PDA

View Full Version : The DSG arrives....5100 lbs of glory - warning tons of photos

Mcgyver
05-10-2010, 10:23 PM
my deal on the Dean Smith and Grace was for another $300 they had to deliver (almost 2 hours away) and get in the garage----what a deal that turned out to be!

It arrived on a car trailer and they guys using four jacks would lift the lathe from the open centre of the trailer and pull the trailer forward. this took about six iterations as they had to stop every foot or so and reposition jacks because of the horizontal girders making up the trailer. It was disconcerting see that lathe two feet in air on four skinny jacks... I kept well back as the guys casually moved about, reaching and lying down beside the lathe getting the next stack of blocs ready

I'm already finding the sins, anyone knowing where used parts might be found?

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/shop%20may%2010/DSC_3938Large.jpg

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/shop%20may%2010/DSC_3954Large.jpg

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/shop%20may%2010/DSC_3962Large.jpg

how heavy duty this is barely comes through in the pics - there's a jacobs chuck beside the steady that gives some sense on how massive this stuff is. Two things missing, the DSG drilling attachment (a 4MT thing that bolts to the saddle so you can power drill using the carriage power feed) and a d1 6 faceplate....if anyone's got such a thing for sale

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/shop%20may%2010/DSC_3973Large.jpg

Mcgyver
05-10-2010, 10:24 PM
For all the doubters that didn’t think I could shoe horn this in, here’s some shop pocs. Every tool is present form the early pics except the shaper. The Standard Modern is blocking a lista, buts its going. Now this time I will admit I probably only have room for one or two more…this is a 22x22 garage

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/shop%20may%2010/DSC_3963Large.jpg

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/shop%20may%2010/DSC_3964Large.jpg

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/shop%20may%2010/DSC_3966Large.jpg

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/shop%20may%2010/DSC_3967Large.jpg

Mcgyver
05-10-2010, 10:24 PM
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/shop%20may%2010/DSC_3970Large.jpg

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/shop%20may%2010/DSC_3972Large.jpg

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/shop%20may%2010/DSC_3975Large.jpg

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/shop%20may%2010/DSC_3981Large.jpg

EddyCurr
05-10-2010, 10:42 PM
my deal on the DSG was for another $300 they had to deliver (almost 2 hours away) and get in the garage----what a deal that turned out to be!

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/shop%20may%2010/DSC_3954Large.jpgWhat a deal, indeed.

This is my favorite of the photos. The jack in the foreground appears
to be overhanging the edge of its block.

Ken_Shea
05-10-2010, 10:44 PM
I was one of those doubters, you da man :)

I really like that last shot, the one where you are hanging from a rafter :D

Willy
05-10-2010, 11:01 PM
You need help Mcgyver. Worst case of toolaholic I've seen in a while. Don't think I've ever seen it manifest itself to this extent.:D

Seriously I'm more than a little envious, good score, especially with the $300 moving fee "thrown in".
All you need to do now is shorten the driveway a notch and you may be able increase floor space another 5-800 sq. ft.

I'll bet people walking by on the sidewalk late at night can hear the giggle of a little boy in the distance.;)

KiddZimaHater
05-10-2010, 11:01 PM
that picture with your huge lathe resting on 4 teeny-weeny jacks makes me cringe.:eek:
Thank god you got it situated safely.

Ken_Shea
05-10-2010, 11:04 PM
You need help Mcgyver. Worst case of toolaholic I've seen in a while. Don't think I've ever seen it manifest itself to this extent.:D

Somebody stop me :D

Robin R
05-10-2010, 11:07 PM
I believe at least some DSG lathes, the power drilling attachment was noting more than a way to attach the tailstock to the saddle. Unless you've seen a picture of something different for your lathe, I'd look through the tooling that came with it and see if there's a likely looking widget.

Mcgyver
05-10-2010, 11:19 PM
that picture with your huge lathe resting on 4 teeny-weeny jacks makes me cringe.

you and me both, all i could do was pace...I was not driving the bus! but the guys claimed they knew what they were doing, had all their digits, and got it done without incident.

