Enco's current deal - http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPAGE?PMPAGE=/specials/425-7640

Cheers
rock~

Ken_Shea
05-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Weird, no D-688 Kurt.

Still kicking myself for not getting the 2nd D-688 vise and purchasing a Parlec with the same design, great vice, no problem there but would have preferred a matching set, all for a lousy $100 difference. :(

metalmagpie
05-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Funny, that. I just sold my Bridgeport and the buyer was just replacing a really beat one so he had all his tooling and didn't want any of mine. I have a pretty clean Kurt D-688 I'm not going to need now. Where are you located?

metalmagpie
in the Seattle area

Ken_Shea
05-11-2010, 01:16 AM
In Ohio,
I have two vices now, they just don't match, and I regret not spending the extra to get a matching Kurt D-688.

Ken

Black_Moons
05-11-2010, 01:47 AM
In Ohio,
I have two vices now, they just don't match, and I regret not spending the extra to get a matching Kurt D-688.

Ken

Clearly, you now need three vises.

Ken_Shea
05-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Clearly, you now need three vises.

If you insist :D

Your Old Dog
05-11-2010, 08:19 AM
I got used to what I have, I'd have to re-engineer all my thinking if I had a vice accurate to .0002 :D

Alistair Hosie
05-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Now what is so magical about these very expensive vices admit it it's another status symbol? I can't see how they hold so much better than a cheaper model.Alistair

3jaw
05-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Now what is so magical about these very expensive vices admit it it's another status symbol? I can't see how they hold so much better than a cheaper model.Alistair
If you have never used a cheap import vise or an old worn out Bridgeport brand vise, then you wouldn't see the difference. Kurt's are top grade, not "status symbols".

3jaw

Ken_Shea
05-11-2010, 10:00 AM

That's not a fair statement Alistair, it was purchased because it is a quality vice and that was what I wanted.

Frank Ford
05-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Magical? No, but at least they don't do this:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Projects/ViseRepair/viserepair01.jpg

Just for the experience, I fixed it:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Projects/ViseRepair/viserepair.html

hitnmiss
05-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Was that vise left out on the porch all winter? :)

mototed
05-11-2010, 04:12 PM
hitnmiss
Was that vise left out on the porch all winter?
Oh lord, what is to be done with some of these guys?

Black_Moons
05-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Iv seen some of the cheaper import vises first hand on shop shelfs, it felt like grit was.. in the bearings and thread etc, the castings are generaly rough, sometimes missing features like properly milled bolt slots on the side, etc.

My kurt was SILK smooth the day I took it outta the box. the whole thing feels as precision as a high quality new mill or lathe, I don't have to worry about jaw lift, it just clamps near perfictly every time Iv bothered to measure, without beating on parts with a hammer or using rods or holddowns.

Im the last person to buy 'status symbol' things, I perfer cheapest thats highly functional. But when it comes to something like a vise that will hold 90% of your work, why would you settle for inaccuracy?
And honestly, $500 isent that much for a really high end machine tool that your going to be using most of the time. You can easily spend that much on a medium quality rotary table that you'll use only 10% of the time.

Alistair Hosie
05-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I wasn't being too serious with my question,actually I would never deny these are great vices and cannot compare with chinese eqivelent, but by thunder they aint exactly cheaply priced are they? What I suppose in a round about way I ask is when something is well held with a vice at half the price then can it be held any better with a kurt.I suppose it is a daft question as we all want good quality and I think if it's what you can afford buy it.In manyways just like a cheap car takes you from a to b just as easily as a rolls royce but then you want the luxury factor maybe in a way a kurt vice incorporates alot of luxury facors in it's price that's all I'm asking?Alistair sorry guys didn't mean to insult anyone.You can buy me one if you like anyone? anyone? anyone oh never mind .Alistair

Alistair Hosie
05-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Frank when I bought my fritz werner mill I bought a little vice that wasnt too cheap and it did this first time I used it. Makes you sick I wrote to the company guess what no reply.Alistair

mototed
05-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Well I bought a Kurt 688 on advice (advise;) ) from members here. Cost almost as much as my poor old mill. I'll never regret it. It's so smooth and accurate. It's one step to eliminating errors with other parts of the machine or me. Just thinking too, when I hand it down to my son, he can use it to hammer out parts with, or maybe as a welding holder.:eek:

Toolguy
05-11-2010, 06:41 PM
I have a Kurt 675 and 2 Kurt 688s. I use them on a daily basis. Your work can not be more accurate than the tools it's made with unless you spend a lot of time futzing around shimming and indicating. I don't have time to mess with that. I know all about making do and getting by, but It's best to have one's main pieces as good as possible, given the budget available.

gnm109
05-11-2010, 11:28 PM
I bought a Kurt D675 from Enco with free motor freight shipping late last year. I have a version of a 6.25" Phase II that I got as a demo from Harbor Freight more than ten years ago. It worked OK but was never what I would call great at securing the work. You really had to be careful.

The Kurt is noticeably better. With a set of parallels, it's almost always set when I lock it down, needing usually little more than a small tap with a soft hammer to secure things. Best of all, the movable jaw is adjustable and it takes standard soft jaws. The Phase II used metric bolts on the Jaws and they are spaced differently so that replacement soft jaws have to be machined for it.

Try a Kurt. You'll like it. The shipping alone is an excellent deal since the box weighs close to 100 #.

Black_Moons
05-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Actualy, for people who really dislike the high price of a kurt, Check out the price of a Glacern vise (Forum sponcer!), they are one of the few brands iv heard of that compair to Kurt in the quality department.
Of course, its still $300 for the normal 6" vise (And worth every penny), but I don't believe you can find an equal vise for cheaper.

Toolguy: Well said, it really is one less thing to fiddle/worry with and really does improve productivity due to less fiddleing.

rockrat
05-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Update, from another thread on this forum, Enco had a 15% code now ( WEBCMA ) that is good on everything. The D675 is down to $348 + free shipping.

I might run out to GMT and look around before I buy the Kurt.

edit - GMT, not a bad price, but with Enco's free shipping I'm saving about $30. But thats this time, next time it may fall the other way.

rock~

Ken_Shea
05-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Rock,
Get the Kurt,
I like GMT as a company and intend to purchase some cutters there, however, the Kurt is USA made and that to me is worth something for little to no price difference.

lazlo
05-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Still kicking myself for not getting the 2nd D-688 vise and purchasing a Parlec with the same design, great vice, no problem there but would have preferred a matching set, all for a lousy $100 difference. :(

Ken, most grind shops will match-grind a pair of Kurts for a "nominal" fee. I was quoted $100, probably not coincidentally.

Ken_Shea
05-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Ken, most grind shops will match-grind a pair of Kurts for a "nominal" fee. I was quoted $100, probably not coincidentally.

The surface grinder here does not have enough in/out feed to do them, but that's a good suggestion. What's your opinion on the chance of repositioning them and getting it right?

lazlo
05-12-2010, 12:02 PM
What's your opinion on the chance of repositioning them and getting it right?

Pretty good, I would think. I think Kurt spec's them to be matched within a couple of tenths, you should be able to hit that on a single dress.

Ken_Shea
05-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Pretty good, I would think. I think Kurt spec's them to be matched within a couple of tenths, you should be able to hit that on a single dress.

There is a very good base to seat it at the least, soon as I get this grinders bed removed and cleaned I will be doing that.

Thanks