I'll bet people walking by on the sidewalk late at night can hear the giggle of a little boy in the distance

hehe, so true

yeah I've got it bad....just need to go get all these old girls back to their former states of glory. T&CG ground up scraping job is pretty much done, Monarch is another mountain to climb and there's bport cnc sitting there as well....plus whatever i find on the DSG

Robin, here's a pic of the drilling attachment. DSG, still around, responded to my email with lathe serial number within 24 hours with a copy of there original invoice from 1966 - which included this attachment....but it was long ago separated from the machine

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/shop%20may%2010/ClipboardImage.jpg

Robin R
05-10-2010, 11:28 PM
That would have been a sweet attachment, so is making a replica on your list?

Pherdie
05-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Are those Harbor Freight jacks????

BillDaCatt
05-11-2010, 12:08 AM
...Two things missing, the DSG drilling attachment (a 4MT thing that bolts to the saddle so you can power drill using the carriage power feed) and a d1 6 faceplate....if anyone's got such a thing for sale.

Shars.com (http://www.shars.com/product_categories/search/?search=D1-6) sells D1-6 lathe chuck adapter plates (with studs) in 8", 10", and 12" sizes. Maybe one of those could work as a faceplate or be used to attach a faceplate. http://www.shars.com/product_categories/search/?search=D1-6

They deal almost exclusively in imports from China but the few items I have bought from them have been much better than I was expecting.

Timleech
05-11-2010, 03:04 AM
I believe at least some DSG lathes, the power drilling attachment was noting more than a way to attach the tailstock to the saddle. Unless you've seen a picture of something different for your lathe, I'd look through the tooling that came with it and see if there's a likely looking widget.

Here's mine, on a slightly bigger machine.

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss38/Timleech_2009/DSCF2774.jpg

Very useful bit of kit. Did DSG offer to sell you one? They do sometimes have secondhand stuff for sale.
Mine came without the original MT4 holder with screw ejector, so I made that (MT5) holder by turning down the tailstock barrel from a lathe I'd broken up previously.

What model is your lathe? I see it has the carriage handwheel on the left, US-style.

Tim

John Stevenson
05-11-2010, 04:05 AM
Personally I'd have gotten rid of the Unimat, 7th picture.
It's obviously taking up too much room :D

Nice move but the lathe on 4 jacks is very scary, don't care if they have done it before or not.

I hope you paid after it was inside at ground level ?

jackary
05-11-2010, 04:17 AM
As an apprentice I used to walk round the machine shop and always my friend and I used to think that the DSG was the dogs bollocks of a beast, sheer strength. Good on ya Mcgyver
Alan

MuellerNick
05-11-2010, 05:07 AM
Nice machines, very nice new lathe!
But I wonder how you can actually do some work in your shop. And even ... um ... how do you recondition a machine? Disassemble it, paint it, scrape it?

Seems a few people are better organized than me. :rolleyes:

Nick

Your Old Dog
05-11-2010, 05:25 AM
Smooth move Mac! This thing going to dim the lights in the neighborhood when you power it up? :D

Looks like another yard sale I'll have to be sure and make someday. Thanks for the pics. They make me feel normal !!

Mcgyver
05-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Looks like another yard sale I'll have to be sure and make someday. Thanks for the pics. They make me feel normal !!

yeah my kids are gonna hate me :D.

Nick, the work i've done so far involved disassembling, cleaning, making/ replacing broken/worn parts, scraping, changing out of bearings, etc. One required a complete scraped rebuild. I used to paint but have pretty much given up on paint...when it comes to machine tools they all, at least the safe home use ones, are inferior products. The objective is a great shop full of some of the best machines if excellent condition, all done without spending much. I am quite tired of fixing machines and want to get back to machining projects.

JS, the unimat is still the right tool for some jobs....I've had it since was like 12....its staying :). Plus it lets me up the lathe count when bragging at the bar (unfortunately few of whose constituents know what a lathe is). I bought it delivered and that's how they did it, other than taking pics for posterity and your amusement, oh and making coffee, I just kept my distance.

Very useful bit of kit. Did DSG offer to sell you one? They do sometimes have secondhand stuff for sale.

I was scared to ask...didn't realize they sometimes sold used. I'm compiling a list and will get prices then decide which i can live without or make or fix. By the width of the carriage that must be a big lathe Tim...mines a type 13, 13x42.

Bill, thanks for tip...the D1 6 is common enough I figure one will meander along in good time. I still may grab some back plates though, I've a nice little 4 jaw of maximat that is sometimes handier than the Goliath that came with the DSG

wierdscience
05-11-2010, 08:03 AM
I like it,I like it alot can I be in your will?:)

When you get it level post and tell us how you did it,we haven't had a 15 page lathe leveling thread in awhile:)

Mcgyver
05-11-2010, 08:15 AM
I like it,I like it alot can I be in your will?:)

When you get it level post and tell us how you did it,we haven't had a 15 page lathe leveling thread in awhile:)

:D if i put you in the will, at least you'll already know how to move it.

and I've only done 4 bolters before....those extra two bolts on this one ought to add considerably to the length of the thread. The garage floor has a enough of a slope that I' going to jack it into approximate level, measure and make load bearing disks of different thickness to overcome the worst of slope, then fine tune as per manual.

wierdscience
05-11-2010, 08:24 AM
:D if i put you in the will, at least you'll already know how to move it.

and I've only done 4 bolters before....those extra two bolts on this one ought to add considerably to the length of the thread. The garage floor has a enough of a slope that I' going to jack it into approximate level, measure and make load bearing disks of different thickness to overcome the worst of slope, then fine tune as per manual.

What,your not going to account for gravitational variances or the wavelength of the apparent color of the machine?Geez,I'm running to the store to stock up,thread could go on for weeks:D

lazlo
05-11-2010, 08:30 AM
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/shop%20may%2010/DSC_3981Large.jpg

You've made a parking lot of iron! How are you going to get anything done?

Mcgyver
05-11-2010, 08:30 AM
or maybe given how hard our floors are in Canada I should just lap it to the floor :D

You've made a parking lot of iron! How are you going to get anything done?

I'm on a diet

everything's fully accessible except the big cnc (which doesn't work, yet). obviously its more cramped than i'd like, but when faced with the Q of getting a machine and being cramped or not getting the machine, well, guess which won :)

lazlo
05-11-2010, 08:42 AM
everything's fully accessible except the big cnc (which doesn't work, yet).

Get rid of the 10EE and the Bridgeport CNC. You said they're both dead, and represent HUGE projects to get working again. That plus the standard modern would free up enough space to actually do something besides collecting machines :D

Mcgyver
05-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Get rid of the 10EE and the Bridgeport CNC. You said they're both dead, and represent HUGE projects to get working again. That plus the standard modern would free up enough space to actually do something besides collecting machines :D

Naw, I'll miss em too much....I think i can still get a 12" shaper and vertical bandsaw in here...the Standard Modern is going , it'll be like a dance floor then

Glenn Wegman
05-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Looks like there's plenty of wasted height...;)

Timleech
05-11-2010, 11:35 AM
yeah my kids are gonna hate me :D.

My wife has a moan now & then because she frets about what she would do with all my stuff if I go first.....

I was scared to ask...didn't realize they sometimes sold used. I'm compiling a list and will get prices then decide which i can live without or make or fix. By the width of the carriage that must be a big lathe Tim...mines a type 13, 13x42.

Mine's a 1910 x 40 (19" swing), a later design where they did make the whole carriage bigger, also went back to a flat bed except for the tailstock way.

Tim

Errol
05-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Nice shop, a bit crowded, but whose shop isn't. What impresses me is how clean and organized your shop is.

In my shop, most times I can't find a flat spot to set the coffee cup down, end up balancing it up somewhere then when I find it, it's got chips or grinding slag in it.

And I've got two vacuum cleaners.

wierdscience
05-11-2010, 12:50 PM
My wife has a moan now & then because she frets about what she would do with all my stuff if I go first.....

Tim

My boss has a plan for that,he already has the auction company picked out.

His only other instructions to her were to be sure and put his wallet and toolbox in the casket with him.He says wherever he ends up someone will want something fixed or want him to pay for something:D

hornluv
05-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Wow... just... wow! That garage is a masterpiece of spacial organization. BTW, in the last pic, is that one of those motion activated paper towel dispensers like one would see in a public restroom? If so, that's pretty spiffy.

quasi
05-11-2010, 03:09 PM
there is another DSG for sale on the Federal Gov. Surplus site. It is in Manitoba, I can not remember if it is a 13 or a 17. They are sure selling a lot of them in the last few years, I wonder why? This is the second to be surplussed in Manitoba in the last 2 years.

Alistair Hosie
05-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I used to think that the DSG was the dogs bollocks of a beast
no that would almost certainly be the dboab lathe;) Alistair

Wow nice big lathe incidently you stole it at that price you couldn't gwet it delivered here for that money.They must have needed the room badly. well done now enjoy over the next few decades.Alistair

doctor demo
05-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Nice move but the lathe on 4 jacks is very scary, don't care if they have done it before or not.
I hope you paid after it was inside at ground level ?
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the pic, but wasn't going to say anything until Pherdie mentioned horable freight .

It is so blatantly obvious they should have only used three, much easier to control and balance:D

Steve

Fasttrack
05-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Naw, I'll miss em too much....I think i can still get a 12" shaper and vertical bandsaw in here...the Standard Modern is going , it'll be like a dance floor then

:) I'm glad I'm not alone.

Well done, sir. You mentioned that you were begining to notice some of the sins of it's previous owners or something like that. What have you found so far? It looks pretty decent compared to the sh*t I normally drag home :D

You're skill and experience far outweighs mine, but if I can help let me know! (That's right ... I just called you old :D) I have a way of finding odd-ball parts. Part of my pack-rat syndrome; I'll keep my eye out for any accessories or parts you want.

Not sure about finding that drilling attachment, but a backing plate might show up...

vpt
05-11-2010, 07:35 PM
That unimat has the rare power feed option!

I'm slackin, I can still get 2 cars in my 25x36 shop and still have room to run around.

Maybe if I show my wife these pics she will realize I need more machines.

Mcgyver
05-11-2010, 07:41 PM
thanks guys, Alistair, I didn't buy it for $300 we added three hundred to the price for delivery which was a two hour drive or thereabouts.

Tom, dirty oil, looks like the way oiler was empty, lots of dirt and crude ...that sort of thing...the only howler i've found was that the based to the compound, ie the round part that sits on the cross slide with the dovetail on top, had had a chunk broken off and then welded back on. the result is that the bottom is far from flat and there are some brutal chill spots making scraping impossible. I can't grind because there's the post in the middle that it pivots on. one option is to scrape the 90% i can and remove material with a a die grinder where i can't scrape...its a bad enough that when the two bolts holding it to cross slide, the tightness of the dovetail changes dramatically. its not getting much support and of course all loads on the toolbit get transmitted trough these bits....the need to fit well. Options are scrape and die grind, find a used one, carve one out of durabar....i'm scared to get a price for new from DSG.

had it running tonight....phase converter handles it just fine. its 7.5 hp and i couldn't remember if i put a 7.5 or 10 hp on my rotary....must be that aging thing Tom's talking about :D

oh yeah, stage one leveled it. madman's toe jack ruled the day, they ought to put a statue up to that man and his toe jack. Stage one leveling is when you approximately level the machine in situ to allow the concrete slab to reach equilibrium....weird taught me all about it :D

Robin R
05-11-2010, 08:13 PM
What about sending the base of the compound out to the heat treater, that might be the cheapest and easiest way to deal with the problem.

Dr Stan
05-11-2010, 08:23 PM
I just showed my wife the pics of your shop. The look on her face was priceless. :D

Her response was "at least there's another one of you in the universe" to which I replied "there's more than one". :D

wierdscience
05-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Stage one leveling is when you approximately level the machine in situ to allow the concrete slab to reach equilibrium....weird taught me all about it :D

No that's stage two leveling,stage one is setting the machine on the floor and making a cut with it.If the test bar mics right don't f--- with it,ever:D

Glenn Wegman
05-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I can't grind because there's the post in the middle that it pivots on.

Mine has a removable post/pin with a retaining ring in the middle to leep the pin from falling into the lower bore on the cross slide.

Cut the post off, bore the bottom of the compound and pin it!

Then grind all you want. Or buy that Shaper and clean it up.

Pratt Whitnet built a dandy Rotary Surface Grinder just for jobs like that as well. You could probably squeeze one of the in there somewhere!

j king
05-11-2010, 09:23 PM
nice lathe for sure. That thing will spray chips EVERY where lol! You will be finding chips from now till the final cleaning after the move!

Timleech
05-12-2010, 03:55 AM
thanks guys, Alistair, I didn't buy it for $300 we added three hundred to the price for delivery which was a two hour drive or thereabouts.

Tom, dirty oil, looks like the way oiler was empty, lots of dirt and crude ...that sort of thing...the only howler i've found was that the based to the compound, ie the round part that sits on the cross slide with the dovetail on top, had had a chunk broken off and then welded back on. the result is that the bottom is far from flat and there are some brutal chill spots making scraping impossible. I can't grind because there's the post in the middle that it pivots on. one option is to scrape the 90% i can and remove material with a a die grinder where i can't scrape...its a bad enough that when the two bolts holding it to cross slide, the tightness of the dovetail changes dramatically. its not getting much support and of course all loads on the toolbit get transmitted trough these bits....the need to fit well. Options are scrape and die grind, find a used one, carve one out of durabar....i'm scared to get a price for new from DSG.

What about a toolpost grinder in one of your other lathes?

I'm breaking my 1950s DSG 17" when I can find the time (you can bet your life that won't be until after the price of scrap has collapsed again :( ), I can measure the compound on that if you like 'just in case'. Of course, the newness has worn off it by now. Freight health warning, I am in the UK.

Tim

Mcgyver
05-12-2010, 09:22 AM
RIm & Robin, great suggestions, hadn't thought of either

using a tool post grinder for a facing cut hadn't occurred.....I like it

uncle pete
02-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Mcgyver,
I must have missed this thread when it was first posted. Logicly your only partially helping to counter balance the gravitational deflection created by Sir Johns shop in the U.K. But it's nice to see your shop pictures and where the magic happens like your cut knuling tool. An awesome shop, But I'm even more jealous of the concrete floor. (Well the DS&G too of course)

Pete

mike4
02-14-2012, 02:39 AM
I just showed my wife the pics of your shop. The look on her face was priceless. :D

Her response was "at least there's another one of you in the universe" to which I replied "there's more than one". :D
I think that she should be sitting in a comfortable chair when you tell her that we are all over the world!
Michael::D

rbertalotto
02-18-2012, 03:45 PM
A Man Simply can't have enough lathes!

sasquatch
02-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Mcgyver,,, Thanks for the great impressive shop tour.

Very enjoyable, real nice clear pics. (and lots of them, which we thrive on!!)

Congratulations on the lathe and finally getting it in place safely!!

Forrest Addy
02-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Danm! McGuyver, I see on one of those [photos a patch of floor without a machine on it. What do you propose to do with this embarassing gap?

Yeah a DS&G lathe is an imposing machine tool. Its proportions make mine took like a hobby lathe.

TexasTurnado
02-18-2012, 08:27 PM

:D

Why not put a rotary table on the grinder and grind it that way (assuming you can find one accurate enough)? Either that or machine off the pin, drill and ream for a replacement after grinding flat? I am facing the same problem on the compound base on my SAG 12, but I believe the pin is pressed in.

Mcgyver
02-18-2012, 08:31 PM
thanks Gents,

a patch of floor you say? A blot on my escutcheon!

It didn't last long. I shoe horned in a second 10ee. Did a lot of rearranging, temporarily put my woodworking bench in storage which let me fit the second 10ee as well as set the bridgeport cnc up so that you could properly access it (thread in digital section on its conversion to servos).

eyes were bigger than my stomach, the second 10ee is just passing through, trying to sell it. I thought i'd recondition both but work demands are making it a challenge to get one done.

When I get rid of the second 10ee, the woodworking bench goes back up and I think I'm done (until i can extend a wall or something). Wood working bench will go back up on a custom made frame with storage underneath including a small lista i picked up.

seeing this thread come back made me reflect on the adventure this is has been. ...everybody seems to like pics so time for a DSG update. A lots gone into it in a year and half!

The motor blew up. As best I can figure age and vibration got the better of wire and insulation. After pricing I decided to rewind the motor and install new bearings, slightly cheaper than new (but essentially it gives you a new motor) and then there's no messing around the the pecker head fittings etc. Fixing that was one of the worst jobs, its heavy (7.5 hp) and very grimy under there. Worst part is the headstock is at the garage door - I have to service that end of the lathe with the garage door open. Happened in the middle of winter. Freezing my arse and fingers off lying in the snow trying get all the greasy fasters out and in. Yuck.

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSG/DSC_6444-large-large.jpg

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSG/DSC_6456edit-large.jpg

The original cracked/welded base to the compound solved itself wonderfully. One of the guys at PM had this very casting, in Canada, and sold to be me for next to nothing. This of course meant some scraping was required.

A survey suggested the ways were very good - they get lubed from a pump on the carriage, but the rest could use attention. I ended up scraping the cross slide and compound, it is really nice now

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSG/DSC_8456-large.jpg

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSG/DSC_8460-large.jpg

Mcgyver
02-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Needed to make new gibs as well as adjsuting screws, the old were ratty. Was able to get a perfect Witworth fit through careful measurement with thread wires

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSG/DSC_8765-large.jpg

Next, a contactor in the panel fried itself. Decision was made to redo the panel, on the cheap from my surplus buddy.
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSG/DSC_8900-large.jpg

I got a very nice Dickson QCTP from one of the good folk here and need holders. If you don't have a horizontal, get one, they're cheap and its a gas talking off metal like this in a single pass

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSG/DSC_7729-large.jpg

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSG/DSC_7839-large.jpg

Mcgyver
02-18-2012, 08:32 PM
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSG/DSC_7885-large.jpg

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSG/DSC_7964-large.jpg

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSG/DSC_8217-large.jpg

can you tell i like horizontal mill pics?

Mcgyver
02-18-2012, 08:34 PM
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSG/DSC_9690-large-large.jpg

Tooling. Had a rubberflex, added a hardinge 2j chuck. Each has there little advantages. Also have this giant collect chuck i churned up, goes up to 2.5" or something crazy. Haven't tried it, isn't yet a D1-6 mount. I replaced the 3 jaw with a lightly used Rohm that came up and also bought a faceplate via Ebay. I'm running out of tooling to buy!

Made this little cart that everything sits on and it wheels under my shear for storage.

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSG/DSC_9605-large.jpg

The lathe is running well, been using all the tooling including the taper attachment and steadies...Think I've pretty much got it where i want it

legendboy
02-18-2012, 08:43 PM
whats the price for the ee?

Mcgyver
02-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Corey, I'll send you an email

flylo
02-18-2012, 11:13 PM
I'm impressed! A man after my own heart. Why have floor space, that's where the tools go. I bought the Leblond & everyone said it was too big. I'll get pics of the boye Emmes 22"x96" 8000#, 15HP with taper attachment. Go Big or go Home. I love it! Good job.:D

Mcgyver
02-24-2012, 12:30 PM
This is the pelf you reach to apprehend without having all the business-like conversations invigorated in your noggin when you?re picking selfsame out. Is it beefy only admissible but not too big? Single-mindedness it confine my parcelling extinguished crone and my book? Can I dovetail my uncertainty folders in there and my cubicle phone and my wallet? Does it na‹ve at least two sequestered pockets so I can exhibit my keys and certitude long-wearing gag man aside from full-bodied countless else? When picking gone away from your Ball Nearest girls, bully down these questions to the cross of tumbledown cobblers because you firmly exclusively inadequateness immensity voyage of your lipstick. Instead run from yourself the more congenital bigoted lingo vim questions. Silk or satin? Beaded or fabric? Hegemony or chain-link? Pass‚ or new? Injurious or teeny? Bags pro nighttime should tickle your deepest pucker pleasures.

airsmith is back?

well at least someone like all the pics!

lazlo
02-24-2012, 01:01 PM

Pictures of cheap, designer handbags? :)

Black Forest
02-24-2012, 01:11 PM
The post you quoted has the word dovetail in it so it is machining related!

lazlo
02-24-2012, 01:13 PM
I just ordered one of McGyver's cheap designer handbags. I'll let you know how it works out...

Mcgyver
02-24-2012, 01:27 PM
I hope you appreciate the special pocket for the vernier complete with leather tip guards

uncle pete
02-24-2012, 01:59 PM
airsmith is back?

LOL, I just had to clean off the coffee sprayed in the keyboards general direction.

I guess those fake Louis Vitton designer tool packin bags would be an absolute must requirement for the latest in spring machinist fashions when you just hate to be unpresentable?

I tried just once to use Google translate to make a post on a German machinist forum. It pretty well made about as much sense as that spammers very unwanted post.

Pete

Alistair Hosie
02-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Well brother I hope you got it at a good price in any case you deserve it. That's almost as crowded as my shop:D I too was panicking when I saw it on those four little stilts still they obviously know their stuff when it comes to delivering. I love your shop have many years of safe fun God bless Alistair

Ian B
02-25-2012, 02:25 AM
McGyver,

Lovely lathe!

Way back in your first posting, you asked if anyone had a D1-6 faceplate. I don't (mine takes D1-8 stuff), but Colchester Triumphs use a D1-6 fitting, so anything that fits them (and there are lots of them around) should fit your DS&G.

Ian

rmuell01
02-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Mcg,

I don't think I understand this pic. Could you explain what measurements you obtain?
thanks

rob

thanks Gents,

A survey suggested the ways were very good - they get lubed from a pump on the carriage, but the rest could use attention. I ended up scraping the cross slide and compound, it is really nice now

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSG/DSC_8456-large.jpg

Mcgyver
02-25-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm checking the alignment of the dovetail to the lathe's axis. The dowel pin is indicated at shown then the spindle rotated around and the other end is checked.

The lathe should face slightly concave so these two indicator readings should not be same. I forget the figure, but there's a stated amount in the manual; 1/2 a thou or something over a say a foot. This check is part of what you have to do scrape the dovetail angled surface

rmuell01
02-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks Mcg

do you check the inside of the carriage as well (opposite of what is shown)?

And it looks like it is scraped already. did you measure this before you scraped as well?

I'm checking the alignment of the dovetail to the lathe's axis. The dowel pin is indicated at shown then the spindle rotated around and the other end is checked.

The lathe should face slightly concave so these two indicator readings should not be same. I forget the figure, but there's a stated amount in the manual; 1/2 a thou or something over a say a foot. This check is part of what you have to do scrape the dovetail angled surface

Mcgyver
03-01-2012, 07:31 PM
The second dovetail angled surface isn't indicated like the pic, but its scraped dead on parallel to one indicated by measuring across pins - ground pins laid in the dovetails and good micrometer. The second angled dovetail is scraped so its flat and the pins are equal distance measured across the dovetails at one end then the other. If its looked like its scraped first its because you're seeing the horizontal surface - the two horizontals are scraped flat and parallel (ideally coplanar) before either angled surfaces are touched

huntinguy
03-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Fifty pounds of potatoes in a ten pound bag. And done darn well I might add. :D

JoeLee
03-01-2012, 10:24 PM
I would feel a lot better when I know you have that machine sitting on the floor.
Thanks for the nice pics.

JL.............